Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

PvP and play in Multiplayer to get a 25% boost to exp or no

Discussion in 'Release 36 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Weins201, Nov 9, 2016.

?

25% boost to exp to play flagged PvP and in Multi PLayer mode (PvP world)

1. Yes good idea

22 vote(s)
    48.9%
  2. No bad idea

23 vote(s)
    51.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

SImlpe

Call it whatever you want

To get this boost you have to flag PvP and enter the world in Multiplayer making the whole world PvP

They call this encouraging people to PvP

I call it forcing players into the PvP world.

Debtae all you want but vote.

FrostII likes this.
  2. Selene

Selene Avatar

I don't think the other poll should have been locked.. the point of this thread is the poll itself.. even if it is being debated elsewhere (without a poll)

Gaelis and Net like this.
  3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

I had to change the titles since I was misleading I was told to change it or delete it so I deleted it and rewrioet it the other one should be gone but the lock came in and hung it

x_Selene_x likes this.
  4. Womby

Womby Avatar

Compared to single player, playing with other people provides far less XP. Way more than 25% less. That's why I always enter adventure scenes alone. I consider the changes a reasonable step towards redressing the balance. I think the change involving groups, and the other change involving multiplayer+PVP are both reasonable, and I happen to think that I am still significantly better off working adventure scenes on my own.

Duke Avery, moko and Bow Vale like this.
  5. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Hmm I dont think if you're soloing in multiplayer you should get any form of bonus, just cos you can see other people is worth 25%, but, Im curious to see how it works in practice

Vaiden Luro likes this.
  6. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I think anything Portalarium does to encourage PVP and multiplayer activities is a good thing.

margaritte, Audacity and Bow Vale like this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I just call it unfair if your thing is not PvP.

8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Smells like Felucca all over again.
    Catering to the minority at the expense of the majority.
    They already have their resource laden Shardfalls, Ruins and now cities of their own, and yet they remain unsatisfied....

Encouraging people to PvP ?
    It never works.
    People PvP or they don't, and giving PvP ANY advantage is taking away from the rest of us.

Take your 25% exp bonus and kindly stick it....

I really, really hate this move and am presently contemplating whether or not I will remain.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
    Gaelis, Vaiden Luro, Net and 4 others like this.
  9. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Assuming this new mechanic is intentional on the part of the devs, I am not really bothered by it.

I don't PVP, but I don't feel that anything is being taken away from me if PVPers get an exp bonus. I'm not competing with them.

I remember discussions a while back where PVPers were lamenting the fact that lower level players couldn't find PVP opponents of the same level because players were grinding to very high levels before flagging for PVP. Perhaps this exp bonus might encourage PVPers to PVP at lower levels, alleviating this problem a bit.

Womby, moko, Bow Vale and 1 other person like this.
  10. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

If people are doing more PvP....they are doing less PvE......a 25% increase will not be anywhere near enough 'compensation' if they are doing PvP a lot. Maybe with some new PvP scenes/ideas coming in, players who PvP will maybe need this kind of incentive otherwise they will be left behind. The talk about Felucia above, well, initially when no gear was in the game and players had a cap, once got to all they did was PvP generally, later on when blessed items came in(PvE players had time to farm/make and get best equipment), they were behind the curve to the normal players who then for a time even with less skill were stronger than the regular pvp's. Don't know what happened then as i left...2004 or so.

With this game with no skill cap if PvP with any meaning is in the game anyone doing it consistently will be behind those that just farm in spo or even in moo mode.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  11. golruul

golruul Avatar

Yeah this is garbage.

I'm against the 5-10% bonus or whatever it is for multiplayer/party as "incentive", but can tolerate it for now. I still believe if they fix the various issues with multiplayer they won't need to offer these incentives.

But what does killing wolves/skeletons/whatever have to do with PvP? Absolutely nothing. So why does a PvPer get bonuses for things that have absolutely no relation to PvP?

If incentives are needed, offer incentives that make sense to the topic. Although I disagree with the multiplayer/party incentive, it does make some sense -- devs want the world to be more "filled" and so give a bonus to xp for parties in multiplayer. Okay, that incentive has a good link to the goal of "more filled world".

For the goal of "better PvP", offering more xp for killing wolves doesn't make sense and has no relation to the goal. Similarly, offering more general crafting resources (more/better/exclusive nodes, etc.) makes no sense and has no relation to the goal, unless those nodes are for PvP-only stuff.

Here's an example of a relevant incentive: give more xp when PvPers kill each other. This makes sense, is related to the goal, and actively encourages the very goal it is targetting. If anything, they should be designing in this direction.

FrostII, Net, GrayFog and 1 other person like this.
  12. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

We should all ask for super rare decorative armor and weapons that can only be achieved through meaningful adventuring PVP (in multiplayer). And only the people that put in the long hard hours of PVP (while in multiplayer) should be eligible for them. XP is really only important to min/max types anyway... the idea is genuinne and pretty cool - but I want meaningful PVP and super uber rare elite weapons and armor and some kick ass forum titles - and they can even make it two sets. One exclusive to Dev+ and a second for all the rest.

