Public Forum Posting Privileges $5 Nice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Razimus, Jun 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Agreed. This might not be a good sign to those who just want to check out the forums. Most forums allow people to join for free. If people see stuff like you need to pay $5 for access to the forums it could give them the idea that something is horribly wrong.

Heck I won't sugar coat it. it gives me the idea that something is horribly wrong.

Logain likes this.
  2. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Accessing the forums is still free.

POSTING on the forums is another matter altogether.

3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

We always panic about new things. No more spammers is good. How about the ability to invite people to the forums? Still remember this "is a temporary fix" not a permanent one. :cool::)

4. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Should take the step further and make it for Pledges ONLY, if you have input to the game you should SEE the game. Anyone posting here with ideas, wishes, desires about something that is in a game they don't even look at really should have NOTHIGN to say.

This a step in the right direction, They should also combine accounts so people cannot hide behind multiple accounts just because they have them, ONE forum access for a person. Get banned should not be able to just log in on another one and keep on.

If they cannot afford to pay to post then they cannot afford to play so we should not care what they think .

And CLEALRY stated looking at forums is and will always be avail :-(

Greyhaven likes this.
  5. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Meh.
    I am not happy with that solution, but a soultion it is non the less. And a needed one.
    But hey, it worked for the something awful forum for years ;-) maybe we are the next goons! No wait...i really don't wanna be a goon.

6. selbie

selbie Avatar

I'm glad they've done this as I can imagine how hard it would be to manage a forum / website issue whilst trying to develop a game with only minimal funding.

Nepenthor and Duchess Wyldemane like this.
  7. Logain

Logain Avatar

I am not worried for the 'Moderators', but for what Katrina Beker usually tends to kindly express as 'toxic community' on Steam. Have you read the discussions there? More than a quarter of all postings are harshly negative (not UO, pay to win, sucks, bad combat, no PvP, bad graphics, bad ... what-have-you).

I'm well aware of that point. However what this does/means is that they are migrating the current problem to a point where they have MORE people causing issues, not less. They are stress testing the server now, because right now they can handle the data and live with the negative consequences of a failure. Same logic should apply to this issue.
    If you look at my proposal, you're going to note that is would scale well.

I wouldn't agree there, but that's besides the point. It's the people wanting to post a question that I'm worried about (and the PR issue with an already bad pay to win perception). Say I'm searching for an old school game. I'd be willing to chip in with $45 if people could convince me with arguments that SotA is going to carter to my old school desires, but I certainly wouldn't be willing to toss out the money to buy a decent game on Steam just to ask if this game is going to carter for my old school desires [Hypothetical question, I have pledged far higher than the required $5, but I'm not talking in my own favour, other than that I want to see more players]. Sure, you can argue that they shouldn't be lazy and just spend then 20 hours it takes to find out on their own! Then again, it's one additional hoop that plenty of people are not willing to jump through, and you lost all these at this point. I wouldn't 'complain' if there was no 'better' solution, but hey, I claim that I suggested one, so... ;p

8. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Reading through these great arguments while I finish off my $5 red bull.

9. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

I personally think the main danger SotA has is "Puplic Relation" related in regards to the 5 Dollars decision.

Why.

Journalists who write about SotA have prooven to use this Forum and our discussion often as a source to write articles about SotA.
    I love more the ones who play the Game , get the own opinion, talk to the developers also and then write an article.

Very recent example:

Only one Forum Discussion, i repeat one Forum discussion! with maybe 15 Community Members taking part did lead too

3 Articles about Sota in Germany about the same topic: That a big part of the community is confused and outraged about Richard saying in E3 that the game has 50% Customers that wan´t a Solo Game

Let me post the links: http://mein-mmo.de/sota-offline-online236/#
    http://shroud-of-the-avatar.mmorpg.de/sota-haelfte-der-spieler-nicht-an-online-interessiert-15121/
    https://gamezine.de/mmorpg-fans-sch...rt-von-shroud-of-the-avatar-interessiert.html

My concern is that now our 5 Dollar Discussion in the forum will be also picked again and we soon will see: Forum Community outraged. Shroud of the Avatar charges 5 Dollars to participate.

This is not good pulicity such articles.

So hello Journalist if you are reading this. Please keep it real and do not asume that 15 community members in 1 forum discussion are a outrage??? Thank you. :)

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  10. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Ya, I understand your point, but I still dont care. Let them rant over there, it is a place for them. Now the devs can actually spend more time over there addressing them on a single front instead of 2 fronts. I am happy that Port did this.

11. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Maybe Port can give them a Press Pass. :)

12. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

No need; they can still read the forums, they just can't post. They would still get what they want, they just can't affect the outcome.

13. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

there is NOT one person who cannot read the forums and they can post whatever they want ANYWHERE so all this junk about people in other places GtG leave them there :)

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  14. Greyhaven

Greyhaven Avatar

Not a problem for believers. Not a problem for people who have contributed positively to the project and put a little bit of money on the counter. It is always those who go through life expecting everything to be free that have the roughest ride.

Ergo - Razimus had it right in the OP.

(What I enjoy most is the beauty and clarity of all that is self-evident)

15. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Paying to post is what I meant. It looks bad. Looks like there's something wrong.

Logain likes this.
  16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes there was something wrong, we got invaded and big time, and not just to one section. They started going into our other threads and some of it seemed blatant as if they were throwing it in our face and laughing. I'm also glad it was done. I am sorry for any who can't post for now, but there is enough to read to give new people an idea of what this game is about, well aside from some bickering here and there;) Yaaay to Portalarium for taking a strong stand, even if it is temporary.:)

17. TimeLord Smith

TimeLord Smith Avatar

I'm not sorry. Let the people willing to shell out post. No more trolls and spammers. I'm going to pay my five dollars. I have an offshore account just for forums. (I'm always prepaired)... although the account isn't under my real name... so I hope nobody get's freaked out that it doesn't say Smith on my credit card. It will only say Time Lord. HAAHHAHAHAHAHAAHahhaahahahhahah

18. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

I don't understand the problem here. If the game is good, nobody will care about the forum posts, right?

19. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I wholeheartedly agree with that. Nevertheless, I am still saying this looks bad and it makes me think there is a serious problem. I care.

20. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

There is something wrong...with people that spam on the internet.

Posting on the forums is not an inherent privilege for every passerby - not since a few people ruined that for everyone else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.