1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

Public Stats API

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by Undone, May 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Knight

Black Knight Avatar

I'm happy your end looks good.... I mean... anyhoo!
    After a few more protocol errors, it now responds in an orderly fashion.

Undone likes this.
  2. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

@Undone , Are any changes to the API planned for R46?

Thank you

3. Undone

Undone Trap Master Moderator SOTA Developer

Not this release.

Sean Silverfoot and Rentier like this.
  4. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

@Undone

I would love to see POTs get their own template names for API tracking and heatmaps of POTs etc. Right now all POTs just use their template name instead of their town name (to the best of my knowledge).

5. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Queue B.D.F. in 3, 2, 1...

6. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I can understand his concerns, I applaud and appreciate his desire and efforts to not have his POT identifiable based on his plans for his POT.

At the same time, I would like to see my own POT identifiable (perhaps via an opt-in approach similar to our character's identities). I don't actually follow the meta-data of the API stuff, this is really just something I find "neat" and would like to see for my town and know the traffic levels and patterns.

Tiina Onir and Rentier like this.
  7. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

People can choose whether or not to have their Avatar's name exposed or not in the API.
    It would seem that Governors should be able to make the same choice for their towns.

8. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

I dont want my vendor to be listed in database for everyone to see from a distance... Id rather have people walk there and not try to control markets by knowing every npc what they sell or not. That would be a big mistake.

Mythical likes this.
  9. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

They don't list vendors in the database (I think) for any players. I don't want players to have up to date sales information either, the best deals should be found in-game, not via a script.

I wouldn't mind seeing sales sometime AFTER the fact, but it's not really important to me. I mostly want to see # visitors to the town and their traffic patterns. I find the heatmaps quit interesting on Umuri's stats site.

10. DavidDC

Any information from a POT is personal to the owner and user of that town. If you want to know what way people takes in other town than yours is because you have an idea behind it and it would profit you to know. I agree that a pot owner should have some kind of password to get their own town information maybe. But not given to people other than those concerned.

11. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

So you want to restrict my ability to make whatever data is available for my town publicly available if I so desire?
    A bit authoritarian, don't you think?

12. DavidDC

What andernut ask is to have a heatmap of pot town. What can you do with that? See where people walk and what vendor they stop by? Then what you do with this data? Try to steal client from that specific vendor? As soon as this game make those data available im seriously out of there. Aint gonna play a RMT game where 3rd party program govern it all. The current datas give nothing else than hint people on how to get money fast (if youre intelligent enough).

Ok you can see monster killed and suicide and have some players stats... Darkstarr last post mortem said there will be a top 3 dragon kill reward next month, first thing i tought of was go check data who farmed dragons, how many was killed so far, etc... That give me a good advance over others since i have an idea of what has to be done. Do you guys think thats fair?

You can see what monster drop and where. Cool, i can now check in realtime where people farm and what they kill the most, leaving no secret for anyone that want to keep their farming spot for themself. Can also see if there is people in shardfall without even being there. If people seek pvp, pretty easy to see what map is active or not. But yet in game its hidden... So only people using 3rd party will know. Another bad point.

Is it really our busines to know how many monster died, how many thing that specific npc sold, what stuckpoint were recorded... I think this is portalarium business and not ours. Cause being in our hand, some bad people could use this information to make the game looks bad.

If that feature is added anyway, it will just be another addition to many feature added cause of player asking for it and then turned to be exploitable.

13. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I'm fairly certain this has been discussed and there is a delay on certain data.

14. DavidDC

15 minute delay... Even with a delay i can guess pretty good what happen where and when. Unless it was a month of delay, then yes it would be hard.

15. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

So then, instead of trying to nix the entire idea, perhaps the conversation could be to finding a good amount of delay for individual types of information?

16. DavidDC

There is no good amount of delay. You see what umuri did with his sotastats? Hes collecting and saving datas together then can know with graphics whats been going on since a couple months. With this kind of data, you can predict the futur pretty much. So whatever delay it is, its already gone wrong.

In the same note, there probably more stuff going underground that we arent award or program that people made and use themself that does worse than anything you could have imagined.

17. DavidDC

Someone reported me a problem in my app, im trying to search names with a space like (takin that name in exameple) Merrik Dragon. if i do PlayerName: 'Merrik Dragon'
    I will be given all data that match dragon. Even if playername is not merrik. How do you guys that do app deal with space in names? Is there a special character or way to search for it?

18. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Just a guess, but it might be doing a match of "any" of the two words. Have you tried putting the name in quotes? "Merrick Dragon"

19. DavidDC

yeah i use single quote tough... just tryed with double and it worked... *roll eyes*

LoneStranger likes this.
  20. Undone

Undone Trap Master Moderator SOTA Developer

I was perplexed to hear that someone had killed a dragon 3700+ times in the past week =O

Glad you figured it out though!

LoneStranger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.