1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

PVP & Death: Current Thinking Megapost

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Wait a minute? Pong isn't brain surgery? Time to throw out that medical degree I got from Atari. My whole life is a lie! :p

This thread needed a little silliness.

2. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

You can try for something bigger but remember half the crowd is coming from full loot and a crime based system.

Tiggis likes this.
  3. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

Maybe so, but you couldn't loot your opponents paddle and leave em screwed for the rest of the game, either. ;)

4. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I can't think of a single MMO, I might be able to dig and find one on google, but no PvE MOB drops everything they are equipped with when you kill them.

5. G Din

G Din Avatar

??? I have to wait for another PvP concept talk ??

Its been almost a year...

6. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

I like it all except the vagueness of the looting and ransom system. I love being able to take a trophy body part and I love that when I'm playing PvE, monsters may loot me.

The trophies don't grow back? What happens when you run out of body parts :) jk

7. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Why would they give us concepts of battlegrounds? Do you want everything to be spoiled before you even get in the game?

Should they also give us their concepts for dungeons next too?

8. G Din

G Din Avatar

What are you talking about? If they were planning for some PvP warzones you could que for, don't you think they would have listed them already?

9. Kilhwch

Kilhwch Avatar

I would definitely return to a creature that killed me because
    A) I was probably doing something important there in the first place and
    B) revenge.

It would make sense they would loot players as well which would give an added incentive to return.

The only issues I see would be if another player kills the creature in the interim and gets your item; or if that creature or instance de-spawns for whatever reason and your item is unrecoverable.

10. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I'm not expecting a queue system, I'm expecting some world pvp with some goals/objectives.

11. Kambrius

Kambrius Avatar

I've mentioned this in two separate Dev + threads, so I'm pretty sure it will get ignored here as well, but why not have looting center around taking items like: gold, potions, consumables, maybe PVP enhancement stuff, jewelry (amulets, rings), resources, and a trophy body part with the option of taking one item (weapon or armor piece) and damaging the rest of the stuff for a random number of durability points or percentage?

I think being able to take those consumables will be a pro and con for the victor (more stuff vs. more encumbrance), give the appearance of open loot (more stuff to take but still one weapon or armor piece), will enable a repair based economy, will make the crafting of and economy surrounding consumables important and sustainable, offers the victor choices, and makes for a better compromise for those that want full loot vs. those that don't.

Other than that, I'm still leery of the distinction of PVP skills vs universal skills, but I think I understand what necessitates it.

12. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

Isn't that what this basically IS?

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

Great post, I like the direction SotA is going.

I do have one question, not sure if I misread part of the post. Are the pvp designated areas and hexes, going to be Free For All PvP, controlled only by guild politics, or will there be other controls in place?

cobran, Ned888 and mitchellhamilton like this.
  14. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I'm cool with that too. Either way. I'm good.

Ragnabrock and mitchellhamilton like this.
  15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

As Gracekain was kind enough to quote me. (I generally like being quoted ;) ) I am obviously not overly fond of ransom. While I'm not a hardcore PvPer I believe in risks and item lost is a natural risk to getting yourself killed.

I would also reiterate the point made earlier about insurance in UO trying to entice non-PvPers into PvP. It's precisely the sort of thing I've been saying for the past year about not being able change player behavior with gamey mechanics. People who don't want to PvP simply aren't going to. There's not a lot of point trying to entice them.

The people they should be targeting are people like me. I've never been a PvPer. I loathe getting killed... BUT if I'm given a purpose I may be willing to take the plunge now and then. I'm not no trying to speak for all non-PvPers here, but as someone willing to consider it for the right reasons I understand loss to be part of the risk of getting killed. At least some form of partial loot is acceptable.

Looting is one of those areas where you can't possibly make everyone happy. Don't try. Looting with rules no loot at all. But a system that doesn't do a good job making anyone happy isn't worth doing. People will either avoid high ransoms by not using their good stuff.. which defeats the purpose of encouraging people to use it.. or they'll ensure they always have money for loot and refuse to be looted at all.

16. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

No, not really. Because none of that means much. That's all very individual. As opposed to say capturing a tower or a mine as a group, over some opposing group, which gives benefits to some larger group, including those who don't participate directly in the combat.

So my guild mates and I capture a mine which gives our guild (or some larger faction) the ability to work that mine unmolested from PvP for some lockout (of say 4 hours). Working up the chain from this would be more meaningful things with longer lasting benefits. Such as a castle / town.

Vision OpenWorld, vjek and Akeashar like this.
  17. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

A queue is where on any map you press a button to jump in line to be teleported to a PvP map. You finish the warzone and get teleported out of the instance. It breaks immersion and comes across as PvP being artificial and separate from the rest of the game. What DS suggested is travelling to a normal map that has PvP rules enabled on that map. There is no queue or line for a warzone.

mitchellhamilton and Mishri like this.
  18. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

As far as I know, the only PvP enforced hexes will be the temporary hexes generated by a Volcano or Meteorite.

I suspect in this circumstances the hex will be dominated by the largest cooperative of PvP players, which yes, most likely will be Guild related.

I'm curious: What other controls were you interested in seeing ?

Phredicon, docdoom77 and Xandra7 like this.
  19. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

Yes I know. And I'm against the concept of a "battlefield" that is instanced, separate, and you wait in line for. I think what they are planning is more natural but has the same effect - many people will be rushing to those metorite/volcano events, whether it be for resources, for special quests or storylines, or just to prevent those people from getting to. Isn't THAT what they both said they wanted but felt wasn't in SotA?

20. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

If you think individuals will be getting those resources I think you are wrong. I think the people most likely and spending the most time gathering resources will be those acting together. Guilds, or just groups of people. like 1 big guild goes in and starts taking everything, everyone else can decide to attack only them. It can be dynamic and based on the players that enter the hex.

The objective/goals can be somewhat fluid for that reason in those resource hexes.

I'd also like to see some form of control point and siege style combat.. which they did touch on the siege combat briefly i believe.

Time Lord, Akeashar and Phredicon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.