PvP Zones

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by airroncam, Sep 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Uhm... because I read the OP?

If you ever want to harvest in a PVP zone, I will accompany you and protect you so you can experience just how average the harvest is. The risk/reward in a PVP scene needs to be more appropriately balanced. If you're unwilling or unable to take the risk of PVP.... don't. You can go anywhere else in the game and harvest the same resources.

Which is WHY the OP is asking for better resources in PVP zones.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    airroncam likes this.
  2. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

can you imagine how many players dont play SotA cause the PvP is few supported and undeveloped ?

airroncam and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  3. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I know a few hundred guys that won't play SotA because PVP isn't ready yet... my entire Star Citizen org.

Abydos and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  4. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Same **** here, my guild dont wanna play SotA with this actual pvP.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  5. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

And by adding resources to a PVP only area, they are going to play?

No, they won't because they want more then resources In a PVP exclusive zones. If they are like me, they want more out of PVP then just that. I want PVP in the game not just in those specific scenes that others won't go to. But I want PVP in the game to enhance the game for all not at the expense of others that will not go to PVP only zones. I want to see PVP in the game where everyone can participate in some element of it even if they are not out to Kill/Be killed by other players. If they could incorperate that then they would truly have a great game .

6. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

I know hundreds of people - personally or about my homepage - who won't play SotA because the story isn't ready yet. I always say they shall be patient, this game is still in early access ;)

Abydos likes this.
  7. Womby

Womby Avatar

I really shouldn't post because I don't PVP, but then I really shouldn't eat junk food because it's unhealthy, and that doesn't stop me, so here goes:

Imagine a naked avatar sitting on the ground, contemplating. Weighing on his shoulders are the hopes, aspirations (and wagers) of all the people from his region. He casts his mind back to the close victory he had over other contestants from the Perennial Coast, and the pride he felt in being chosen to represent his region in the monthly Britannian Olympics.

He stares once more at the cold, uncaring walls that surround him, at the locked door that is keeping him imprisoned, and glances up at the crowds of spectators gathered in groups on the walkways above.

Suddenly the door flings open and he springs to his feet. In a moment he has rushed through the door and finds himself in another chamber. Scattered throughout the chamber he can see copious harvestable resources - ore nodes, cotton plants, mandrake, garlic, etc. More than he could possibly need. Placed along the walls he can see every type of expert crafting station. Should he take the time to craft the best weapon and suit of armour possible, or should he save time by compromising? Do the perils ahead favour ranged or melee weapons? He glances up at the walkway above and immediately spots his coach Erik. It isn't hard to find him as he is wearing a bright pink outfit. Erik is doing the gypsy dance, a signal that the perils ahead favour a melee build.Quickly he crafts a two handed sword and a set of plate armour using the stations provided. He then exits through the only other door to the next area, and hears the one-way door click solidly shut behind him. He hopes that he hasn't forgotten anything. The crowds watching from the walkways above above hurry to keep up.

He finds himself in a short hallway, and follows it to a door that leads into the next room. The door has a small viewing panel so he slides it open to see what he faces. Inside he can see a troll pacing up and down.

The avatar buffs and starts stacking glyphs. Suddenly his moment arrives as the troll turns his back to the avatar and seems preoccupied with scratching his rear end. The avatar bursts through the door and attacks, first with root and then a series of rapid blows to the trolls back. Victory!

It was a small troll, and he knows that the remaining challenges will become progressively more difficult. He rests a moment to regain his health, then cautiously advances through one of three doors. He sees another outlander and immediately crouches behind some crates. The other outlander is distracted by a nest of spiders. Should he cooperate with the other avatar, or maybe hang back and let the other avatar do the work, then attack and kill him when he is at his weakest. He decides to wait, despite the time pressure - there are many other avatars engaged in this event, and the first to stand his ground on the final Victory Podium for a full minute will win fame and glory (and loot!).

