1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

PVP & Death: Current Thinking Megapost

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ikirouta

Ikirouta Avatar

I don't like the idea of ransoms too much. How can you also determine the "real" value of an item if they are manufactured by a player? If some value can be determined then I would rather see that those highly valuable items have lower chance to be looted.

Maybe, there could be also much higher probability to get back your old stuffs, if you'll manage to kill and loot the same player afterwards (revenge bonus). I.e. player X kills you and gets your mighty sword, you come back and manage to kill player X and the chance to get the same sword back is very high.

I am also not very crazy about the PvP specific skills. Might be ok if they won't matter too much. I would HATE a situation where I have played several months in PvE and then my character sucks balls in PvP.

2. Bolck

Bolck Avatar

I realy like these propositions, especialy the flagging guild/oracle one. On the other hand, i dont understand why PVE player want to decide wheter there will be full loot or partial loot in pvp, since they will have the choice not to participate in it...

3. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Full loot is NOT a PvE-centric decision. If a player wants nothing to do with PvP, he/she probably doesn't care how you divide up your loot. The reasoning in the mega-post was that they didn't want people to be afraid to take their best stuff into PvP zones. The reasoning was NOT: PvE players don't like it.

4. cariac

cariac Avatar

I dont like Ransom, This is a really bad idea.

:(

Plz change it !

Tiggis, Gunga Din [PAX] and Abydos like this.
  5. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

You're probably gonna need to provide some evidence as to why it's bad, before you have much of an impact. ;)

6. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Mesh this with the death mechanic and the limited time as a ghost.

The killer has time to loot, a delay based on weight/size on the time it takes, take what you can but the victim isn't going to be there for looting for long.

7. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

I think the times have changed dramatic.

We went through the first days of MMOG that had a very hard penalty back 1995... this resulted in the ages of MMOG become more and more soft and babysitting - to get more customers... it worked.

But today the times are different. Now survival games, with brutal penalties suddenly attracked a huge market. Games like "Rust" get instantly up to 1 million backers in a pre-alpha stage with far worse capability then Sota, this should be a clear sign that times are not the same anymore and the playerbase that urges for more realistic consequences has dramaticaly changed.

I apploud Shroud of the Avatar trying to apeal to PvE and PvP ... but i think we , i include myself, the PvE players maybe should reconsider our old fashion way of thinking in regards to a huge potential market out there that SotA won´t attracked with current above PvP suggestion.

Sorry. but i am just frustrated and can´t understand how such a game like "Rust" can get 1 Million and Shroud of the Avatar is fighting to get maybe 50 000 Backers. But SotA has such a great community with Heraldy Team, The Poets Society, the wonderful people....

What are we doing wrong?

Yes. Chris... I know we are doing alot wrong. :)

But realy...look at this Rust Game, what i consider realy not impressive and explain to me how they can attracked so many players. I think we should try to get a chunk of these players to SotA.

Thats it.

I think the above system is very good DarkStarr, but i am also generation "old gamer".
    I would love to know how generation "young gamers" would think of it.

8. cariac

cariac Avatar

I want the game to be full loot. Do i need to say more ?

It's so unattractive.

:(

Donal_Mor, Tiggis and blaquerogue like this.
  9. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

I think the big problem here is we are supposed to follow some kind of story and they decided that we would need better and better gear to get through this story.
    So if at anytime we lost all our stuff it would set us to far back and we would not be able to fight at the level they want us to.
    This is the biggest reason for no full loot I think.

Yes it could be that they just want PVE players to join into PVP but I think it's more then that.

To solve the problem would be to figure out how we can continue to lose everything we have and yet still be able to fight stronger and stronger creatures in the game.

10. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

If you want to get the Devs' interest? Yes. You need to provide a compelling argument and an inventive alternative. It's really up to you.

Ragnabrock and mitchellhamilton like this.
  11. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

Rust was specifically designed and advertised and was always going to be a "survival game created by Facepunch Studios. Inspired by games like DayZ, Minecraft and Stalker – Rust aims to create a hostile environment in which emergent gameplay can flourish."

That is a completely different game than SotA was ever meant to be considering it was promoted as an fantasy RPG.

12. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

I have two son who will play (I hope). One has to buy the game (with $ 20 Alienware).
    He told me there are two days following thing

'' Me and my friends cant wait to play a RPG Full Loot. I never play it, but heard so much about.''

Small slice of my dad life :)

13. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

I would be more concerned about skill match of players selected for one instance. There will be some kind of ranking in open PvP to match certain skill-level of PvPers?

I always thought about insurance like a great method to get good gear into battle, BUT, limited to 2 or 3 selected items.

14. G Din

G Din Avatar

So basically, PvP will be running around in packs , looking for people to kill....

Tiggis likes this.
  15. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

I'm still not sure why you want to kill someone.
    For one item?

Vision OpenWorld and Tiggis like this.
  16. G Din

G Din Avatar

I don't get it either...

I have no desire to PvP in this game as it stands.

Vision OpenWorld and Tiggis like this.
  17. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

now my comments and dumb questions as mostly PVE player

I like the ghost mechanic and they way they can't speak with living people or interact with their world. But it is a pity I can't haunt my murder because I don't recognize him ( couldn't he become a red light between all the other blinking spots? ) or have the time for it. The player shouldn't be forced to come back to life through a timer, he should decide if he takes the offer to be revived by a player/system or not. I have no problem with the death penalties, I like the XP debt :).

Question on looting:
    - When will the opponent loot me? If I travel with a party and die but not my party member, will they able to defend my corpse from looting (PVP and PVE)?
    - What is the definition of 1 item? One log is not the same like plate boots. If I have 20 logs will he get all? Can I reduce the possiblity to lose gear if I have enough different stuff in my bag?
    - What is with bought stuff from the add-on store or stuff we got over our pledge? Could we lose that to?
    - Why does the loser decide about the ransom and not the winner? At the moment the winner is also the loser if he got what he don't want.
    - Will you get the loot immediately after the loser decided about ransom? What if my bag is full?
    - Will the monster, which loots me, have the item if I kill him before someone did it? Will he also have all the other items from the other who died, if I'm the first who kills him?

Ghosts:
    - I understand that spying as Ghost in PVP shouldn't be supported. But I loved the fact that I could watch my party fighting the monster till the end. On the one hand I could learn and on the other hand when I was revived I knew the situation my party was confronted. It should be considered that, as long as you don't move an inch you should see the everything only monochrome.
    - Have we to discover the weak spots in the Hex before we could use it?

I hope you could give me some answers.

Vision OpenWorld likes this.
  18. Ikirouta

Ikirouta Avatar

Will the 1 hour timer of the ransom also mean that even if you decide (or can) to pay immediately you will have to wait 1 hour to get your item(s) back? Otherwise, the richer player can return to the battle high number of times than the next fella.

Vision OpenWorld and DavenRock like this.
  19. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Is loot the reason you want to kill someone? What about the purpose of PvP, the story, or the joy of PvP?

20. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Don't get flagged for PvP and you'll never have to deal with the system.

On the whole, I think the system is very well designed and a good compromise. I like how story is informing mechanic decisions as well.

Along those lines though, is there any story explanation for resurrection? Can players resurrect others with magic?

How does the world see death, ghosts, the afterlife and resurrection?

DavenRock, NirAntae, Akeashar and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.