Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

PVP MINE PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Release 44 Feedback Forum' started by Bryweyh, Aug 15, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

I more or less agree with you. There DOES need to me more goal orentated things for PvP. Make a capture-the-castle type area. I'm sure people more creative them myself can come up with others, but that's a good idea for PvP.

I like the suggestion of an indicator that a PvP zone is occupied. Puttin something like the windows in towns (maybe campfire smoke rising up?) so you can see when others are in the PvP zones seems like a great idea. Could even be applied to PvE zones.

What there doesn't need to be (and I think we're in agreement here) is more areas that serve no function other then to try to tempt people who aren't interested in PvP into it. It's been tried, it's been a failure. Repeating it is just a waste of resources.

I suggest you grow up and realize you don't get to force your play on everyone else. PvP is optional, that's always been part of the plan. You knew that comming in, because they said that from the beginning. If you don't like playing with the playerbase here, I'm sure you can find your way out.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    FrostII and Elwyn like this.
  2. Gix

Gix Avatar

Exactly. They need to abuse the overworld so that we can take advantage of all of the cool things the game could offer us. Imagine seeing confetti on top of a zone showcasing that a ton of people are "/dance"-ing... tiny explosions or dusty smoke whenever PvP was going on; maybe see two flags whenever guilds would engage in combat. Tons of tiny fishing rods sprouting from the town whenever there's a lot of people fishing at a particular area. We need features that say "Hey! Stuff is happening HERE! Join us!"

Heck, at this point, I'd settle for giant placeholder text under the zone's name.

Yep; I completely agree.

Tiina Onir and Elwyn like this.
  3. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Or maybe do something like in many other MMOs.
    In PVP you accumulate a special currency (pvp only) and with that currency you can buy special stuff/gear/things for pvp only.

In Arenas, Battlegrounds or special PVP scenarios you get more of that currency.
    Also there should be different kind of pvp only shops for each Arena/Battleground.

Then there has to be some form of Zone/Area/Region Control for PVP which gives the guild a bonus in PVP if controlled by that guild.
    Maybe even add a skill/level system for Guilds.

Achievement system for PVP for titles and other things (would be also great for PVE).

And a lot of other things ,there are plenty of good examples out there in various MMOs.

PVP needs a purpose to do which it currently doesn't.
    Add fancy, cool stuff you only can acquire in PVP, but which isn't needed in PVE and you will even get non PVP players sometimes into PVP.

As it is now, i see no reason to go into PVP, even if they would add PVP zones with more resources or special resources, that's just simply not enough. Even if they would add now an mine which has twice as much Ore Nodes in it as any other mine, i wouldn't bother to go in there.
    Also forcing PVE players with normal quests into PVP is just lame.

Again, plenty of good examples are out there in the MMO world.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  4. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

Haven't you heard? Every mine is PVP, every zone is PVP. All you have to do is flag yourself and go.

Oh,what you want is a dedicated mine? Like all the other "dedicated" PVP zones that are pretty much empty? That most folks that PVP are not even interested in going to? Yea,that would be a good use of the development teams time. o_O:rolleyes:

FrostII likes this.
  5. Gix

Gix Avatar

My beef with something like that is that when you segregate gear with labels like PvE and PvP, you segregate the player-base too and you limit what each player can do. World of Warcraft was a much better open-world PvP game when it didn't have "resilience" and "penetration" as stats... Blizzard did it because people who raided PvE bosses would have insanely powerful equipment... but SotA doesn't have that problem as the best gear is theoretically crafted.

I'd very much like to use my skills and equipment for PvP to be viable in PvE.

I think the best system I've seen was in Warhammer Online: PvErs would help the war efforts by gaining "points" for completing quests and killing raid bosses, and the PvPers (with those points + the ones they'd accumulate themselves) would unlock more territories which, in turn, gave the PvErs access to more raids. Both had reasons to participate and they'd both encourage each other in their respective activities.

Tiina Onir likes this.
  6. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

Another pork chop around the neck of the ugly PvP child. I agree that improving the existing regions probably has the best ROI at the moment. It would take more than that to draw me personally into PVP. ESO was my last PVP experience and aside from the ever present user cheating which is what drove me away from ESO, they did a pretty good job of making PVP attractive IMO.

Gix likes this.
  7. redfish

redfish Avatar

Seriously, though... an underground shardfall might be interesting not just as a PvP space but also as a scene from a worldbuilding perspective...

8. Malimn

Malimn Avatar

School will be in session soon and your time in game will be reduced because of this..

I have been both a PVP and NON PVP player since UO Beta and it is statements like the one you posted above that gives PVP a bad name... Next thing you would want in game is tea-bagging I guess.

FrostII likes this.
  9. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

People keep referencing UO's PvP in relation to SotA's PvP. Well, UO had one particular thing that SotA still does not. There is no penalty for going around ganking people. In UO, (as I understand it) your name would go red, and you became fair game for everybody else to beat on. In SotA, not only do you not get that, there's not even a virtue penalty for going around jumping and killing people minding their own business.

@Chris is big on having monster spawns placed as a deterrence to people from mining all day with no challenge, and I think the same philosophy should apply to PvP ganking of other players. The fact that PvP is "optional" (except where it isn't) is no excuse for not having virtue/red name consequences, it is merely what keeps them from being absolutely necessary yet.

Until something is done about that, PvP is not even something I would consider turning on.

