1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

Public Stats API

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by Undone, May 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I have several reasons why I want my POT to be completely out of this data.
    1. This wasn't part of what I purchased when I bought my town.
    2. There's a privacy issue here. I shouldn't have to opt my town out, it should be out by default.
    3. The data may or may not be in aggregate, there are questions in this very thread that suggest we don't know exactly how this works. I don't want to spend time figuring it out, I want to be excluded.
    4. Being excluded fits with the lore of my town. No watchers, No spies, No riddles, No lies.
    5. I believe it would be a great selling point for my POT to be excluded. I don't think I'll be the only one that feels this way.
    6. I don't wish to contribute to other players understanding of the game. There will likely be players that use this data only for themselves and provide only basic information to the masses.
    7. I believe there are likely ways to use this data for advantage in PvP. I have similar concerns about sorta map and plan to opt out of that too.

Btw,who is in charge of sorta map, Jakob white or something like that? This is a perfect example of me having to chase down people to stop "features" I never wanted and don't see the value of.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    Blake Blackstone likes this.
  2. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

@Jakub White runs SotAMap, and the only information on SotAMap about Rat's Nest is where it is located in Novia, and what biome/template is.

There is no information on your town beyond the size, biome, and the fact it is a pvp town. Though I do recommend getting ownership of the town on SotAMap via a message to Jakub and adding in a description of your town for players.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A map like this one (my town) takes a good bit of time from a governor to lay out in SotAMap, one could include as much or as little as they like. Nothing here, beyond the biome and default template was added by Jakub.

[​IMG]
    The mini-map, while players are in your town, will ONLY show players where they are in relation to the landmarks of the default template such as walls, rivers, and the borders of the zone. This is the same functionality anyone gets by opening the in-game POT map item for a particular biome. Just a blank template, your location in it, and no houses/features that were added by the governor.

I can understand how some governors would not want any information about their town to appear in the aggregate data.

3. Drocis the Devious

Thank you, @Lord Andernut. I appreciate this information.

@Jakub White, please remove Rat's Nest from Sota Map asap. If someone visits my POT I do not wish for the map to be functional. I don't want there to be an in-game map.

4. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Portalarium already has an in-game mini-map for POTs available via the bookseller in Owlshead and I believe NPC POT vendor has it as well. They also publish your city on their graphical map. Jakub has merely duplicated what Portalarium already has available to players - and Portalarium has integrated this into the game.

If you want your town not to be on Portalarium's Map or on the mirroring of that map on Jakub's website (if he is permitted to remove it based on whatever agreement he has with Portalarium) I'd recommend a PM to him, not a tag in the Public Stats API thread.....

5. tuerdkughter

tuerdkughter Avatar

@Undone How long does it take for your name to start showing up on events after you toggle the "Show name in public stats" flag?

6. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

I believe BDF Has a right to be cautious. I've already contacted Undone with several information leaks I believe were unintentional, and have begun construction on several more. Suffice to say the knowledge that can be pulled from this is considerable and i believe in excess of what players are supposed to have access to on any level right now.

Below you will find any pages i've completed and that i personally feel are "Safe enough" to share, although I'm sure Atos or Undone might take issue with some of them.
    None of the data i'm currently working with is stored long term, and each page has a cache timeout (it only regenerates so often to limit server load).

Currently Available:
    Players online
    Loot drops over the past 12 hours, sorted by scene

http://umuri.com/SOTA/Stats/

7. Drocis the Devious

Again, I appreciate the information.

I don't really have the bandwidth for that at the moment. I'm limited to a few posts/interactions. Busy.

I find myself trying to manage things like this as best I can and it's frustrating. It would be nice if Portalarium would make it easier for me as a POT owner to control MY town when it comes to large features like this. Not trying to be a jerk about this, I just feel like my previous multiple feedback on these issues has been dismissed and now I have to complain to fight for the right to maintain creative control of my town.

8. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Cool, online players is a very interesting statistic. I wonder if that stat will be available long enough to see peak players after a release :)

9. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I totally get the concerns about the API, it's just not really related to SotAMap.

SotAMap is a duplication of Portalarium's information, not your own. Your town has been on a map for as long as it has existed in-game.

[​IMG]

It has always been the intention for SotA to have an in-game map for the overworld, I don't recall them saying whether POTs would or would not appear in their in-game map. I never would have had the expectation that the scene I have Governorship over would not appear in maps.

In-scene mini-maps exist for most(all?) templates as well, so this is again a duplication of Portalarium information, not your information.

10. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

@Baron Drocis Fondorlatos It's really not that big of a deal. Portalarium is doing what they think best for the development of the game. Just gotta keep the faith that they are making good decisions. I know you trust in them and shouldn't waiver now.

Lord Andernut likes this.
  11. Drocis the Devious

That's great advice. Thanks!

12. Drocis the Devious

My concern regarding sota map is more nuanced than what I can walk through right now. I agree it's off topic. Just know that I'm likely to comment more and in great detail later.

Umuri and Lord Andernut like this.
  13. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

1: can't say I agree. Development would implode if they had to hold to the "that's not what I paid for" standard - but I digress, heading OT
    2: I was leaning to the same setting as a player. Opt in to public data else parse as anonymous.

3-7, you've been consistent on your plan for your POT. I figured these were your points. Which is why I suggested POTs go anonymous till opt in.

I'm guessing it wouldn't be a hard toggle to add.

14. Drocis the Devious

I understand where you're coming from. I would very much prefer to be able to be 100% excluded though. This would ensure that I can ignore any unintended consequences.

15. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

@Undone, can we get a quick explanation as to what actions are triggered by each the LocationEvents?

Many of them are straight forward enough. But, some clarity may help.

Thank you

16. Serena Strangelove

Serena Strangelove Avatar

Thanks @Undone, for posting this image. I have been following this thread and could not find the "toggle" anywhere!

I was going to just admit my ignorance and ask, now I know. :p
    I often play MMO's with my character set to anonymous, but also turn it off frequently - just kind of depends ...
    I will leave it at the default setting for now.

17. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

@Undone

Hello sir - is it possible to have the adventure level revealed for the 'victim' and 'killer' portion of pvp stats, even though the players are anonymous? Would like to see if there's a way to find res killers or situations where level 100+ players are preying on level 25 players etc.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    Vaiden Luro likes this.
  18. scroda

scroda Empyrean Enforcer

Same authorization error with Kibana

19. Archer

Archer Avatar

Players Online page is currently reporting an error in your PHP.

20. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

I asked about kibana in discord earlier and got this response:

Undone-Today at 12:41 AM
    @Elnoth I don't think an external Kibana would work in this instance; we have security measures in place to prevent any dynamic scripting

scroda likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.