1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Q1 2016 Schedule Update

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

That's actually exactly the point i was trying to (hoping to) get across. :p

2. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

No mention of Kacey! You keep trying to make us fat! :p (I think I ate a dozen of those eye cake balls BTW)

3. Kacey Cupcakes

Kacey Cupcakes Avatar

Glad to hear they got eaten. I'll give up my goal of helping(he who will not be named) win the weight loss challenge, even though they promised cupcakes in game, and bring fruits and salads for the time being. Now to devise a way to make fruit look like a cupcake!

4. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

I want to like this post 100 times!! Thanks @WrathPhoenix!

5. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

Chocolate-covered melon balls, and 1 out of every 5 is actually a brussel sprout.

6. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Hmm.. maybe there should be an email that goes out to qualified backers when each submission request comes out?
    Since many pledgers don't frequent the forums, (i don't know, maybe this is already done, but i don't think so, i think it's just a part of the weekly newsletter)

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  7. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Yes, but the weekly update actually is the email that is sent to all backers.
    Problem with sending other emails on the side is where to draw the line? What is important enough to have its own email? How soon when Port is starting these extra emails will also go into people's mental filter etc?

if there had been these types of thinking early on then I would have adviced creating interest groups as email subscription lists. So that a player could subscribe to specific interests, like NPC Design, PvP, POTs, etc. that way when one has a news for that group it could target those directly. But then again the weekly updates would be rather thin if all such special interest stuff was removed.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  8. agra

agra Avatar

More than that, it should both email and message those users that have not fulfilled their pledge request on the forums. Designing an NPC is a huge deal to some people, and those I know that have been waiting for this are 100% oblivious there has been any requests for NPC submissions, at all, ever. Badly handled, yet again. Not using available tech, yet again. :(

9. Miracle Dragon

If people read the weekly updates, they wouldn't be oblivious, but yes, because it is a pledge reward, I do feel these could have some special notice outside the weekly letter. (or on top highlighted, so it's hard to miss)

10. agra

agra Avatar

The implication is that the calls for NPC Submissions have been in a weekly update, at some point? Neither I nor my Dev+ buddies have seen such a thing, yet?

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  11. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

Umm... they were there. Several of them actually.... They were in update 157, and several more before that every time that one has come up to my knowledge.

12. Lained

Lained Avatar

The requests were in the following updates along with the recap of each subsequent week: -
    • 146 Jaanaford
    • 150 Etceter
    • 154 Trading Outpost of Kiln
    • 157 Aerie & Resolute

13. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Yep they were.

Kacey and Miracle Dragon like this.
  14. Kacey Cupcakes

Kacey Cupcakes Avatar

But, you mean I have to read the stuff they email me? Where does it stop? Do I have to read known issues before I submit a bug? I bet I need to search for a bug in the forum before I submit it? Wait, we are supposed to submit bugs and test for them? Reading is hard.
    On a serious note, this is not "designing" an NPC. It is name one and submit a back story. The tech is not there for us to design one.

Miracle Dragon, KuBaTRiZeS and Logain like this.
  15. Tristan J.

Tristan J. Avatar

"Interactive Use Logging: Players will be able to view a log that tracks which players interacted with an interactive object (doors, containers, etc.) on a player’s lot or Player Owned Town location."
    I hope this includes a price index on the general town merchant so we can see what players recently sold for what price to have a kind of economic price index in game.
    I want to tan and sell leather to the general market but don't know at what price, I also generally feel like vast harvesting is worthless in trade cause monster loot is far superior. I'm not sure if this is a balance issue or
    if this is how its meant to be. Although I've been a supporter for awhile I'm still fairly new and still need more in-game time to make sound judgment. Can someone perhaps shed some more light on this issue?

16. Shadow of Light Dragon

Shadow of Light Dragon Avatar

I've suggested the Devs use the KS messaging system about NPC pledge rewards numerous times, to no effect.

Mentioning it in a couple of updates when we're well into the 100's makes it easy to miss, especially if you're not interested in the MMO side and and it's been mostly MMO news for a long time. Look at the most recent update by comparion. Offline front and centre, nothing else, and new people signing up just to vote on the poll.

Every other KS I've signed up to uses the KS system for reward-specific alerts. I don't understand why Portalarium doesn't utilise this in tandem with their email updates.

17. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Let's get a more precise and correct answer here. The original KS promise was ambiguous: "You also get to help create a character in the game as well as name them." "Design" is a synonym for "create", so proper to say it, but that is still ambiguous.

It was decided much later that "help create a character" essentially meant (trying to use the latest post on Resolute as an example):

NPC name:
    NPC gender:
    NPC profession (first choice):
    NPC profession (second choice):
    NPC background (optional): A paragraph on whom your NPC is, how they would respond to nosy outlanders poking about their business, what brings them to Resolute (or keeps them there), or anything else you'd like to add. We reserve the right to edit and/or reject any background that does not fit the lore and setting of the game.

Not all were happy with the clarification, but all pretty much agree that it had to be this thin of a design/creation to be able to make it happen according to the number of backers who got this reward.

From someone who reads. :)

18. Miracle Dragon

Also, I think it's important to note, that additional design decisions, such as how the character might look, are planned to be included in the future. It is not clear what the additional choices in design might be, but anyone who wants more than the above mentioned choices, should wait until after the tool is created that gives us more functionality. (which looks like it will be after Final Wipe).. so I don't think anyone should worry about missing anything yet.

Vyrin, 4EverLost and Logain like this.
  19. SamRothstein

SamRothstein Avatar

I'm curious what your source is for this data?

Also, did any developer ever confirm what "final wipe" actually means? I always assumed it meant the "very last wipe, no exceptions". Some people are saying it's "final wipe before the final release wipe" which would actually mean "second to last wipe". If it's the latter definition thats fine, but very very misleading. Dont know why anyone would say "last" when it's not really "last".

Lord-Galiwyn likes this.
  20. Miracle Dragon

Final wipe means last wipe.. I'm positive you'll learn more about this from the Devs in the near future..

WrathPhoenix likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.