1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

PVP & Death: Current Thinking Megapost

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

Since the Dev+ Thread is closed I have to reask my questions here

now my comments and dumb questions as mostly PVE player

I like the ghost mechanic and they way they can't speak with living people or interact with their world. But it is a pity I can't haunt my murder because I don't recognize him ( couldn't he become a red light between all the other blinking spots? ) or have the time for it. The player shouldn't be forced to come back to life through a timer, he should decide if he takes the offer to be revived by a player/system or not. I have no problem with the death penalties, I like the XP debt :).

Question on looting:
    - When will the opponent loot me? If I travel with a party and die but not my party member, will they able to defend my corpse from looting (PVP and PVE)?
    - What is the definition of 1 item? One log is not the same like plate boots. If I have 20 logs will he get all? Can I reduce the possiblity to lose gear if I have enough different stuff in my bag?
    - What is with bought stuff from the add-on store or stuff we got over our pledge? Could we lose that to?
    - Why does the loser decide about the ransom and not the winner? At the moment the winner is also the loser if he got what he don't want.
    - Will you get the loot immediately after the loser decided about ransom? What if my bag is full?
    - Will the monster, which loots me, have the item if I kill him before someone did it? Will he also have all the other items from the other who died, if I'm the first who kills him?

Ghosts:
    - I understand that spying as Ghost in PVP shouldn't be supported. But I loved the fact that I could watch my party fighting the monster till the end. On the one hand I could learn and on the other hand when I was revived I knew the situation my party was confronted. It should be considered that, as long as you don't move an inch you should see the everything only monochrome.
    - Have we to discover the weak spots in the Hex before we could use it?

I hope you could give me some answers.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

One thought that comes to my mind is: why the need for separate gear for pvp and pve? Doesn't that just needlessly complicate things? It just seems that no matter how we would try we would get some of the gear grind happening. It doesn't sound like fun to me. It goes against our plan to be different. Please no separate gear!!!!!!!!!!

It was like in wow, oh let me get my healing clothes and weapons on. I believe as a player our skill should be what determines the fight. I don't want to gear grind. I only heard "we will try not to have it be a gear grind", well take away the different types of gear.

I vote for The PVP and PVE skills a player has will be what ultimately wins the fight whether it be against a creature or another player.

And I still like the idea of weapons and maybe armor being able to be enchanted, maybe with lightning and then the player's skill of lightning will make him/her better at knocking that other player on his butt. Then you'd say ahhhh did I hurt you?

3. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Depends on the player.
    I support all of the above play styles.

Tiggis and blaquerogue like this.
  4. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I used to kill people for the loot....it was my main reason.

Take armer and weapons to either use, sell on or break down into resources to use. Take potions to use for myself and guild.

The joy of PvP is getting the kill, getting the bragging rights and getting the loot.

Hate to say it, most PvPers probably won't be overly interested in the story. Your not talking about RPers and quest driven PvMers.....the PvP community are a different breed with a different outlook.

Tiggis, Havoc, blaquerogue and 4 others like this.
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I'm don't usually do pvp but I agree with Envy. As much as I hate to loose stuff if PK'd the ransom system seems a bit flaky, sorry to be harsh about it.

It just seems it would take away something to have it so controlled like that. I'm not feeling the ransom system at all and imagine I don't even pvp that much lol.

If I don't want to be pk'd I need to take steps to avoid it, but to take away the adrenaline rush some would feel just doesn't seem like it would be appealing.

The loot option is just too strict. There is no 'hey I better be careful or I'll loose it. I did like the bless system more, then if you didn't do it you could loose it, that would be on you.

alexis7601, Casteel, Tiggis and 7 others like this.
  6. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Why Richard talk about Compromise ?????

• They are already giving the same resources in PVE areas that are in PVP areas.

• We already have no non- consensual pvp.

• Around 5% of the world will be open pvp. (without the flag, GvG, Duel and other option).

• I have no words to express my disappointment for the 1 items on loot (With the option PAY/BACK Ransom).

I see this as almost a total win for the PVErs.

Where is the Compromise ?????????????????????????????????