Dwalin Bombardin likes this.
  8. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

We are on the same page friend, but the title of this thread is ''PvP Zones''.

Why the hell you talking about story line HERE ?

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  9. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Probably because the two go hand in hand. Meaningful PVP is completely dependent on story and reason for being. Mechanics are huge as is risk/reward, but backstory is just as important. The mechanics will keep people here - but for many, it'll be the story that hooks them.

I think a lot of PVE folks would be more inclined to risk harvesting in PVP zones if it fit into their story... it's a noteworthy observation, imo.

Ellrynn, Belgtor and Abydos like this.
  10. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

Because we story friends always here that we shall be patient because the game is still in development and I thought that this empty phrase also fits for PvP No harm meant, I have nothing against PvP as long as I'm not forced to play it.

11. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

How about a more refined PVP flagging system that takes into account the PVP that only wants part time PVP.

Guild only/Town Safe/Full PVP.

This would allow for a true risk vs reward system where the benefits are tied to the PVP flag not a location.
    Guild only gets x
    Town safe gets x + x
    And Full gets the largest benefit.

And has options for the part time PVP players without limiting scenes as PVP only.

12. Inevitability

Inevitability Avatar

You are posting about things you never actually went and tested.. great job...

13. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Ummm..... False again. Waste of time replying to you

14. Inevitability

Inevitability Avatar

Just stating you can get the same amount of resources in a none pvp zone theres not much different now then you agreed later after you saw that guys screen shots

15. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

That was sarcasm.

it is fact:
    There are/or will be more nodes per area, so less running.
    And
    A higher chance for rare drops.

So that's what I don't get, why?

Answers:
    Risk vs Reward:
    Well remove all your armor, unstack all you items you collect, empty your pack and wow no risk with reward.

What other answer?
    They like killing naked minors?
    There is no other outlet for PVP?

They need to fix what is broken and stop trying to entice people with PVP areas and drop rates. What are they going to advertise? We have the most naked minors in our pvp areas to kill? Start fixing PVP and stop restricting the scenes in the game.

16. airroncam

airroncam Avatar

So put a base 500 gold every time you die in PvP. Problem solved.

17. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

I have never been into open PvP unless it's server-wide. Early UO was cool and exciting but also was jacked fulla griefing

Structured PvP (arenas, tournaments etc) has typically given the me the best experiences. Or mass-scale wars with objectives (control points with NPC spawns tied to the owner's side)

Honestly there are hundreds of games to take inspiration from. You don't need to reinvent the wheel. Comb some forums, see what resonates, discard the rest, and build the best **** u can.

Thx

18. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Instead of trying to make killing naked minors profitable. You could just base the resource gathering benefits on the PVP tag itself. So it would not be just one PVP zone only a few will go to, but someone could turn on there PVP tag and get the benefits amywhere they are. Now all scenes are open to NonPVP players. Players who take the added risk of wearing a PVP tag get a reward. It also spreads out the areas to make things appear a little safer and maybe more people would wear the tag.

19. Lord Lew

Lord Lew Avatar

What does pvp have to do in any way with resources???????

Risk vs Reward is as much a joke here in SOTA as it was in UO, when it was utilized in an attempt to make Fel a destination of interest again. We all know how well that worked out, A small group of players cornered the market and became the providers of power scrolls.

What we need is more focus on content and stability / optimization.

Where is the risk that the player takes who attacks and kills the harvester? Hell at least in UO the PVPers risked a murder charge and the inevitable RED glow. That way at Least the hapless harvester knows that the other guy on the tree in the distance is an absolute threat to his existence.

I've come to terms with the inevitable PK ganking. What I take issue with is the fact that there is no risk to players that chose to attack without provocation.

Ok drone over..
    Grow a guy, Peace out

20. airroncam

airroncam Avatar

99% of people that play this game play in friends only. Its not even an MMO. There is zero hope for PvP in this game ever. The guy above me is proof positive of that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.