PVP compromise idea

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by tiggis2006, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

No, they said they believe in the product they want to deliver and they want everyone to trust them when they say they want to include those things too but they must protect the overall product.

Passive aggressive technique are fun eh.

There will be plenty of sandbox/pvp/social aspects in SotA if you -choose- to partake. They are not destroying or omitting the sandbox. It's actually a much bigger and more dynamic box than before.

2. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

without open pvp with full loot this game will die in the sense of MMO play.it could still be a good single player + co-op with ur kids game, but it will not be popular online.
    Because all of the guys who wants brainless gameplay are ALREADY in WoW, aion and other stupid games, and those who don't want a brainless grindfest will avoid sota because there would be simply no appeal in the gameplay.

I myself no longer want to visit the forums and I will likely not play the game.
    I'm a busy man with a job and a life and If I am going to spend time on the internet pretending to be a virtual hero, I want the game to be GOOD. Like, really GOOD. Just like UO was.

jondavis and Isaiah like this.
  3. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Fortunately, we'll have the chance to see if your theory is correct.

Silent Strider likes this.
  4. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

No doubt, because you still have a 75% chance to attack people who aren't into PvP, ie: easy pickings, and you'll get away with it. So, yeah, I can see why you'd enjoy it quite a lot.

I'm not sure when the message is finally going to sink in -- which is bizarre, because the decision's already been made -- that you just can't walk up to people in SotA and stick 'em.

People who want that sort of gameplay would be best served by expending their energy looking for a game that will give them that, rather than writing thread after thread about it here.

Time Lord and Rufus D`Asperdi like this.
  5. WebTeam

WebTeam Avatar

Yes you are correct, its a very deceitful term for them to use and mislead a lot of people. For the independent poles in the forums that I have seen I would say about 40% of their donations are from people looking for a spiritual succor that included the original RG Ultima Online style world but more refined and better "justice" mechanics to prevent griefing. About 20% seem to be in the camp of "I dont care, either way, so long as the story and lore is good. I'm really here for the game, not multiplayer." Then the other 40% are the anti-open PvP group. But you are correct, Spiritual Successor can mean many things and is definitely a deceitful term.

I actually did think RG was looking to Deliver all things Ultima when I donated. I was thinking he wanted to make a completely new game in the 'spirit' of Ultima. Getting back to terms... to mean it meant taking the heart of what is great about original Ultima single player and what was great about original Ultima Online. and expanding off those. So for me and probably 40% of the rest of us, it meant to include the open world, open player interaction(this would include PvP), and all, then improve on them to be a successor of that line of thinking. I was imagining a world where griefers would not be happy PKing cause they would be gravely hunted by some justice system(as you would in the real world) and have to go into hiding. Things that prevent people from wanting to do that cause it means being dedicated to the role(which griefer are typically childish jerks that only see an opportunity to pick on someone and not interested in such a thing).

6. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

No matter what justice system they put in place it will never work to prevent griefing. In fact, they will use that system to grief and hide behind the system to keep people from doing anything about it.

The term spiritual successor is in no way deceitful as it has a major requirement. You must look into the spirit of what the team is attempting to create before it can be understood. The only people deceived are those that didn't look.

Besides, there will be a moral system in place and there will be the ability to openly attack anyone that chooses to partake in open PvP. It's not as bad as people make it sound, it's just not what was done in the past, so it's automatically dismissed - by the people deceiving themselves.

Ned888, Silent Strider and rune_74 like this.
  7. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

PvEers and the new wave of mmo crowds have won the battle.
    It is hopeless for the PvP players.
    So, Hi Ho, Hi Ho - It's back to UO we Go
    I guess UO will never die because no one will make another like it.

bassaX likes this.
  8. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I guess you can leave without seeing the full picture in action... that's your choice.

9. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

I've looked and found no fear in this game.
    UO brought that fear, and with that fear people came together and fought for what was right.

10. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Define fear. Players attacking people that do not wish to be attack? Is that what you wish?
    Or the ability to openly attack and be attack with other players willing to be open to such game play?

If you wish to attack people that do not wish to be attacked, how long do you think it will last? Those people quit, then you end up with only the players willing to be open to such game play.

Simply put, if you wish to put fear in the game by allowing non consensual PvP you lose anyone that would have fear.

11. bassaX

bassaX Avatar

The reason so many UO shards have insane population ;) limiting PvP + No "Real" reward for PvP making ArcheAge from any game. Btw is anyone playing UOForever shard?

12. bassaX

bassaX Avatar

Mate, so in your words the "wish" of non pvpers > the "wish" of PvPers? You dont want to be attacked > I want to attack you? Is that what you mean?

13. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Yea some quit but for many fear brought us together and created a family.
    As of now there is no mode for fear.
    Why come together?
    What am I fighting for?
    You can join PVP but what will you lose, maybe an item or two?
    I see no reason to fight evil when there is none.

14. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

Fear isn't everyone's bag, though. Don't impute your gameplay preferences onto others.

15. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

I'm just saying there is no mode for that, they left those of us out that enjoyed that play style.

16. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

There are players that will consent to PvP and there are players that will not. You can wish to attack those players that will not consent but you will never be able to. They will leave.

17. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Yes there is. It's there you can consent to it. If they add a mode you still must consent to it. How is this any different.

18. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

So...fear from people who don't like being attacked is a thrill? I'm not sure what else I could get from that since those that like that playstyle will have it. Can't say I will miss you if that's the reason you are so upset.

Bodhbh Dearg likes this.
  19. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

I do not see how this is true. You opt in to PvP, and you are eligible as a PvP target for any similarly opted-in player AS WELL AS for any guild which has declared as PvP. Similarly, any of the aforementioned are now eligible as PvP targets for you.

If you want to feel hunted, you'll have your fill of hunters after a short while; it won't take the friends graph and the server long to make sure you mostly meet like-minded players.

The ONLY two things you won't get are a) the ability to attack those who don't want it, and b) to strip bare a defeated opponent. And if that's your thing - causing other players to fear who don't want it, or maximally humiliating a defeated opponent - then yes, this game will offer you nothing. But equally, that's not a bad thing.

20. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

You only lose like one or two items at a time and then you can ransom it back.
    Again where is the fear in that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.