Problems Newbies Run Into

Discussion in 'New Player Experience Feedback' started by Bedawyn, Oct 14, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justiciar

Justiciar Avatar

Hi.
    Anyone know how I can apply to be a Hospitaler? After buying a bunch of low-cost equipment from Scooby Doo I decided to give my old stuff away and ended up guiding someone through a few of the things I've learned about the game. Maybe it'll be easier on noobs if I can teach them a few of the basics.

2. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

You can choose and show the title "Hospitaler". It should be used responsibly.

Duke Aventine, Justiciar and Jaesun like this.
  3. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Exactly. This title is basically for any player to use at any time you wish to be in a position to help other players. I do this from time to time in some of the cities next to the outskirts areas. Just to help and answer questions players might have. Be sure to have Zone and Local chat on as well.

Justiciar likes this.
  4. Justiciar

Justiciar Avatar

Thanks!

5. Nick

Nick Avatar

Justiciar and Jaesun like this.
  6. Justiciar

Justiciar Avatar

@Nick, Yes, I think it's very useful. It should probably be made into a few intro screens displayed when a person first creates a character. Btw, the name of the "old world" is missing, as well as explanation of the terms "Novia" and "New Brittania". A simple "The survivors called the remade world New Brittania, and Novia was its principal continent." would suffice.
    Oh, and Nick, the reason I like sieges is that they have an unlimited fast-respawning supply of tier 2 and tier 4 enemies for me to hunt. My main problem with them is the occasional random hit from a siege cannon (200-300hp), the tendency of enemies to "leash" a lot with invulnerability and free healing, and the fact that champions and siege engineers almost always attack or defend as a group.

7. Nick

Nick Avatar

text are typed from game manual. The name to the old world is not mentioned due to copyright issues.

Ever tried that kobold scene with the never ending waves? *edit* should be nayard woods.

8. CrazyOol1

CrazyOol1 Avatar

As a new player I can identify with this. I was told to go east into a swamp to find and recover a painting. So I went east, couldn't find it, and got lost. Then I looked at the map, turned in the direction I thought was west and tried to head back home. That's how I got even more lost, and am now carrying more than I'm supposed to be able to hold, and have no idea where I am. Nice game you got here! That "map" is a map for people who already know where they are.

9. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

I'm not surprised, but it's not too bad once you get the hang of it! It's not clear from your post -- are you still in Solace Bridge Outskirts? (The name of the scene should be at the top of your window; if it says "Novia," you're on the overworld.)

If yes, just get back to the road and follow it, and sell your extra stuff to the blacksmith in camp or the alchemist near the graveyard, whichever you run into first.

If you've left the Outskirts already, any town you pass should have a bank where you can drop off stuff you want to keep, and if you can find Soltown or Ardoris, the blacksmiths there will pay more for junk than normal blacksmiths. THEN head back to Solace Bridge Outskirts, once you're unencumbered. (There are plenty of swamp scenes around the area, but they aren't the swamps you're looking for yet.)

10. CrazyOol1

CrazyOol1 Avatar

Thanks for the help, as this game really has a learning curve. It takes about 10 minutes just to load the game (and my computer is less than a year old,) but when I finally got on it said I was still in the Solace Bridge Outskirts. I appear to be under a bridge but it is pitch dark and I can't see much of anything except some archers that want to kill me. There is a house full of cultists nearby that I am trying to stay away from but it doesn't look like I can go anywhere else. I will try again tonight and see if it's daylight and maybe then I can see where I'm going. I found an actual map of the whole continent on another website so if I find my way to a road then perhaps I can get to a town.

11. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

one in-game day is one real-life hour, with midnight at the top of the hour. it starts getting light around 7 minutes after and sunrise is at ten after.

Jaesun likes this.
  12. Toular

Toular Avatar

That it takes 20 minutes to load most likely means that you need more memory. I would recommend having at least 8 Gb. My computer is about 4 years old with 32 GB and loads in about 1 minute. Of course age is not really that important- it's the specs that matter.

If you are in Solace bridge outskirts, there are bandits nearby that shoot at you and you are under a bridge, then I would suggest swimming upstream a bit, then exit the river on the right bank. There should be a road; head up that road and you should get back to the bivouac.

13. CrazyOol1

CrazyOol1 Avatar

Thanks very much, that is good to know.

14. CrazyOol1

CrazyOol1 Avatar

The only place I could get to was the cult house and after fighting my way through there, I went through an arch. Now it seems I am in a place called Novia, which I hoped would be a town, but it says it is an adventuring area. This in-game map has its problems.

