Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

PvP flagging XP boost is messing up PvE healing

Discussion in 'Release 36 Feedback Forum' started by Scanphor, Nov 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

One consequence of the PvP flag XP boost that is hopefully unintended (or I'll need to go find another game) is the impact on PvE-only healers.

As you are unable to heal a PvP flagged person without flagging yourself, the upshot of this bonus is that when doing PvE content as a healer you have 3 choices :

1. PvP flag yourself - not happening - I've had enough of PvE content in games being gated behind PvP (Cough ArcheAge Cough);

2. Insist all the group unflag and give up on their bonus (bad feeling all round);

3. Stay home.

Could you please find a way to encourage PvP play in a game in which its supposed to be entirely optional without messing up my PvE playstyle ??? As a DPS toon you can make that decision for yourself, as a healer you can't.

I could think of a number of solutions - but maybe the best way would be to change it from 'you can't heal PvP flagged characters' to 'you can't heal a player who's actively in a PvP fight' ?

2. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

As long as it doesn't impact on those who choose a PvE game style I'm happy for PvPers to have all the fun they want. :)

Vaiden Luro, Matt Harris and Womby like this.
  3. Elfenwahn

Elfenwahn Avatar

I suggest that they allow you to heal a PvP flagged player without flagging. With one constraint: the PvP player was not involved in PvP (received or inflicted damage) the last 10 minutes. This way he can enjoy PvE without dragging everyone else into PvP.

Btw, I like the idea of having the XP Bonus for PvP.

4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

You forgot option #4: Just don't heal them. Problem solved.

Gaelis, Vaiden Luro, Chatele and 6 others like this.
  5. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Why not just automatically fail on healing a PVP flagged person when you are PVE? Like you heal your group, and all the PVP flagged people just receive no heals from PVE flagged healers.

Vaiden Luro, Oninoshiko and Womby like this.
  6. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

This +2

Duke Avery and Jivalax Azon like this.
  7. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Trouble with not healing them is you can't fill the role of healer in a PvE group that way - its like a DPS character not being able to hit the targets unless they flag

Vaiden Luro and Jivalax Azon like this.
  8. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Not really your problem though... but there is no good solution.. got one?

Numa likes this.
  9. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

I suggested one in my OP :p

10. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Sorry guy, but you'll get no sympathy from me.
    You run with a group of "fighters" who are flagg'd PvP and are receiving extra xp's for doing so. Now you want to be able to heal them while you're safely not flagg'd as well.
    Most of us ( yes I said most of us, because those who choose not to PvP are in the very serious majority ) - most of us are very angry with Port for giving you PvP guys a 25% boost to kill the same stuff I do.

So, whine away about your "predicament" - I could care less.

Vaiden Luro, Chatele, GrayFog and 4 others like this.
  11. Knightguy

Knightguy Avatar

This is a tricky situation. The issue is one person is flagging PvP, but the bonus is to PvE. You have the right to play PvE only, i also prefer PvE to PvP most of the time. Healing PvP players as a PvE player immune to PvP leaves it open to instance for abuse, as you and others have touched upon. I think your suggestion is a good one, allowing you to heal PvP players not in PvP combat.

That said, I think the whole buff is silly. If they really want to encourage PvP, the buff should reflect that and it should be effective in PvP arenas. If the point of the buff is to get people to PvP, then the flag should only work in PvP instances, and those instances should be retuned so that the monsters in them are easier to fight for higher worthwhile experience rewards, not to use the bonus for PvE anywhere, and in most cases avoiding PvP altogether. The point should be to entice players into the PvP zones to PvP, not to PvE. The whole bonus to experience to get you to flag seems counter to PvP play and should be changed, but then again PvP needs work in general IMO. But that's just my 2 cents.

Jivalax Azon and Scanphor like this.
  12. Numa

Numa Avatar

Any PvE group grinding for experience with some members flagged for PvP solely for the EXP bonus is asking for trouble What is your party going to do when a band of real PvP players crash your party and start slaughtering your team ?

It's either all are unflagged or all are flagged- and ready for trouble.

13. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Exactly.
    Non flagged healers healing pvp is outa the question. thats simply off balance and abuseable.
    Having a timer and such causes other problems.
    Another pvp group coming at you guys? quick all the healers mass buff and heal over time the pvp flagged guys.
    Hows that work?
    Honestly if your group wants you as a healer and you dont want to risk pvp, they should all unflag.
    Its instant and no timer on it.

There might be better solutions but, the bonuse regardless of how you feel was to offset the loss of exp a little for the scrapping all the time and sharing mobs, larger mmo pressnce.. not to increase the exp able to be pulled overall for groups that would be farming anyways.

Flag or no flag. Shouldnt be more complicated then that.

Gaelis, GreyMouser Skye and Numa like this.
  14. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Yeah... and the bonus is for PVP types, not PVE'rs pretending (it is meant as an incentive, not a way for fast gains for PVE). :) No offense intended.. just flag and join the party already!

MrBlight, uhop and Numa like this.
  15. Elfenwahn

Elfenwahn Avatar

No.

I already tried to flag for PvP a year ago.
    But this issue prevented me from further investigating the PvP features of this game.

I play with 95 % PvE players. Thus, with the current design its either "unflag and forget about PvP forever" or "play alone".

Thus, I request again:

Please, implement a "active PvP" timer.

Scanphor likes this.
  16. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Isnt it ... kinda easy to flick on? Almost every town and every POT has an oracle.. instead of a timer, its a simple conversation in play?

17. Elfenwahn

Elfenwahn Avatar

Yes, changing is easy.

But as I always play with friends in multiplayer, I always have to stay Non-PvP to be able to play with them.

18. Womby

Womby Avatar

I like this idea. I like it a lot. (Or at least make it a game options choice.)

I already don't party with anyone who is flagged PVP, because I don't want to accidentally flag myself through a careless heal. If more people flag for the XP bonus, I'll just remain in SPO and stay out of multiplayer altogether.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
    Black Tortoise and Vaiden Luro like this.
  19. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

if you uncheck the boxes to get the prompts, you'll never accidentally flag. it'll just fail.

Black Tortoise and Spoon like this.
  20. Womby

Womby Avatar

Thanks. I did not know there was a prompt. I'll investigate further.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.