The only other PvP thing I hear about happening (other than just cruising around the PvP zones as a party to farm XP, and I don't even hear of that lately) is tournaments, and they can be better done using the Duel system. This works better than the PvP flag, because it avoids splash damage to the audience, keeps the audience from interfering, etc. And you don't even need to run to an Oracle to turn it on and off.

Well, to be fair, all mines (except maybe one, I've heard?) are forced party/solo, so there's not really an option for that unless you all go into a mine as a party and then break up the party and PvP your brains out.

True. I was also thinking it would be pretty cool to have a PvP shardfall mine area, but for various reasons I just mentioned, I would not participate. Sure, I would go tourist on it during QA, but no more than that.

At this point, so many resources have already been put into PvP that it needs to be set aside to get the damn game officially released already. Single-player mode does not need a new PvP area, and one more forced-PvP area is not going to enhance the experience anywhere near enough to justify the effort.

Now pardon me while I step over this vaguely horse-shaped pile of goo.

10. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

My personal opinion is you are not getting what PVPers really want. They all don't want to be in the same zone at once. If they did,it's easy to schedule an event and post it on the forums which is an open call to all PVP players, be at _____________ on ______ at_____. I am not talking about PVP tournaments,I am talking about inviting all PVP players into a zone,no rules just PVP.
    The reason most PVP players do not want that,they want a way to draw PVE players who do not want to nor have a desire to PVP,have no experience doing so,thus making them easy picking to kill,loot over and over until they are left without anything in their inventory and zero gear on their avatar. How do I know this,two reasons.
    1. I have seen it in the past happen to people in Owl's Head at first,then in other zones.
    2. Some PVP players have told me if they can get 100% loot by killing and ganking over and over,they will do it,but want 100% loot after 1 kill.

I cannot tell you how many times in another game I play I have had to go bail out a guildie who was being killed over and over because he had his body camped and rez point camped also.
    So usually I see a new thread about PVP,chuckle to myself and say. "Well here we go again" because there have to be umpteen thousand thread sabout PVP,usually all dealing with the exact same thing,but someone thinking their new idea is better than anyone's and want a new thread to voice it. I get it,there are tons of us who care about PVE who do it.
    So take my suggestion to heart,schedule a PVP event in a PVP zone and you all can kill and loot to your hearts desire. Just don't expect the easy pickings to come join or watch,so then,let's see who "REALLY" wants to fight other PVP players. :):)

FrostII likes this.
  11. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Oh, I know what the gankers want. I know why they want it. They aren't going to get it. The only real option they're going to get they already have: offer to "help" new players, drag them into a PvP zone, and gank them. The reality is, the players who want that everywhere are a minority: none of the PvEers want that (duh) and I don't even think all the PvPers do (Hell, I doubt the majority of PvPers even want that). Whenever one of these threads comes up, I post in favor of the ideas that could give more opportunity for the PvPers to do their thing without adversely affecting the PvEers. Things like "capture the castle" do that, particularly paired with zone or global announcements. (Ideally on an separate "announcements" channel, so you only get the spam if you care)

The problem is, this particular idea doesn't really help PvP, UNLESS (and maybe I wasn't clear on this) you consider "good" PvP to be ganking noobs.

Elwyn and Frederick Glasgow like this.
  12. Bryweyh

Bryweyh Avatar

Thanks for adding some input to this thread guys, I will say it has been great to hear other inputs as well and seeing as my idea wasn't great it was a start lol...

the main thing that I think a lot of us like, is the idea to somehow see if a scene is populated with pvp.. Would this solve everthing, no, but it would be a big step into finding zones worth entering instead of loading into an empty scene. Similar to friends list, maybe those that choose to participate in pvp should see a list of others willing to pvp and their current scene location but even I don't feel to confident that people will want to share that info with everyone else that has their pvp flag on.

Oh and one last thought, what are your thoughts on chat message/ notifications when someone gets pked in case people are nearby and want to jump in and stack up some corpses.

SOOO many things to consider but there always seems to be flaws in many ideas....

Again thanks for your input and for not killing me just yet lol

13. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

What would be ideal would be guild wars with rules of engagement for pvp. The guild wars would have to be different than what is currently in game. First of all you would only be at war with the guild you war, and its allies. Second you would not be flagged open world pvp. Third you set the rules of engagement at the time of the declaration of war. For example there could be a toggle that would say: No loot, partial loot, full loot. Also this system would give guild leaders to talk to each other when they decide to war and decide on the looting rights themselves, possibly on an honor system. Maybe there could be some kind of guild item that could be looted off of the person that you could redeem for awards, possibly gold, ore, leather, or whatnot. This system would allow new guilds to test the waters and pvp without loss in the guild wars. This system would allow full loot for the veteran hard core players. I have brought this up before many times and maybe its just not what people want here, but I still feel its a very valuable idea. Sorry if I derailed the thread.

14. Bryweyh

Bryweyh Avatar

Not a bad idea, but I'm also not familiar with GW gameplay. I recall also "queuing" up for pvp or pve events in Neverwinter Nights but it was based on gear scores and party size. Perhaps having and an option to do the same but only for quick battles/ duels where nothing is gained or lost except for bragging right, score system, and/or exp reward. However I wouldn't want this to take away from open world pvp but merely entertain those that are not so confident in their skills. This could prompt choices between CTF and other objective games.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  15. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

thank you for responding. Of course this is just a rough idea and it could be just used as a talking point or discussion. I feel it would be an entry way for people to gain footing in pvp and ultimately lead to more open world pvp. Again, thanks for the response sir :).

Bryweyh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.