Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

pvp and direction of the game.

Discussion in 'Release 37 Feedback Forum' started by Nemesis2, Dec 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

And that type of close mindedness is why people quit games.

Well if you want to advance then play this way, or just don't worry about. Hmm... how about we don't put player advancement as a Carrot for PVP that way everyone can play the way they want to play without any advantages for one type of play vs another. Then we add some PVP driven content with PVP benefits and Meaningful objectives to make PVP fun. Wow....

parallelogram likes this.
  2. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

You don't think that complaining about something that you have the freedom to enjoy the same as everyone else is not being close minded? I guess we will have to agree to disagree about who is being close minded here. . .but don't act like a disagreement on a forum is why people quit games, that is silly. People quit games when they stop enjoying the game, not because someone on the forum disagrees with their point of view. LOL if they do quit a game because some random person disagrees with them on a forum then I don't know what to say about that.

I'm all for making PVP more fun, but I can't understand the thinking process behind being jealous over something when you have the same opportunity to take advantage of it yourself. No one is forcing you not to, heck like I mentioned, I played multi with the PVP flag on all day yesterday and I never even engaged in PVP the complainers can do the same thing if they wish, the only person stopping them is their self.

parallelogram and Numa like this.
  3. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

Unflagged folks can't be rolled off a control point, they can work a control point for 10-12 hours straight if they want but PvP folks will be rolled off the CP's fairly regularly as the PvP community gets more active and organized. The attrition created by PvP in popular areas will likely disrupt that 10% xp bonus...not to mention they're dealing with ransoms of 1400, 2500, 4000g, etc

I just thought it was sickening to see how some players were locking instances in order to avoid PvP entirely, but still gaining the 15% xp bonus from being PvP flagged. I suggested a 'blood portal' spell or whatever that allows players to actively seek out instances that have high amounts of PvP players in them.

4. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

No the closed mindedness comes from thinking everyone enjoys PVP. Sorry, but they do not. And I am not talking about a disagreement on the forum causing people to quit, the fact that they think once everyone is enticed enough to try PVP they will enjoy it but that will cause people to quit.

There are many other paths they could choose to make PVP fun with minimal development time that would not affect character advancement and cause this ruckus that you consider complaining.

Here are some suggestions:
    • Dueling challenge: at the end of the release they look at dueling results from all players, only counting 1 duel between same characters. Top 50 players by wins gets a PVP cloak with a tag "I Built PVP here"
    • Control point testing: add a player control point to one PVP scene that does not spawn creatures. At end of release look at the players that controlled the point the longest and award a cloak with "I controlled PVP" place the control point at the bottom of the crater so now you can also test the elevation combat changes as players defending will be at a disadvantage when driven back into the crater.
    These suggestions would get me to PVP and Deul and I think they would be a fun temporary fix while other more permanent decisions are made and scenes completed. But they chose to go with an EXP Carrot that pushed sheep into PVP temporarily for skill gains, not to PVP.

5. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

Well I never mentioned anything about thinking that everyone enjoys PVP, so your comment about being close minded was ill-spoken if that's what you were really referring to with that. Also I know not everyone enjoys PVP, which is why I keep making a point to say that I spent the entirety of yesterday enjoying the mulit-pvp exp bonus without participating in PVP for a single moment. Just because you flag doesn't mean you actually have to fight anyone. There are ways to avoid PVP, many scenes that stay perpetually empty to xp farm in, and stealth spells that help you avoid other players if you wish.

And again, the EXP carrot the pushed sheep into PVP is a misstatement because no one has been forced into PVP, you make the decision to flag and play in multi yourself. I don't understand why people don't get that.

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I agree with this. As it is, PvP in SotA is just a griefer's paradise.

7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I seriously have to laugh at the people threatening to rage quit over a lousy 10% experience bonus.

8. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

@Toadster

Make up your mind. Either its a big advantage to be flagged in PvP or it's a waste of time where you get griefed and cant progress, you say both things at once.

You mentioned that it's about character advancement and being able to bring more resources to market. You are completely ignoring the fact that its 10x more effective to both advance your character and about 100x more effective to collect resources in SPO and FO modes right now. I know you are anti PvP and don't want to actually look at the way the game is set up currently, but when you make comments calling people ignorant and close minded without even a basic understanding of how it works.. well.. you see how that makes you look.

PvP flag barely gets people joining in at the moment, and a lot of those that are flagging are doing so because of some imaginary 'character advancement' competition with other players that isnt actually happening. The measly 10% xp, when you run the risk of griefing, legit fights taking up your time, getting run otu of zones by enemy groups, etc... it just as often puts people behind in xp as it does ahead.

Its been made abundantly clear by many people here and in practice in the game, and just by the game design of the different modes. The absolute best way to advance your character and get max xp and max resources is in any mode other than mutli. So maybe take your head out of the sand, quit crying about a part of the game that you clearly don't understand, and push for some balance in the areas that actually need it.

9. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Sorry must have misunderstood your statement statement above. Really seems like everyone should be enjoying PVP and the benefits that follow.

Unfortunately not a stealth archer and prefer not to play that character type, yet.

Ok, change Pushed to Enticed or encouraged and now you have the statement from the Telethon. Same difference really, push, nudge, entice... its a reason to flag even if you don't want to PVP.

I don't think the 10% is a big deal, but I think this direction they are going and the carrots they are choosing to use, are a big deal. They need a different approach than character advancement and resources.

You may look at how it is setup currently but I prefer to look at how the released game is going to look. Some do feel right now SPO/FPO is best for EXP and resources, but when they Other changes come in R38 is that still going to be the case? So again long term, if character advancement is a Carrot to use, what is going to next?

