Progression

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Cobra101, Mar 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

when I was hardcore gold grinding farming for rmt / raffle tickets / ect I preferred south shattered hills over serpents spine and twin foots hills simply for the materials that could be harvested there.

copper / tin sold for more and more often for me than iron

pine wood sold more often and for more than maple

cotton is cotton tho...

materials always sold better rmt for me than gold.

with sieges there is so much wood now I don't know about the going rates not paying much attention to the economy at the moment having fun doing other things.

2. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

the only thing my big pledge has gotten me is a massive house and lot that I have had to spend a huge amount of in game gold on to decorate. I just put out 300+ rose bushes that included needing to buy like 20+ large planters, seeds and water to put up. I have spend hundreds of thousands of gold buying furniture from in game crafters to fill it up and its still only like 25% finished. I had to make 100 short long hedges by purchasing wood from harvesters and plants from NPC vendors. Ive spend millions of gold on crafting, buying from harvesters of ore, turning them into bronze and copper armor and selling now hundreds to people... from vendors that arent even in good spots mostly. yet, I still work 50 hours+ a week and usually play maybe 2 hours on average a night.

3. BigCountry

BigCountry Avatar

Yeah I hear ya. Since the economy is directly tied to the RL dollar, it's about as stable as you can make it. It's a good thing. Only problem with buying and selling things atm is the population is so down. Hard to sell that stack of 100 gold ore your have farmed for 5k when there are 2992474 other stacks all over the game. I guess it's more a problem with the supply/demand curve. For new players atm the fastest way to grind that 120k so they can buy a POT taxed row deed to is grind the halberds. And most check out after a month or so because let's face it, that is pretty much mind numbing after awhile. Heck for the 40 dollar game account purchase why not just include a POT row tax deed? Let them band together, form their own groups and go claim out in the abandoned POTs, waking their governors up in return. Let them form their own communities. Most of you will see that as a "threat" to the massive ammounts of money you pledged but I see that as a great way to draw in and persist new players.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  4. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Thats not actually what is happening in the game right now. If you have 100 gold and you are selling it at 5K, I know 5 people right now that will instantly buy it from you... in unlimited quantities for an endless amount of time. You have an opportunity here, PM me now or message me in game later and I can connect you with them "Starman".

5. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I think the wood crafting table and broken siege engines near by may say something about wood and what it will be within such instances. I don't think sieges are the only events which will use the wood provided in them. I think we have larger cabalist battles coming.

[​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~:p

6. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

not saying these are or are not the best prices but there are a few vendors like this out in the world Bay Lunaire <easy example near top of marketplace.

just takes time or talking to other people to find these buyers and vendors.

guilds and friends are op and need a nerf...

7. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

8. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Why can't you make a lot of money by grinding halberds and selling them to a blacksmith? Well, it's complicated.

First, it's important to understand that there are two basic ways to earn gold. From the game, and from other players. From the game is obvious, sell rusty weapons to a vendor, complete a quest. Then you get gold that didn't previously exist.

It's the gold from other players that is a bit harder to understand. They give it to you, what's so hard about that? Well, where did they get it from? Another player? Repeat the question. Eventually it goes back to someone got it... from the game.

Destruction of gold works the same way, either you give it to another player in trade for an item, or you give it back to the game by buying from an NPC, paying taxes, etc. Note that when you buy something on a public vendor, the seller has already destroyed some gold thanks to listing fees.

The total gold (cash, not ore) that all players have is what's known as the "money supply". In MMO economies, this is very important, because gold received from the game is basically "zero-point money" that appears out of nowhere. In "real life", that skeleton would have had to get it from somewhere else, like from killing and looting a bandit or another player, and the NPC vendor would also have to get it from somewhere less obvious, as they buy a lot more than they sell.

The original source of the money in a real-world economy based on precious metal coins is mining and refining. Fiat currency (paper money, credit) increases the money supply by declaring and using new money, by a significant amount, but at the risk of collapse if overextended. (for example, during the Great Depression, it dropped by a third)

So far, aside from people discovering bad balance and exploits, Port has been keeping a tight lid on the money supply, mostly through low loot value, because it's easier to increase the money supply than to decrease it. Low money supply makes it harder to buy resources and products with high price tags, or at least that's the gut feeling I get from almost 2 years of ups and downs in SotA. It's just harder to save up to buy a big item, either through new money, or other people likewise having trouble buying your items.

One curious thing would happen after wipes. Players literally start with no gold (zero money supply), so the only way to make gold during the first week after a wipe was to sell loot to NPCs and do quests. After that first week, people would finally have enough to start buying stuff from player vendors.

The other important thing about MMO economies is NPC pricing. Buy prices set a low limit for the value of an item, sell prices set a high limit on the value of an item. If an NPC gives you 50 gold for something, and players don't want to spend, say, 100 on it, you might decide to sell to an NPC rather than go to a lot of effort for a small extra profit. If the NPC only wants to pay 10, people will be happy to sell it to other players for 60.

Crafting simililarly needs controls. If putting two items together resulted in an NPC buy price that was 10 times higher than the ingredients, everyone would be doing it. Instead, the intent is for players to want to pay the 10x due to natural supply and demand, while the NPC price is barely break-even. (The offline game, on the other hand, will be tuned for you to make money by selling crafted items to NPCs.)

When buying from NPCs, a similar thing happens, but most NPC vendors now have demand pricing such that the price goes up when too many people buy from the same NPC too often. (People will paid absurd prices to the crafting supply vendors in Owl's Head!) This encourages players to buy low and sell high, but the threshold is high enough to discourage trying to corner the market. (That is something that can easily happen in FFXI with certain vendors, because those prices go back down very slowly.) It is also possible to buy in a less busy city (like the back of a PRT) and sell for small profit in a busy city.

So this is why you can't get rich by doing nothing but selling rusty weapons to the blacksmith. It's not a bad idea for your first week or two, but then you have to "get a job" instead of being just another "murderhobo". You can harvest, you can refine, you can craft, you can even buy low sell high with other players. It is also intended that resources will have different availability in different regions, and that you will be able to make money by moving resources around the continent(s).

Say what you will about the rest of the game, but Port is trying to at least make the economy not be a "theme park" game.

9. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Sorry but.... what Quests? :D Are we playing the same game? :D

Ice Queen and discipleofweb like this.
  10. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

>talk to NPC
    >NPC asks you to do something
    >NPC gives you XP and moneys when it's done

That's kind of the standard MMO-style quest. You have been talking to the NPCs for more than just selling rusty weapons, I hope?

11. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

How about sell orders on vendors? A quest for fun and profit!

12. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

All you can do in this game is indeed just sell rusty weapons :D
    Tell me, how many quests are there actually? Because as soon i passed the newbie Areas 7 Month ago i have had an hard time to find any quests since then...

Ice Queen likes this.
  13. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Watch this run from last night. This is my normal run. I do it all the time.

1 hour, 300K xp and around 6K gold per run.

I mostly do this for the XP and skill raising. You can see that Im trying to raise blunt back up.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/135466082

14. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Yeah, tell me about it...
    Not to forget, the hundreds and hundreds of Quests in the game are really awesome too, makes your daily journey into the wild more enjoyable and gives you a feel of variation and less grindiness :D

Your video exactly shows what SotA is all about once you get past the noob stuff & main story.

Hint:
    In Deep Ravenswood you can make 350 - 450k xp / hour and 15 - 20k gold / hour. Depends on spawn.

Ice Queen likes this.
  15. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

You can.
    If I reduce my gameplay to just grind the Halberds and the only costs are repairing my gear and do that for 1000 hours or 2000 hrs what do you think I could earn?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.