Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Proposal: easy fix for frauds using renaming of items for trade

Discussion in 'Release 33 Feedback Forum' started by Spoon, Aug 28, 2016.

?

Agree?

Poll closed Sep 4, 2016.
  1. Yea

17 vote(s)
    68.0%
  2. Nay

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  3. Why?

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  4. Noooo I want that scam gold

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  5. Nah, just flag scammers as full loot PVP and stuck in multiplayer...

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. 42

8 vote(s)
    32.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

If names made by game was in the font, color etc as we have now but as soon as we the players rename (or in the case of books; create) an item then the font changes to Italics and color to yellowish. Then it would be abundantly clear which is which without clamping down on the ability to rename stuff.

It would also save @Attenwood and @Serafina a lot of work in reduced reports.

(This since the font cannot be changed by the player. I've seen suggestions of not allowing renames to match store items, however that is easy to circumvent by using underscore or an apostrophe etc.)

2. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

can it be that simple?

THE HENDOMAN

3. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Yes. Usually it is the simple solutions that are the most effective. It will not remove the concept of renaming fraud completely, but it would mitigate the issue to a very large degree. This since if most listings are in one color and then a few are in a different one then it will raise a flag in the mind of the user.

4. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

Sounds like a good idea at first, but if people don't know that (Small Bag) means small bag, will they know that yellow font means player-named item? It might look even more special... I think the only comprehensive solution to scams is player reporting, although I do understand the intent of the suggestion is to reduce the burden of those reports.

Vox Aquila, Net and Alley Oop like this.
  5. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yes, @Balec Fares deCani is right.

It has to be something a new player will understand clearly without being given instructions, otherwise some people will still be scammed.

That leaves out a lot of options, imo. Even putting the label in parenthesis will not necessarily be the best solution because "Small Bag (Artisan Tool Rewards)" would still be misunderstood by a new player. Its why some suggested solutions of putting the bag contents in the tooltip won't work, because new players might not know to check the tooltip.

You either have to display bag contents directly in the list display and not tooltips (or say the contents are empty), or just make it so that you can only see the label of the bag if its in the inventory of the player who owns it and not when its up for trade, or just take out bag relabeling in the first place.

6. Black Orchid

Black Orchid Avatar

Just an idea but couldn't you just have a seperate tab for renamed items on the vendor saying rp item only beware. so if anything gets renamed it drops in there. ?:)

7. Zosaria

Zosaria Avatar

Make people able to look inside the bags.
    Make a simple script which uses an array() that checks for names already used on items, and checkings for misspelling and replaced symbols & letters.

I agree with the making the color yellow might make it look more unique.

8. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

yes, that relies on the knowledge of the player viewing it, which is no change from current as a knowledgeable player would know to check the tooltip/maker's mark anyway.

my suggestion was to revert to default any named containers put on the vendor. i still think that's best and should expand to pet whistles as well (although i saw a wolf labeled sheep last night and thought it hilarious), but the obsidian book of learning is where it fails, since we need titles to have a functioning book system. i propose that that item should not be a book. there's (last i checked) no potion assigned for the silver crowns. make it a potion of unlearning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.