Thank you for your understanding. Hire this woman in compgnie :)

I have no-words

Personally, I feel abandoned.

7. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

You can still get loot with this system. Just can't loot someone dry. The number of items vs gold can be tweaked.

Ned888, Lord Baldrith and docdoom77 like this.
  8. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Agreed. This is what needs a lot of help. It feels like the purpose is still lacking. Killing a person should be a necessary evil and a last resort. We're trying to accomplish something bigger and the enemy unavoidably got in our way.

Ultima games were a blow against the silliness of slaughtering NPCs...killing players for no real purpose feels like a gigantic leap backwards.

9. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

10. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

One thing that should be noted is that UO introduced "insurance" to help encourage people to go to Fel and potentially engage within PvP.

The outcome was that the players who wanted something safe still didn't go to Fel, and the PvPers got bored and quit. There is no reason not to have full loot in PvP areas.

11. Curt

Curt Avatar

with volcanoes and meteoric strikes causing temporary pvp zones with unusual stuff, i hope is simular stuff for pve people.
    I.E temporary interesting places.

12. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

Can you provide a citation for that figure please?

And it has already been stated that "Blessing of the Oracle" is effectively Open PvP anywhere, anytime against everyone else flagged for PvP.

13. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I don't understand why anyone would want full loot when they don't even know what the equipment system will be like.

I like obtaining items to be challenging. I like it to take considerable effort. I like rare items, like true black sandals, glacial staffs, etc. I would like it, if my "end game" full suit of equipment is that difficult to obtain.

The other side of this, if there is item durability loss, increasing repair costs, and an affinity system as described during kickstarter, why would you want all those old items that someone else has affinity for and already increased the repair costs on those items? It isn't useful for you, so do you just want to make other players suffer? Is that your goal with pvp is to make other people miserable?

Based on what I've heard on the equipment system and crafting system I would never engage in pvp if they made it full loot.

The most popular PvP game out there is League of Legends, and it has no loot.

And finally, there is no non-consenual pvp and 100% of the world can be open pvp.

14. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I want to see a player and decide I want his sword and his armer.....kill him and take it provided there is room in my pack and I can carry the weight.

I don't want a system to tell me what I can and can't take......I want to decide my self. Equally if the ransom system is put in place.....I killed the person....I decide the price on what it is worth to me not the other player and certainly not the general market.

Tiggis, blaquerogue and majoria70 like this.
  15. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

I'm neither pro nor contra PvP, but this proposal seems flakey to me as well! I cannot put it in words right now (and maybe I will come back and be more eloquent once I have thought it over), but even UO's insurance seems a better option to me right now... Sorry guys, not working for me, though I cannot pinpoint it!

At least with Insurance both sides know what they're dealing with... Insured items stay with you always, and your killer gets the gold. Non-insured items can be looted. End of story...

alexis7601, Kvow Triumvir and G Din like this.
  16. G Din

G Din Avatar

That has been exactly my point. At least with a Warzone you que for , you know the map and there is a game/goal (last man standing, capture the flag) and maybe a reward of some PvP Comms to spend for skins, dyes or something. This system has nothing but possible looting and Ear, 1 item, or getting some ransom? What?

No fun factor at all for a casual PvPer or a PvEer wanting to compete with a live opponent. You can have all the above, but maybe throw in some fun PvP options.

Pong was a PvP game folks.. its not brain surgery.

Ned888 likes this.
  17. redfish

redfish Avatar

The Oracle sounds like someone who came in to try to make the world fair for everyone, and who is being as conciliatory as possible about what "fair" means. A lot of players will hate her :)

18. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

yes I did read that they will try very hard to not let that happen, but why implement it anyway? I'm just not for it. I may just want to hit a pker with my pve sword and yes of course they will deserve it.;)

edited for clarification......I was talking about gear grinds happening due to pve/pvp separate equipment. I don't think we should have separate equipment.

19. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Freedom is a very relative thing.
    And I feel that mine is now very small.

20. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

They simply haven't discussed the various "warzones" they can put in the game. That doesn't mean there wont be goals and objectives with pvp in different areas of the game.

mitchellhamilton likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.