PVP - The solution is in front of us

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Antrax Artek, Dec 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Adam Crow What great PvE zones have great loot and xp that PvP'rs can't go to ??

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  2. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

I do not plan to post here much in the future but I feel a need to show another perspective of PVP as it happened yesterday in Blood Bay.

The good part: @CatherineRose did a tremendous job to put together the Black Sails Story that led to this encounter and it was a useful test of GM powers. I am sure the intent of the major guilds involved was to have a good time as well.

The bad part: Whomever decided to make up the Obsidian Side vs The Pirates sure got the math wrong and I mean dead wrong. I do not know who was fighting on the castle side but there were 3 to 4 of us near the ships on the Pirate side and we kept getting pummeled over and over by two of @Antrax Artek army. I am sure one had a great time padding his kill count off of us with one shots most of the time. Now it may be fun for those ganking away at inexperienced PVPers and I get it but if you want to foster PVP this is the wrong way to go about it. As for me, I am no longer interested in large scale PVP battles for this reason and the lack of raid groups for these type of events. I am done with it and RP altogether.

I can say this though; I started this entire RP/PVP idea with Catherine and which led to the famous battle of Dragomir on 3 December 2017. At least then we had people on both sides that showed respect for each other and for the cause we were trying to foster. We were successful in the battles of New Heaven, Dragomir part II and Luna City. We won some , we lost some that did not matter, what mattered is we brought large scale conflict to Novia and many friendships were formed along the way.

To the rest of the Black Sails group: Push forward and continue its tradition. Push for Raid groups and maybe @Chris will listen to you. For you large guilds that enjoy PVP, have fun as I see two clear choices here. Be part of the problem like yesterday or be part of the solution. Every one you gank over and over is one less person who will be part of PVP until you end up bored with just fighting each other. If you cannot control your people then either you are a poor leader or don't care.

That is all from the Ex-Pirate and ex Rper. Fair Winds and Following Seas to all of you.

R/Boris

Anpu and Spinok like this.
  3. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

All games have the best stuff in pvp zones ... no pain no gain .

4. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I disagree with this game design and still believe that "Crafters" should create the best gear AND NOT through rare resources only found in PvP zones...

Of course if they designed the game where you could loot me of everything AND when I rez, I still had all my stuff, then that would be an interesting proposition... With the exception of Gold, that's still off limits, but my gear you can have all of it... It's not like you're going to keep any of it, probably scrap most of it, I don't see it being a problem... BUT, of course you'll argue "Risk v Reward", How could I not risk anything and have fun? Well, do you want me to enter PvP zones or not?

When I rez, boot me out of the scene for a day (game day), let me go on my merry way, no harm, no foul... You have all my stuff, so what... So do I, win, win...

Barugon likes this.
  5. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Do that here, and the end is near.

Scanphor and SmokerKGB like this.
  6. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Not only near, but I would quit the day of its implementation...

Cyin and FrostII like this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

So exploitable....

Violet Ronso and FrostII like this.
  8. Trinity

Trinity Avatar

Well said...

However... remember @Boris Mondragon :

"You only fail when you stop trying."
    Albert Einstein

"I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
    Thomas Edison

CatherineRose and FrostII like this.
  9. Restless

Restless Avatar

I am glad to hear your point of view. Mine sure is different. What I saw was a disorganized, chaotic event. At the beginning, I had no idea what was going on.

I heard that people were supposed to go dance somewhere then the pvp began and there is no way to tell who is who other than red names and blue names. I'm sure you can agree pvp is very confusing and when someone comes after you, the natural reaction is not to run. Then there was someone playing with game speed who had no story or reasoning behind it. It was a random use of GM power left and right.

This did not add to the event, it made it frustrating sitting at an ankh waiting to be ressed for 2 min after a fire dot and chaotic feedback did not slow down and were not affected like most others. For the fast part, melee just ran around like they had chaotic feedback. Anyone with an inherent stun in their skills completely owned their area.

Then a dragon was spawned, again without any story or RP behind it.

I see this as the perfect reason players should not have GM power. It is used randomly and frustrates many. This could make for the downfall of player run events.

10. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

If i had a penny..

I been playing this game for a long time ...seen alot of players making huge posts about quitting...tears..goodbyes ..and few months later theyre back in the game like nothing happened ...anyway as far as im concerned ,if they add best stuff in pvp zones might be the only way to convince me to pvp ... If im risking my bacon i want to be rewarded .

