Producer Skill Maximums?

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Thelon, Apr 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thelon

Thelon Avatar

I'm wondering if there are practical limits to set for Producer skills?

For example, it appears that Butchery 45 is sufficient to render all meats; Cooking 60, likewise, for all recipes. So does it make sense to set those skills to "maintain", so further butchery and cooking XP go into the subskills, which actually save you materials?

Similarly, the gather skills: pause the raw gather skills at some number - perhaps even as low as 40!? - and focus on the subskills?

Or am I missing something here?

2. Lained

Lained Avatar

The base skill determines your success ratio and reduces wasted gold sink materials.

3. Arlin

Arlin Avatar

Base skill affects your chance to succeed, which matters esp for gathering. For crafting it affects your chance to produce an exceptional item. Once you're at cap for exceptional or feel you're high enough on success chance, base skills don't do anything for you.

4. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Those base crafting skills tend to just be used for the minimums for recipes, but I think that the farther over the minimum you are, you get a higher success chance, and a higher chance of an exceptional. For now I leave them at 80 if I don't plan to use them much (like Cooking). Then I've taken them one by one to 100 so I can pimp that little number by my name.

For gathering, higher base skill means better chance at getting extra drops, especially the "special" drops, which usually mean more money in the long run.

Practical limit is 100 because the XP it takes to go higher grows exponentially. If you really want to specialize at a craft, you could try 120-140, but you really need to know what good that will do for you first.

And don't waste your time taking Survey skills past 40.

5. Thelon

Thelon Avatar

Thank you for the responses! Okay, I'll keep the gather skills active for awhile yet, and cap them at 80 while leveling the other skills. Then I'll uncap and continue on!

(And yeah, major goldsink on those mats! Creosote and curing salt are expensive!!!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.