Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Property Tax IDEA

Discussion in 'Release 55 QA Feedback Forum' started by Zeddicus Zorander, Jun 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeddicus Zorander

Zeddicus Zorander Avatar

How about we base property taxes upon the the population of a town... a town with a very low population would be pennies or free and a highly populated town would be taxed at the max.

Also for POTs the governor would get up to 30% of the taxes collected to help pay for new things in towns. The governor taxes collected would scale percentage based on population. Obviously a hamlet wouldn't get 30% even at max population some sort of scaling would be required.. The end result of all this would be rewarding those who put time into their POTs and having a higher player interaction rate.

Credit: @xog

Lord Trady of Blix, yinki2 and Spinok like this.
  2. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

No thank you.

Elwyn, Xandra7, Barugon and 1 other person like this.
  3. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

Maybe make it so that players who are on many hours pay less property tax.
    (yeah it may give reason to stay logged in afk for hours but no systhem is perfect...)

4. yinki2

yinki2 Avatar

why 30% only? it should go all to owner..they spend hard time building and make the best living community.

maybe gold tax should be converted into pot currency that they can only spend to get dedicated pot upgrades.

i would use a taxed deed if it helps develop my town.

Same system could be applied to guilds to get community features like titles, guildhall, guildbank, guildbuff, guild-taxfree vendors...

Elrond, liz_the_wiz and Steevodeevo like this.
  5. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I'd be a lot less averse to taxed deeds if the tax money went to my local governer.
    The main reason I refuse to use a taxed deed is the money just goes straight into a drain.
    I don't like the idea of linking it to town population though, this starts discouraging people from offering places to live if its going to raise their tax, which I think is detrimental to the community.

yinki2 likes this.
  6. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I don't like the idea of the POT Governor getting any money from taxes. I like that it is a gold sink.

I have Dara Brae for the passion of making something unique in the game to share with others (the first Nature Reserve in all of New Britannia).

Jaesun likes this.
  7. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Thinking about it…I’m not sure if PoT owners should get the gold even if I could use the money. ;)

I think the idea of some kind of special currency could be more interesting and less abuse-able…maybe alike to the tax system as some kind of reserve fund. Either by direct transferring gold by the PoT-Owner or by collecting taxes the fund raise...maybe even by usind a new PoT-NPC "bookkeeper" everyone could add gold, see the current fund and take a look at the log for what the fund has been used.
    Anyway even with this possibility I would suggest that just a part of the tax is transferred into this fund…maybe something between 10% and 50% as taxes should stay a gold sink.
    The PoT-owner could get different possibilities to use these funds. E.g.:

- The PoT-owner get the possibility to add funds to the lot of his inhabitants…so to say he is paying/lowering their tax.

- The PoT-Owner can buy or just rent additional slots for e.g. NPCs, NPC-buildings,… E.g. one more NPC Guard = 5 000 fund gold each month, one additional NPC building = 20 000 fund gold per month or for 10 000 fund gold a month there will be random groups of NPCs traveling the roads in the PoT.

- The fund can be invest into “mega-projects”. E.g. per PoT one castle deed can be defined to be a mega-project and depending on the selected project the needed fund varies. These projects are by devs predefined sets of decorations e.g. a large graveyard, a shipyard, an urban park,… That needs millions of funds to create and several ten thousands each month as upkeep.

- The fund can be used to buy rare decorations. Maybe the ones we can buy for cotos but to for a much higher price. (e.g. 1 coto = 10 000 fund gold)

- The fund can be used to create special NPC events. For 100 000 fund gold you can hire a small group of NPC weak bandits to attack your town and for 500 000 you can hire a large group of experienced bandits to attack your town. The groups will randomly roam between the 5 possible entrance points of the PoT until they are defeated or x hours passed. As loot they are carrying a part of the payed fund.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    Zeddicus Zorander likes this.
  8. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

Pot owners should only receive tax from their residents if they in turn have to pay a considerable tax based on the maximum possible residency of their town, regardless of whether occupied or not. Otherwise people have just purchased a passive revenue stream which would fuel the pay to win argument.

9. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

governors getting some or all of taxes collected has been suggested many times and shot down each time (rightfully, in my opinion). if governors want to ask for donations to make town improvements, or even charge rent and kick out residents that don't pay, they are perfectly capable of doing those things themselves.

10. Godra

Godra Avatar

I own a POT, and no residents at this time. But even if I did, I wouldn’t be charging any rent. But that’s my choice. I like the fact it’s a gold sink to keep the economy in check, otherwise, too much gold generated and not enough sinks to drain it out. However. I do like the idea of converting some of those taxes from gold to somekind of POT currency that can only be used to upgrade POT decor. That’s interesting to me.

Elwyn and liz_the_wiz like this.
  11. Zeddicus Zorander

Zeddicus Zorander Avatar

I really appreciate your fully developed response.

12. Zeddicus Zorander

Zeddicus Zorander Avatar

The idea which I didn't fully articulate, would lock the funds to the town to be spent on the town not to line ones own pockets.

13. Zeddicus Zorander

Zeddicus Zorander Avatar

I see a lot of folks shooting down the idea but nobody providing an alternative. Wouldn't you all like to see a bussling town full of folks doing events etc etc?

14. redfish

redfish Avatar

I'm not pro or con the idea, but I don't think its fair to pose the issue with that kind of dichotomy.

Creating a POT can involve wanting to set up public spaces for residents and visitors, town deco, wanting to expand the town eventually. Some people managing a POT have the money to pour in the game to do this on their own, some people don't. So taxes, in theory, would just be a method for those who don't to fundraise for their town.

There's no assurance that will be used that way, which is the downside, and, of course, the argument against that is are other ways to fundraise, too.

15. Zeddicus Zorander

Zeddicus Zorander Avatar

I'm sure there would be a way to lock the funds to the town for development only.

16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I agree with @Andartianna. There's no need to punish people just because they're in a popular town.

Helvig Ingvildsdottir likes this.
  17. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

My town is already bustling. I can't think of the last time the town didn't have someone in it. I don't want people's taxes, 1 I don't need them, 2 it makes it so that people who bought towns can basically sit on their arses and collect income, 3 towns are currently not for sale so the supply is very limited so you are looking at like 300 people getting tons of money off of everyone else with no possibility of a new town until ep2. I mean that's like throwing money at me. It also defeats the purpose of the taxes which is to remove gold from the economy so that gold prices are stable and don't massively inflate. Governors are more then empower to create incentives to get players into their cities. We don't need an institutionalize system that forces growth on ill prepared governors simply because it's cheaper with lower population.

Elwyn and kaeshiva like this.
  18. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Of course we would but I dont see this really changing it.

they are talking of lowering tax, people will come to your town if they wish.. my town mainly seems to have me living in it, but theres a ton of room, its in a central location but I dont advertise it cos, thats not my nature. At the same time people are welcome and there are places and if they dont like the places I laid out I even have a note on the board by the entrance saying just ask.. But as a non overworld access town, Im very much second class.

I find myself using this phrase a lot this week, like so many things once you have a huge supply of it, you dont need more, when you dont have any it seems hard to generate some.. this worth money, xp, and residents in your town.

19. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

Yes, perfect! Please punish the casual player that has a job, family and offline friends. They can afford it, they make enough money IRL to buy gold from those that play 24/7, so they should definitely pay higher taxes..... Oh damn, wait! They are probably less attached to the game, too... Might we loose them if we do such a thing? Think!

liz_the_wiz likes this.
  20. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I would never want to do this. Wizards Rest is a full town atm and the community who lives there are there because they like the casualness of it and the comradery. There will oftentimes be players standing in the streets or around my Inn or the crafting pavilion talking of their gaming experiences or helping each or helping me sync a new song I just got. I will not earn taxes from them. That's not what our town is about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.