Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Public Vendor?

Discussion in 'Release 32 Feedback Forum' started by Sire Lancelot, Aug 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sire Lancelot

Sire Lancelot Avatar

Have the public vendors got sales limits on them now? Getting "This vendor cannot accept anymore items".

2. Vagabond Sam

Vagabond Sam Avatar

I think it's a 'feature'.

Particualrly frustrating when people art eplacing notes as 'advertisements' for their vendors.

Currently there is no viable option for non home owners to sell items without eating huge 'fees' for removing the numerous junk items being listed.

I have various baluable items I have farmed but to sell them I have to eat 1k gold plus the listing fee just to free up space on the public vendors.

Beaumaris likes this.
  3. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Just gotta get out of Owl's Head and place it on one of the other public vendors unfortunately. Kingsport is probably the closet one nearby.

Abydos likes this.
  4. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

They always had limits.

Tahru and Leelu like this.
  5. Sire Lancelot

Sire Lancelot Avatar

since when Katrina?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  6. Katrina Bekers

I remember the "full shelves" was one of the early strings I translated. End of 2015.

7. Vagabond Sam

Vagabond Sam Avatar

Still needs to be looked at to prevent non land owning players the ability to participate in the economy

8. Katrina Bekers

Limits for a list are just good sense.

Or else, if there were no limits, can you imagine waiting 10 full minutes to download 1 million items, store them in memory, sort them, build the UI for them, etc.? I can hear player crying foul about performance already. And it'd be far worse than it is.

Limits per vendor and especially limits per player are a need, as long as we use a single list.

There should be a different interface/storage mechanic to keep items on sale at a vendor. Like a searchbox, or something like that - but that'd defeat the "put items on display" principle: the customer must know already what s/he's looking for.

Leelu likes this.
  9. Vagabond Sam

Vagabond Sam Avatar

Every other game with an online player auction/market place limits item per player and I have never been restricted from placing even a single item because of the few 'dozen' other items.

Despite the fact that you can rationalize why a system is in place, currently the system is exclusionary. This system is specifically what prevents me from really logging back into the game until the player base is more spread because right now, you can't sell where customers are and therefore my play time, where I wanted to exist primarily as a gatherer/crafter, has no value when I can't sell.

10. Katrina Bekers

And they put *all* items on sale on a single list?

I can tell that EVE and WOW doesn't.

EVE has everything split by item type. WOW has pagination.

11. Sire Lancelot

Sire Lancelot Avatar

Sorry I was not referring to player limits but auction limits... I have nothing for sale on the vendor.

12. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Public vendor defeats the purpose of the vendor I paid a huge amount to receive, who is more bummed you or me?In this game or in life one party will always get the shaft... or both

edit: yes my glass is **** empty

13. Vagabond Sam

Vagabond Sam Avatar

I don;t expect one page listing all the items. My comment wasn't asking them to keep the system as it is and roll it out to infinity. It was to improve it in all aspects of accessibility and whatever technical considerations come with that. I expect a system like WoW, EVE, FFXIV, LOTRO or any other game that doesn't have an easily triggered limit to economic participation, whether or not others feel it devalues their pledge.

14. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Dose it?
    My vendor is selling pretty nicely.

15. Overt Enemy

Overt Enemy Avatar

See, having been there since KS, pretty sure public vendors were always a thing, still pledged knight. I just went more for being in a convenient location instead of trying to compete against major public vendors... which were always going to be a better hub. I can still list there. I just think they need to set a no letter/book posting for a while until the blatent abuse stops. Or hand out some punishments for actions clearly against the spirit of the game and the community..

16. Katrina Bekers

Yup.

I dream of a different method, too. Wrote it already.

But with the system at hand (not the one I dream about), putting a limit on the list is just needed. Actually, on any instant-full-show list - like inventories, or containers, or friends list.

Do I like it? No.

Would I prefer a different system? Yes.

What would mean removing the actual limit from the actual system? Disaster.

17. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

No it sells some items, not in an ideal location in spite. I just like to be overly negative :)

Was mostly pointing out that there are different sides to every story. With the cash I can make hunting having a vendor is only for "fun" I sell items I don't have a need for anymore and the gold they generate affect me 0 but can't give out the items for free as that would lessen other peoples experience as discussed in another thread

to clarify I'm not that bummed out about this at all I just don't like the concept of public vendors

18. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

As everyone already answered, Yes they do.
    There is both a vendor limit and a personal limit.
    Individuals can't list more than 8 items per public vendor.
    The public vendor seems to cap out at a few hundred items.

People have asked for many different changes to address this.
    1. Add pagination and better filters to the vendors and then raise the limit higher. (this works against Ports rumored plan to encourage people to move out of the hidden value)
    2. Add increasing fees to list items as the vendor become fuller. (this makes it harder for poor people to list cheap items, but really no different than what we have now)
    3. Reduce Individual listing cap as the vendor becomes fuller. (e.g. can list 10 items when vendor is empty, 5 items when vendor is 50% full, 1 item when vendor is 90%+ full, we get less listings but makes it harder for individuals to take over a market)
    4. Add more Public Vendors to each town.

We used to be able to just buy up anything less than 100 gold and create a listing that way, however most people have gotten wise to that and list items for much more than that to prevent that and keep the vendors full.

The latest conspiracy theory is that in some towns the locals seem to be conspiring to keep the public vendor full, so that we will be forced to shop at their vendors. (Some people are boycotting Owl's head public vendor and all personal vendors the Owl's head, but there is no organized movement to do this more formally)

Personally I don't think a boycott is actually necessary.
    I think everything would work out just fine if people started Grinding and selling in their local region, as more things become available in other towns, more people will start shopping there.

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  19. Rebelweasel

Rebelweasel Avatar

I still like the idea of renaming them to "Pawn Brokers" and then redesigning them so that they look a bit shady, perhaps even relocate a few to alleys. If our expired items on the vendor get sold for trash money rather than returned to us, then that is a sort of pawn system and accurately reflects the mechanic as it's working now. I've had time to get used to it and I don't mind too much. It helps to focus on a specialty, like 1 or 2 specific items that are your niche to sell, and I find that with a listing of 10 items, eventually I can break up stock and start selling some of my listed 10 items as stacks, which gradually increases my income. In addition, the time spent gathering resources and crafting the niche items I decided to sell tends to eat a lot of time from my combat and gold grinding expeditions so it's sort of nice to have that limiter to keep my gaming time balanced.

Snazz likes this.
  20. Sire Lancelot

Sire Lancelot Avatar

Well I did have several accounts with a vendor but sold these under the assumption I could freely sell on a public vendor as I have done for every release until now. The player limits used to be 10 so it looks like they dropped this as well...

Vendor limits on an open public market will be a game changer for many new and old players like myself. I dont mind have a personal limit - that is fair - but to restrict the public vendor unusable is ridiculous.

Tahru likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.