Proposals for a new PVP system

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Lua, Nov 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lua

Lua Avatar

1) Accessible for all, from the lowest to the highest Adventure level players
    2) PVP is an optional multiplayer mode, separate from other modes of game play:

A) PVE gold and XP aren't gained or expended while in this mode
    B) Scenes while in PVP are treated as arenas, in that they are:

I) entirely separate areas created just for PVP
    II) existing PVE areas with all resource nodes and NPC characters removed from the instance
    C) Obviates the need to hide locations from players' social lists while in PVP mode
    3) PVP risk and reward are self contained and do not influence power outside of PVP
    A) Currency - Notes
    I) Notes are earned based on time playing in PVP mode
    II) Can be spent to obtain items/consumables usable only while in PVP
    III) Cannot be traded among avatars
    IV) Vigor (referenced below) may supply small bonuses
    B) Experience - Marks
    I) Earned upon victory
    II) Influenced by disparity of Adventure level between the players dueling
    III) Vigor (referenced below) may supply small bonuses
    IV) Apply Marks to develop PVP only skill trees
    C) Reputation - Standings
    I) Earned upon victory
    II) Lost upon death
    III) Amounts +/- are influenced by:

a) disparity between Reputation of the dueling players
    b) disparity between overall Marks of the dueling players
    IV) In-game Titles become locked or unlocked based on current Reputation points (bragging rights)
    V) Leader-board ranking would be based upon this and bracketed by Adventure level
    D) Streaks - Vigor **
    I) Vigor is a number defined as: 0 > x > 1
    II) Starts at (1 / 2) = 0.5
    III) Two duel situations:

a) Stretch - influenced when dueling avatars at or above your adventure level
    b) Nether - influenced when dueling avatars below your adventure level
    IV) A Stretch win adds (1 - x) * (1 / 4) to Vigor
    V) A Stretch loss subtracts (X - 0) * (1 / 5) from Vigor
    VI) A Nether win adds (1 - X) * (1 / 6) to Vigor
    VII) A Nether loss subtracts (X - 0) * (1 / 4) from Vigor
    VIII) Leader-board rankings Display an indication of the Vigor value

** Numbers/formulas shown in this section are just to illustrate intentions and are first guesses and/or approximations. They require "polish".

I invite thoughtful discussion.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  2. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Could you take the text out of the code block? The overflow text makes it difficult to read.

Thanks!

3. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

You lost me at 2.

Why people keep suggesting things that would keep the populations separate and divided is beyond me.

One of the strengths of this game is that those flagged can still hang out and play with those not flagged. We can still set out into the world and adventure together, we can talk and trade.
    Removing that would be a detriment to the game as a whole. We want more player interaction, not less.

margaritte, NRaas, Audacity and 2 others like this.
  4. Lua

Lua Avatar

This is a fair question.

The intent of this proposal is for PVPers to still play with the entire population, for everything except PVP dueling. This supposition is that PVP becomes more accessible to all, by removing the PVE environmental constraints (NPCs, enemies) and incentives (bonus gold., XP's, rez, etc) during the act of PVP itself. PVE still maintains its value to all in so far as that is where you train and craft, prior to engaging in PVP. PVP gains new value in that players of all levels and abilities may now competitively battle.

This should encourage everyone to give PVP a whirl at least once. You have nothing PVE related (XP decay) at stake, and everything PVP related (bragging rights, more fun from a human adversary) to gain. It is designed to make typically end game content (competitive PVP) available from early in the game.

Perhaps we need to discuss whether equipment decay is suspended during PVP as well?

5. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

It seems from your OP that, while in this PVP mode, you are playing in the normal scenes but only with other players who are PVP enabled (although this is confused because you also say they are "entirely separate areas created just for PVP", but they are just instances). Since there is no way to raise gold or xp in this mode, it seems like something that only a few players would be in at a time. There would be very little casual encounters here; the game world is just too big and the population too small.

I don't see how this makes competitive PVP available early on; your skills are still whatever they were in PvE modes, so if you are not end game stats, skills and equipment, you are still going to get ganked in PVP. Removing equipment decay would make players more likely to bring better weapons (ones that have been enchanted to basically no durability). However, with PVP loot in place, there is still likely to be players not risking their "best" stuff.

