Public Service Announcement - Don't buy re-teachable recipes (dungeons for instance)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spoon, Apr 4, 2019.

?

Helpful?

1. Aye

76.5%
  2. Nay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Spoon! Arrrrgh WTF my successful scam - ruined. What have you done!

11.8%
  4. Woot, free stuff for meeeeeee!

11.8%
  5. Wait a minute, how much gold have I spent on free stuff. Noooooooo...

11.8%
  6. Bah humbug

2.9%
  7. None of the above

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

For me the RP is the other way around.
    For a master carpenter not to be able to figure out how to make a wall shelf (plank on plank) or a bench (cut plank fix plank on plank) etc without paying gold to a get a paper from a native. That makes no sense RP wise for me.
    So searching for new ways to craft by placing different ingredients on the station works much better for me. It makes sense.

If the current system was the direction they want to go then the only way to save it for me RP-wise would be through Guild monopolies as in the medieval europe, where the piece of paper isn't a recipe, but rather that you pay a fee to get a certificate that you are authorized by the guild to produce X product. That would at least be internally consistent visavi the system they have made.
    Where without the Guild Certificate then what you craft is marked "no trade" and can only be for personal use - while through the Guild Certificate you get the "trade" mark and can put it on vendors and in trade window.
    That would be the best of both worlds since the gold sink would be for the outlanders trying to earn gold through their craft while ordinary outlanders wouldn't have such a loop to jump through.
    Then set all the learn the recipe stuff to be at X skill level / quest instead so you feel progress through learning new recipes.

Also teaching skill from one avatar to the next, that makes RP sense.
    (Although had I designed it then I would have said the avatars would need to party up, go to station and the teacher craft the item, with the pupil have a chance to learn as a % of skill * skill etc, using trade window to teach craft is very un-sexy RP-wise for me).

Agreed.
    I wish that X skill would unlock related Y emote. (from 2014)
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/social-magic.15304/
    I wish that GM in a skill would give unique GM recipes. (from 2017)
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/wish-gm-recipe-versions.85930/
    I wish that each avatar had a unique unknown crafting talent that only they could find through experimentation
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/recipes.17352/page-2#post-271634
    etc
    But I think the devs went in some other direction. Since they went with the swift, batch and extra item skills etc.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  2. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Well I see the recipes not as a grocery list of needed items and more like a complex step by step manual of how to create the item. Even if you are a grandmaster in carpentry you might fail on creating a piano without an explanation even if you generally know how to use wood but yes for simple recipes it seems to be odd that as an experienced crafter and just because of the system you cannot put two planks together.
    About the teaching…yeah if it would take time to teach…or as teacher you would need to craft the item to teach the needed steps I would agree but instantly teaching dozens of recipes does not seems to be a RP conformably solution…at least for me but as always this is a matter of opinion. ;)

Agree.

I like that idea but I think it does not have to be really unique…maybe different values are mixed together and as a result you get one of X talents.
    Values could be your virtues, the number and dispersion of levels of your skills in this crafting tree, number of learned recipes,…
    We could maybe even all start with one general talent and depending on our path this talent is changing over time.

3. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

For piano - fully agred, such complex objects shouldn't be reteachable.
    For planks on planks type of stuff, those should definately come for free with skill level.

Yea, to quote myself
    We are in agreement. Just approaching it from different angles.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  4. NamelessOne

NamelessOne Avatar

It wasn't a deed, it was the crappy little house you get with the village lot deed from the Shroud quest. That crappy little house can be purchased from an NPC housing merchant.

Jaesun likes this.
  5. Net

Net Avatar

I think that all re-teachable recipes (and emotes) should be either known to all players or be changed to teachable only. It is handy to get to know teachable recipes so you can teach others, not so much for re-teachable ones though. Soon almost every active player who cares about them knows them anyway.

Woodchuck likes this.
  6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

yep, exactly! there is no point for re-teachable recipes!

re-teachable recipes represents the game griefing it's own players! >_<

Spoon likes this.
  7. redfish

redfish Avatar

I don't know, isn't one point of discoverable recipes that you don't have to look them up on a wiki? It doesn't justify their rarity, though or paying a lot of igg for them.

But something I was hoping for before they introduced the whole paper recipe system and where everything was discoverable is for players to compile 'recipe books' for other players, so they could share these things in game. Ultimately, I think the goal would be to be able to do everything you do on the web through the game. Ie recipe books, guide books, bulletin boards, creating and selling maps. I don't really like the shortcuts that cut out the RP process, but the shareable aspect of discoverable recipes makes sense in theory.

Spoon and Net like this.
  8. redfish

redfish Avatar

Btw this in mind, it might make sense to be able to craft recipes some time in the game's future (ie with scribes skills). Which could then maybe be put into folios.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    Net and Spoon like this.
  9. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I will bump this one since I met someone who recently made the mistake of buying all the dungeon recipes with gold they really didn't have to spend...

10. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Thank you Spoon, there is enough business done with uninformed people ...

Jaesun and Spoon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.