A quick way would be...add new ore to pvp zones..if you get killed you drop the ore you mined in pvp area ...nothing else lost ....another way....all resources gathered in pvp zones are dropped as loot if you get killed.

- Teleport scrolls double time when used in pvp area ( being hit interrupts teleporting)
    - Logging out leaves character ingame for 1 min in pvp area
    - Fastest way to exit ( instant ) is via map designated exits.

Resources from nodes will also need to yield 3-4 times more resources then in a pve area.

11. Trinity

Trinity Avatar

@Restless I guess that means you did not read the pre-event posts in the forum.
    There were detailed instructions on how the event was to be done several times prior to the event.

The GM was not part of the event but done by someone other than the organizer and was done at the request of the Devs to test the GM in a POT.

If you had joined the voice chat for the event you would have heard why/what/when things were occurring. The event was to test the no loot PVP, test the GM (activated for the event), and to complete a small part of the RP story in Black Sails - New Dawn.

I'm sorry you did not enjoy the event but it was a test for many things.

12. Gageman

Gageman Avatar

Exactly my point . Take Boris here, He was an aspiring PVP convert and really looking forward to expanding his horizons , until the usual folks decided to abuse his inexperience for the sake of why anyone picks on someone weaker than themselves. End result, one less PVP player. Maybe one less Sota player. Well played guys. Talking about eating your own young, lol. Can we please get some more long posts about how no one is PVPing because there isnt any good stuff in the PVP zones?

Boris Mondragon and Bedawyn like this.
  13. Restless

Restless Avatar

No I've only heard news through the grapevine. Perhaps at the beginning of an event there should be explanation instead of assumption. This random use of GM power makes the game feel as if it is in Alpha still with people running around testing things. SOTA is persistent now and tests should at least be announced in game in the zone they are happening.

14. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Sure it how it should work, but seems here in Sota need some kind of compromise.
    As my point of view is almost same as Elrond on this. But I think there is a solution which will fit to most players, smth like this:
    PVP only scenes, all items which are on the avatar and in inventory cant drop (no ransom at all) BUT all items(Loot from mobs(Include BC ore or lumber looted by gathering) and gold which was looted in the zone will be full loot(not only by players by but NPC Boss type creature too), with this drop rates should be higher than in any pve zone. I think smth like this will be great mechanics. Guys like you will never lose what they had when they come there, guys like pvp players will finally have a solid reason to go and fight there. As well PVP-only gear should be crafted only in PVP zone.(I heard PVP-only gear can be a good part of reward in pvp zone)

15. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

Thinking that an event participant should instead of playing and have fun spend his time managing countless people by imposing rules during a kills competition sounds really absurd.
    We are grown people and everyone is responsible for his actions, we asked for party raid from months/years and try to bring together the faults of a malfunctioning design to a person seems to me reductive and petty, without actually knowing even the efforts and time spent in the party chat to try to limit the problem.

The real issues of the event were:

-The friendly fire cause lack of party of party/factions.
    -Lack of protection when people are just ressed and close to an ankh, should not be possible attacking and get attacked in the Ankh radius (easy fix considering that when i'm close to a vendor/npc i can't cast skills), chaos ankhs were missing too in the event spot.
    -Lack of sides organization, the mentioned "leader" organized a perfect 8 people party to partecipate to the event, I was not asked by anyone to organize even the enemy and allied ranks.
    -Random slow-mo/fast forward use, it would have been right to stop time in certain situations but not slowing or speeding it.
    -Lack of npc monsters, GM powers should have the goal to spawn creatures to balance sides if there are not enough people.
    -Lack of reason and goals if not the one to be the 1st in kills count, ask yourself why the person everyone is talking about kept killing everyone wildly. In New Heaven i gave goals without having any kind of GM power so people didn't compete for kills but they had a reason ro fight.

Before making assumption, I advise you to observe the situation objectively and do not give vent to nervousness for being dead several times.

About the PVP zones topic (the reason this thread was opened):

A pvper who plays just in pvp zones is over punished for doing it while a pver who wants to play just in pve zones is extremely incentive.
    @Spinok 's idea sounds good but if rates in the pvp zones stay the same as now it will still be better farming in tier 3 zones.

