PvP flagging fix

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Humbert_Humbert, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I just think its wrong that a person who is not flagged can flag on the fly off a person that is flagged, give total advantage to the non flagged person. It was fixed for one release, and you could not flag off a person for a bit and that was great, don't know why it went back.

Humbert_Humbert, Dhanas, Numa and 2 others like this.
  2. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I'm also not a fan of it, but as Solazur said PK will ambush you anyway.
    And...
    You get 10% more xp for taking a risk.
    There is not that big risk if it is not like that, because then you allways can run anyway if you see someone flagged.

Hornpipe and Mac2 like this.
  3. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

ya, that's a good point with being able to run away of you see a ? enter the zone. Its just the horrible part of someone being able to get all prepped up, stack a bunch of things and nothing you can do about it till they fire.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Stundorn like this.
  4. Sea Hunter

Sea Hunter Avatar

But is that not what you are after? The fight? I honestly do not understand why it is an issue. As I have said in other posts where pvp players were whining, no one forces you to flag up. Most of the guys who do flag up are super high gm's like you Mac. I mean no offense but cmon man, if you want the rush then don't get mad when someone attacks you. Honestly if they make it where only flagged players can attack each other then yall will whine that no one pvp's anymore. Whatever way they go there will be griping. You go to ANY game with pvp in it? And the forums are full of whining why the system don't work for one reason or another. People are never satisfied. Yall don't have to like what I say but it is true none the less. I would think it would be a rush to not ever know when you will be attacked. It keeps you on your toes :)

Gorthyn and Stundorn like this.
  5. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

I guess someone could set a trap doing this also - flag and fight some monsters and have some friends unflagged but hiding nearby — if someone tries to gank the flagged guy, they attack?

Stundorn likes this.
  6. Katu

Katu Avatar

Not in PvP yet, but still going to give my 2 cents.
    In UO ( that lots of here use as comparison ), if you were in pvp area, you could not trust anyone. Any blue could attack you at anytime ( Thus, flagging him ) and reds ( always flagged ) usually attacked right away. This seems to be quite exactly the case we have here and I see no problems with that. You just have to be cautious in a dangerous world. Don't mess with the fire, if you can't stand the heat.

Stundorn likes this.
  7. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

My only issue with that is when I get backstabbed by someone who is wearing a white shroud. It just sounds completely wrong. I mean : that courageous guy who compassionately decided to kill me when cultists or kobolds are in a fight with me and who has the honesty to claim his due. The one true Avatar :D

Ahuaeynjgkxs, Echondas, Thwip and 2 others like this.
  8. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

But I'm not worried about me, I am very aware of my surroundings when I am flagged. I am talking about for everyone.

9. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Now I never played UO, but was there not other consequences as well if you did attack an innocent player or something? I'm not sure, just from what others have told me.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

If you killed another blue player then it would drop your karma (originally reputation) score so low that you would turn red. Red players were fair game for any blue player to attack without consequence. You generally knew who would attack you by their color.

Bankee, Thwip, Numa and 2 others like this.
  11. Katu

Katu Avatar

It took 5 kills to turn red and being 40h in game time to clear one kill away, so you would turn blue again. When AOS came and the champions to felucca, you could not trust anyone but your friends.

EDIT: and Karma and reputation were not related to being red or blue, but to your alignment. Atleast in AOS-> ( and those only had impact on you if you were paladin or necromancer )

Barugon likes this.
  12. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Just make it auto-clear thier buffs and deck when they flag

Except food/devotionals

They get the element of surprise, you get the advantage of potentially already being buffed

Im not 100% on the story behind the oracle but flagging pvp, she says it is removing her protection from yourself. As in there is nothing initially preventing you from attacking avatars except your targets protection. Once thier protection is gone, it makes sense based on that dialogue that anyone can attack them

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Ahuaeynjgkxs, Mac2 and Dhanas like this.
  13. Humbert_Humbert

Humbert_Humbert Avatar

Just give us magic reflect so we get an actual fight rather than someone with everything stacked ambushing and killing me instantly.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Mac2 like this.
  14. Thwip

Thwip Avatar

^^^This.

15. Echondas

Also - it would stop that player from entering towns, or anywhere with guards, as the guards would insta-kill them.. and IIRC, there was a bounty system, so if you chopped their body and took their head and turned it in, you would get a reward. Chopping bodies eventually had karma lowering added tho, since the towns' banks were literally full of chopped up bodies of thieves trying to pickpocket, and the devs wanted to clean up the mess a bit I think :)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Thwip, Bankee, Barugon and 1 other person like this.
  16. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Now this is the difference. See right now, an unflagged person can flag on you with stack abilities, after killing you, go unflag and come back to do it again. I know people that have done exactly that too, just because they know the advantage it gives them. Now you add in some kind of repercussions for acts like this and then its a different story.

Dhanas, Numa, Thwip and 1 other person like this.
  17. Echondas

The 40 hours thing tho, people would just hide in a locked house and macro moving around, to stop the game from timing them out and that 40 hours had to be 'active' not just standing still.. "Good guys" would like to roam around looking for a red guy doing that AFK, and try to find ways to kill him through the walls of their house - often resulting in angry red guys complaining they were murdered while macroing away their penalty :)

Great ideas- but people always found ways to game the system.

Stundorn, Bankee and Mac2 like this.
  18. Sea Hunter

Sea Hunter Avatar

I think, at least to me if you flag for pvp you know the consequences that can happen. So in my eyes if you already know the consequences of what could happen, then you are saying you are OK with that possibility that you may be attacked by anyone. Which again in my eyes pretty much invalidates any complaints as to what is fair or not. You made the decision the moment you flagged for pvp.
    Again I am not looking to argue with anyone, and certainly mean no disrespect to anyone. You know the risks. So either flag or don't. It really is that simple. To be honest if I had it my way we would all be attack-able by everyone without a flag. And those who kill would eventually go perma red like the old days. And when killed if you were red lost serious experience and levels to skills.

Stundorn likes this.
  19. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

it is clearly a problem that the PLAYERS agree is something wrong.

some developers just laugh at it but when more players than not have an issue, then it IS an issue.

It is simple player who do PvP or PK or Defend against PvPer or just hunt PvP players have a distinct advantage (period)

That is the problem the advantage , a player flagged PvP knows the risks that is NOT the issue.

The problem has been clearly explained by more than one player.

It is simply this, it results in a gank!

Players can sit hidden / unflagged / buff up / any other many things to get an edge, and the most is wait for PvP player to get into a fight and THEN when the chips are down jump onto the Unknowing PvP player and take them out.

All the "You Know what you are getting into", "stay ready" , or anything else does nothing to prevent the problem.

BTW ITYS.

Mac2 and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  20. eli

eli Avatar

The OP's problem is legit, but his solution is also a problem to me. If i'm the only flagged person in a zone of 10 people unflagged, I want one of them to be able to decide "You know what, i feel like pvp too!" I don't want them to be zoned away for flagging.

My problem with flagging is that when you're doing pve and no one in your party can res you, because they don't even get prompted to flag for pvp to attempt unless some very specific and frustrating camera rules are observed.

The actual solution to both of these problems is to make pvp flagging AND unflagging available in the UI menu somewhere, and add a "stand still for 10 seconds" constraint like logging out.

Numa and Mac2 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.