Rather than splitting modes, you could just as easily say entering a PVP arena (basement, etc), in addition to flagging you Open Multiplayer and PVP enabled, also prevents durability damage and skill decay. If you wanted to level the playing field, give a buff that equalizes stats for players in the arena, and swap out equipment with special dueling gear (get your normal stuff back when you exit the arena). Now you can have honorable duels fairly, and there is no risk of loss. That is the first taste.

Shardfalls and Guild Wars would be the next step up; Open Multiplayer PVP with your own gear. I wouldn't be heartbroken if these places prevent equipment decay. The top would be Open PVP, where you suffer durability damage. The Devs have made it so you don't suffer skill decay by PVP, but if they wanted to make it meaningful it should be enabled (and have a small portion of the decayed xp go to the winner, say 10%). That should be a small enough reward to prevent "farming" your friends, since decay needs to accrue, but keeps the sting of death as something to avoid.

I'm still not sold on PVP-only equipment or skills. I think these could be done by placing consumables within the PVP scenes, which can be picked up and used only within those scenes. Think something like a "levitating shard" that can be used 3-5 times, and provides a buff that allows you to double-jump while in a Shardfall or Obsidian Ruin. Things that are fun, provide tactical advantages in PVP, but are not overwhelming when new players don't have them. The biggest issue with PVP-only stuff is that they need to be balanced on top of all of the other skills and items, which are already in a pretty uneven state. Putting more work on top of that just means they will be out of whack for multiple episodes.

TL;DR; PVP needs to be something that is fun, but splitting the players is more of a hindrance than a benefit, and making PVP-only stuff just means more broken stuff.

Spoon likes this.
  6. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

I prefer finding ways to integrate pvp into exsisting systems in a meaningful way rather than separating it.

7. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

I know people are anxious for PvP, but there is only so much the team can ostensibly do. Maybe people could agree to be patient, let them release Episode 1 and then come up with a way to handle this between Episode 1 and Episode 2? Maybe weave it into the story of Episode 2. I only mention this because there are still a lot of combat imbalances, XP issues, Decay, and, oh yes, CONTENT that needs to be worked out. Throwing PvP into the mix causes more and more delays, particularly if it is not balanced. I could definitely see making the PvP in Ruins and Shardfalls and POT's more robust, but while open world or separate PvP servers may assuage PvP'ers, it might turn off the rest of the community.

8. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

So almost all of those who enjoy PVP that I've interacted with wants the 'thrill' of pvp being able to happen anywhere at any time.
    Your proposal would be better served in a Battle Arena type of concept.
    From the dislog on these forums that isn't what the majority of PVP around here wants.

9. LiquidSky

LiquidSky Avatar

A PvP system needs to be essentially two separate games. One side gets a certain set of rules...uses a certain type of currency etc...
    The other uses different rules..different economy..even different types of equipment.

They play in the same world....but are separated by distance. Each has a relative safe area in the 'deep' parts of their lands...but as you reach the center...that control dissipates.

To use/steal from fiction. Take Tolkein.

You can have the western lands. The Shire. Bree....Grey Havens....where the west 'plays' the games.

You have Mordor etc. where the 'east' plays.

Each side uses a different currency/economy. Each side uses different food..can have different character classes/trees.
    The NPC's will attack people from the different sides....making it rather difficult for an Orc to wander into Gray Havens. The same for an elf, say to just walk up to Mt. Doom. And you can have powerful NPC's as safe points from all but the most determined enemy attacks.

The chat systems only intersect in local chat...and the other sides chat appears as gibberish...unless they have spent points in learning the language..
    Even the nameplates should be hidden from the other side.

You have nomans land in the middle...where you can adventure in scenes but might come across the 'enemy'

Now you have meaningful PvP instead of who can murder the most. Loot can be full....but is essentially useless to the other side. You get rising excitement as you adventure further and further from the safer lands. You can have strongpoints (like Rivendell) that reside close to the enemies lands.....let your imagination run wild.

Now everyone is engaged in PvP...and can avoid it (mostly).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.