People keep saying if you do this I leave the game, if you do the other I leave the game without realizing how many hundreds of people have already left due to stupid vetoes that only bring harm to the project.

If the situation will remain so and no measures will be taken to make the game in the PVPers gameplay and rewards comparable to PVErs gameplay i'll probably leave, and with me countless people tired to still read such things after years while those who still pronounce them do not realize that they are the cause of the population numbers of sota.

I still can't believe, that because of the will/cry of few people that you can count on the fingers of one hand the pvp zones are still the worst areas of the game.

16. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

I agree with you on the fact that the battle part was not organized properly. In the previous ones (Battle of Dragomir I, New Heaven, Dragomir II and Luna City) I was directly involved in contacting Antrax Army, House of Mangar, Shadow People and we actually used a large chat group to ensure we had a somewhat even division of power. There were no major complaints in those four battles except for the common one which was party size limitation which caused friendly fire, and discontent. Had I known a handful of non-experienced PVPers except for a few not near the ships I would have contacted @Spinok and asked him to brings the Shadow People over to help the pirates. Rest assured it would have been a more even matchup.

Bottom line is this: Those experienced PVP and PVP guilds need to reach out and take the novices that wish to be part of this large scale fighting under their wing. I talked to @Antrax Artek at length after the battle, I consider him a friend and let him know my observations. What is done is done. We can either fix the problem or continue being a problem. I also hope they do the GM power thing for other trusted individuals here as part of a PVE event as well much like the series of events held by Cerus of Travian Games. Its a rocky beginning and I just want to point out what I see can be fixed. The future of large scale PVE/PVP events and SOTA is at stake here. This is the end game for both PVE nnd PVP. There is no reason to grind a character, equip it just to kill the next boss in the next dungeon that Catnip comes up with.

I have had my offers to be taught how to PVP myself both from @Antrax and @Mangar. They seem to be willing to help those that want to be taught. I may someday do that but the thought of spending 100s of dollars just to equip someone seems not only out of my reach but out of reason. This concept only shows the flaws in the disparity of skills that should be fixed. You claim to be a level 124 who due to experience/build/deck can beat a level 135, To me a good battle is one in a place where all skills and skill level is set to 100 and skill trees are balanced. My point of view only, some may differ in opinion and I will respect yours and others who differ from mine. I am no novice at this large battle planning. Did plenty of it in UO Chessie with 20 on 20 battles every other week.

R/Boris

Gageman and Violet Ronso like this.
  17. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I think you meant "Exploitable"; How so? If all the stuff is duped and one part is sold to NPC for gold or scrapped, I don't see the problem... It's stolen loot, so maybe normal NPCs won't buy it and only "Black market" NPCs give you 10 cent on the dollar, scrapping makes more sense...

You are trying to entice me to go into PvP zones, right? To be "fadl" for you, right? Well, it ain't going to happen anytime soon with these ideas... My hard labor won't be exploited by you, besides I think they tried these: only gathered items can be looted... They came up with "ranson" instead, if I remember correctly... I think there is already higher yields for resource node in PvP, but fewer nodes, so what's up with that? AND they put "plants" that can kill you from miles away....

I still won't be enticed into PvP zones, but I will complain to high heaven for change: if rare ore is added, I may not quit over it, but I stull won't be enticed into PvP, sorry...

Sorry, I won't be exploited... My labor counts for me, I won't partake in PvP at all if this comes into game, same as now....

Guys think of something else...

Boris Mondragon and Gageman like this.
  18. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Nope i was posting what would convince me to go into a pvp zone . You should do the same... if you dont care about going into a pvp zone or theres nothing that can motivate you to go there ..you dont belong in this thread ...if you did post what would convince you to go into pvp zones more often...sorry didnt see it .

The yield is crap ... if i pull 100 silver ore /hour in elysium .... the only way id go mine in a pvp zone is if id pull 500 silver ore/hour ...not 150 , not 200....the higher the reward the more people will take a chance and go there .

19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yes... bloody phone....
    Do I really need to explain how duplicating items is exploitable?

20. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I mean, Elrond could make his master weapons, those he sells for 2m, go in a PvP zone with an alt or a friend, and dupe that gear big time... sure, the gear will be less valuable after a bit, but it still is injecting OP gear without cost... pretty easy to see how it is exploitable

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.