The goal of this entire exercise is likely to get as many people engaged in multiplayer and PVP so they can test, balance, tune, polish, fix, etc... and improve combat/PVP mechanics. I think it makes sense to expose these early-access PVP testers to as many multiplayer PVP scenarios as possible. But only the min/max crowd cares about XP - we wants the rares!

x_Selene_x likes this.
  13. golruul

golruul Avatar

I have no issues with rewards of decorative/elite items (provided it isn't something geared to non-PvP like +100 damage to wolves) or forum titles or, heck, even in-game titles. Those are fine.

If they want to get a bunch of testers for PvP, there's a bunch of ideas they can do, including the ones you mentioned. They could also have PvP weekends where you don't lose anything/have to pay for anything. I'm sure a lot of people would try this. Additionally, they could add some roleplay/lore PvP weekends where some foreign noble/psycho arrives and pays people for bodyparts/pay for players to fight in an arena/whatever. This directly encourages actual PvP. Countless ideas that actually relate to PvP and can be fit into the game narrative/lore can be done.

But more xp for PvPers killing wolves? Come on. That's lazy, unimaginative, and has nothing to do with PvP.

Gaelis, FrostII, GrayFog and 2 others like this.
  14. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

okay, as an avid pvp'er i have to comment on this, i am both for and against this move, im more leaning towards it being good but im still skeptical, i mean sure its great port are thinking of ways to encourage pvp but it was always going to upset the vast majority of players that PVE, and thats fine, but i emplore you pve guys to consider it from our point of view, once we hit level 100 what is there to do? pvp is our endgame, and personally i dont see it as unfair per say simply because of the fact you arent competing with us, what does it matter to you how fast we gain levels? , i will say however that rather than saying we must flag pvp and enter multiplayer, have it a timed system, where by you flag for a period of time and once you amass a certain alotted time, the bonus becomes active for x amount of time, rather than being a permanent bonus. sure , it might not be ideal but at least its a step in the right direction.

Kara Brae likes this.
  15. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Except xp incentive is not the answer. Getting people to pvp is not the answer. People who choose to pvp if it is made fun is the answer. And I am a broken record, I won't replay, well for a while ;)

Gaelis, Elwyn and Net like this.
  16. Womby

Womby Avatar

As observed by others it would seem that the logical way to encourage PVP play without antagonising some of those who prefer not to engage in PVP is to offer PVP players a reward that non-PVP players would have no interest in. That could be potions that are only useful in PVP, PVP-related titles, etc. Although I personally have no problem with the changes, I can see that offering something that PVE players would like is not enticing them all to flag for PVP. Instead it would appear that for some it is causing resentment. I suspect that with some careful thought the desired result could be achieve without the resentment.

EDIT: How about a PVP tab in the add-on store. You accumulate points for each hour that you are flagged for PVP, and the points can be traded for items in the PVP section of the store. Stock it with things that won't give an in-game advantage.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    moko and Net like this.
  17. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

I think Chris was having a problem with the ways these types of systems could be easily manipulated. Same with a leaderboard system.
    Not that the current implementation cant be 'gamed', but he seems to think this is the answer.

I am not convinced.
    I'm not against a PvP xp bonus, but we dont have the population to police CP's and zones 24/7. I think the 'rich get richer' under this system.
    At 3am server time how many folks are actually on? Some of our Aussie brethren, and the guys that want to exploit. (not everyone, I know).
    Who is there to stop (or interrupt) these guys with 66-100 GMs at that hour? It might as well be friends only then, with a 25%xp increase.
    Not cool imo.

Net and x_Selene_x like this.
  18. Net

Net Avatar

Bad bad bad idea. Well, it could be made better, but there is still terrible lag in PvE when you are not scene master, that is number one issue. Number two issue is there is no xp decay when you die in PvP, will that change? And what if people die a lot because of lag and being attacked by mobs they do not even see?

How it will work when you flag for PvP, hide somewhere safe and have party members do the killing for you ,will you get bonus then?

What about people who severly exploited early game mechanics and all the imbalancies and have several GMs and have really huge advantage in PvP? How big group of average players you need to kill such a guy?

What about people who play mostly at times with minimum people so they do nto risk running into anyone really?

Btw, I still think that incentive to PvP could be gear and stuff providing bonus in PvP (combat) but also marking players as PvPers and forcing them in multiplayer and having high chance of being lost at death with crazy high ransom.
    I do not think more xp for some (i.e. players who will mix max everything in broken pre release state of the game) is the best way to go.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    Gaelis likes this.
  19. Net

Net Avatar

I think some sort of xp sap would be cool, though abusable by xp sellers. Mabye if it was like everytime you die in non-duel PvP you lose 0.1% of your xp and whover killed you gets 0.05% and 0.05% is lost (decay)... but hopefully there would be option for non-lethal fights with no xp loss.

20. moko

moko Avatar

I'd really like if the bonus for doing PVP would be getting useful items for PVP that gave no advantage for PVE but I'm out of ideas what that could realistically could be. I imagine it would be hard to implement or too much work to determine if someone is currently battling a monster or a player and thus allowed to use that PVP potion.

I can live with the current solution as I think, as has been noted in this thread before, that you earn less exp in total in MP anyways.

Bow Vale likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.