15. Toular

Toular Avatar

"Novia" is the name of the world of New Britannia - or more precisely, the continent.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/map/

Where you most likely are is in the Solace Bridge Outskirts area, in the lower right corner, up the east coast to the first major river. Where you most like want to go is back to Solace Bridge Outskirts or possibly Soltown, which has a bank and a vendor where you can sell some stuff.

CrazyOol1 and Jaesun like this.
  16. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Sounds like you were in the abandoned village area, not the swamp area. But yes, if you're already on the overworld (Novia) now, you might want to visit Annika and the bank in Soltown to get rid of your extra weight. If you can still see Solace Bridge Outskirts near you on the map, head south along the road, pass the little player town of FairyTale, then Soltown should be the next story town you come to. If you've wandered further away and can't see Soltown or Solace Bridge Outskirts, head east towards the coast until you find them again. In either case, AVOID any wandering mobs or animals you see on the overworld, you don't want to mess with them right now.

On the other hand -- you DO need to go back and finish Solace Bridge Outskirts, and you can sell stuff to the blacksmith there too, so it would be simpler to just head back in. Don't worry about the cultists -- when you enter a scene, it will take you to the default entrance unless you specifically choose another, and the default entrance will take you back close to the bivouac (and far from any dangers). Unless you're really passionate about getting the best possible price for your vendor trash, I'd recommend saving Soltown until you've completely finished Solace Bridge Outskirts and received a report to take to Soltown.

CrazyOol1 likes this.
  17. CrazyOol1

CrazyOol1 Avatar

I managed to get stuck somewhere between the cultist house and some rough terrain and I finally decided to go over the mountain to get out of there. Unfortunately the fall from the mountain killed me but there was an Ankh thing nearby that revived me and I was finally out of that box. So I managed to find my way to a road (BTW roads on that map do NOT look like roads on the ground) and eventually found my way back to the bivouac, and I have never been so happy to be home. I sold my excess junk and will take another look at the Solace Bridge quests, but I'm not sure where I stand with those. I thought I had rescued Charlotte and she was tagging along with me, but now she's gone and the item in my inventory that summons here is gone too. So I think I will just mine ore for a while. It's safer.

18. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Charlotte leaves you after you finish the first scene in the game.

CrazyOol1 likes this.
  19. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Yes, Charlotte is only there for Solace Bridge, not Solace Bridge Outskirts. Edvard takes her away with him, although you'll eventually want to talk to her mother in Soltown.

Solace Bridge Outskirts should be safe as long as you stay away from the cultist village until after you've got the hang of the combat system. It sounds like you might be best staying within range of the bivouac until you figure out the maps. Remember that the actual scenes (where you're lifesize) and the overworld (Novia, where you're wandering in miniature) have separate maps. When an NPC in a scene tells you to find something, they almost always mean something in that same scene, so you shouldn't need to leave it. If they mean something elsewhere, they'll name a specific town or place that is a separate scene. So for instance, when they say the bandits are east, they mean in the eastern part of Solace Bridge Outskirts, but when you complete everything else and the camp commander gives you the report for Soltown, she'll specifically tell you to go to Soltown. Towns are always their own separate scene, not inside another area (though there might be entrances that take you to a town inside another area).

The map at https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/map/ is for the overworld. However, you can see the maps for individual scenes by zooming into that map, hovering over the scene name, clicking on the name in the tooltip, then clicking on it again in the red text (so https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/map/?map_id=742 for Solace Bridge Outskirts). The maps on this site ARE outdated, so don't trust them completely in all the details, but they should do for most getting around. For instance, the Solace Bridge Outskirts map there clearly shows the problem you originally ran into: You went east, then tried to go back west, but the road there has a backwards C shape, so while you wanted the northwest branch back to the bivouac, you instead took the southwest branch toward the cemetary and cultists.

Also, many of the scene maps show a lot of land around the edges that you can't actually reach because you'll fade to black first. That can be disorienting if you're trying to use the landscape on a map to figure out where you are or what you haven't explored yet. If you find yourself fading to black, you'll want to walk backwards out of it until you're back in the clear, otherwise you'll exit to the overworld just as if you used an exit gate.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    CrazyOol1 and Alley Oop like this.
  20. CrazyOol1

CrazyOol1 Avatar

Thanks for all of the info. I have found that the in-game map is a lot more useful when I expand it, as it displays icons for sites that might help with current quests. I finally found my way to the shack where the painting should be, but the door is locked and I don't have a key. I sold an heirloom to the fence at the site, and I hoped he would give me a key but I must have skipped a step somewhere. Back to the drawing board!

Bedawyn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.