Wow... hey Pot, meet Kettle

10. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

@Toadster

I actually agree that a small xp boost is not the right way to entice people to do PvP, as do numerous PvP advocates. Ideally there would be more of a reason to fight other players, things like guild wars, properly meaningful PvP zones, etc.

The devs seem to feel the same way, which is why everything i've seen indicates that this xp boost is an experiment for them to get more people into pvp and get more data on it. It has already been drastically reduced over the course of just one patch. We also know that they are working on zones like Blood Bay and things like that to make PvP exciting.

So we can have multiple true statements here...
    1. The current small xp boost is not much of a bonus and is vastly eclipsed by just going to FO or SPO
    2. No one is being forced into doing PvP if they don't want to
    3. There should be more meaningful PvP incentives

Instead of recognizing that there can be multiple factors, right now we have a flood of entitlement rolling through the forums in the vein of "OMG That player has a 10% xp boost for flagging OMG I'm being punished by not flagging too OMG I died while flagged why am I being forced to PVP??!?!"

If that doesn't apply to you then great, I apologize for implying it :)

11. Morgoth redbeard

Morgoth redbeard Avatar

getting 10% for go multi is a good shange like that allot i dont pvp so i aint going to coment on that but good move

12. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

@Preachyr

Why is the words pushed and forced so important to people? If the direction continues and they choose more skills, characte advancementr, resources to entice people to PVP and people feel the only way to get ahead would be PVP. It may not truly be forcing people to PVP because they still have 3 options join them, fall behind, or quit. It's going to be a balancing act I hope they don't fail at.

I agree with 3 and I don't think 1 will stay that way past release.

13. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I stopped right there with this utterly ridiculous statement. I have never seen anyone ever even insinuate in any way that everyone enjoys PvP. Just stop already.

I however will insinuate that if all these anti-game PvP put as much time into in game PvP as they do to forums PvP, they would be masters. In fact, they already are master forum gankers.

14. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

I can't speak for others but for me it's because the word forced means that you have no choice, and that is just blatantly false. Whatever the reasons you want to say that you feel you need to flag up, the game forcing you to do it just doesn't happen. For me I am hoping that lots of new people come to this game and having blatant lies in the forums such as "the game is forcing me to pvp" could be a big turnoff to people which would be a shame.

Curious why you think that this is the direction they are heading? Right now the evidence we have is that exactly 1 patch after introducing it, they REDUCED the bonus. There is a confirmed and showcased PvP specific area coming very soon, and they have given every indication of wanting to do more of that and add more meaning to PvP. The direction that they are headed is going exactly opposite of what you are worried about, so far.

15. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Forced could also mean in order to be competitive or advance you need to play a specific way or a specific template. I don't truly think it's there, yet but I worry it may be a direction they go. So I would not say these are blatant lies because people feel this way about the game currently. And if the current population gets that feeling after 36 releases there could be a great number of new players coming in that feel that way also.

Reduced and not removed with an experiment susseccful description in the release notes. I hope they do introduce some major changes with the new PVP town but I'm worried now about what type of PVP (Direction) they are going to bring in as the only things we have seen so far are increased resources and increased EXp.

16. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Everyone's grievances are legit, every time. We may not identify with them, we may disagree with them, but having a grievance is a legitimate thing which you cannot take away from people.

zcundizmond and Toadster like this.
  17. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Let me throw a wild one out there, perhaps a "real" reason to PVP. Perhaps beyond the scope of SotA, but who knows, maybe in later episodes?

MP PVP Questing.

It was a dark and stormy quest, whereing you did whatever happens in the most appropriate quest for this situation. At the end of it, you don't fight a boss, but someone that you partied up with in order to complete the quest. Someone of the opposite virtue standing. Who shall reign supreme, good or evil? It's different every time, because your PVP battle at the end determines it.

(Five years from now, perhaps)

Toadster likes this.
  18. Jackdepirate

Jackdepirate Avatar

Without this feature, there was rarely PvP unless the 2 parties agreed. With this feature, there is oftentimes PvP in any populated town you go to almost any time of the day. This feature does not FORCE anybody to flag PvP, but rather makes you weigh in your choice to do so. Is the risk worth the reward? The risk is you may get attacked and possibly have to spend some gold, the reward is more xp. This bonus helps PvPers because it's turned ghost town multiplayer zones into PVP battlegrounds, and it helps the PvEers by allowing them to potentially gain 1/5 more xp than they would in a solo instance. You cannot lose xp by dying to a player, you are only losing 2 random stacks of items out of your backpack and a body part. If you're worried THAT much about a ransom, you can simply split every stack of everything that you own into 20s or 10s or 5s or even 1s if you want to go that far, and your ransoms will cost next to nothing. Be smart about how you play. Delete people off your friends list that are known PvPers so they can't spy. Asking for a Fel/Trammel split is silly when ALL PvP in SotA is optional.

At the end of the day, this system allows PvErs to basically "buy" more xp with gold (the ransom money it costs you if you die), and allows PvPers to make gold, without HAVING to PvE. Don't ask to shoot down the system that has started revitalizing PvP and simultaneously made the PvE grind much easier for those willing to risk the gold.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  19. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

What we need is a community manager that likes PVP. Berek is awesome, but I don't think he's into PVP - a second community manager that understands PVP from a gamer's perspective would help threads like this.

20. parallelogram

parallelogram Avatar

In my opinion I do not think people are making 25% more than the rest of other players when there are people like Jack and I around. The only exception is when players exploit instancing to keep their flag in a non accessible instance for reward without risk, which is definitely cheating. When they are in a multiplayer instance, even if they are not killed - they are forced to adapt their decks to defend themselves rather than focusing on pure PvE, which is the point of the bonus. At the very least, the grinders who choose to run attended macros will have to watch their screens a lot more closely than from Teamviewer on their phone.

zcundizmond likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.