1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Q1 2017 Schedule Update

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Dec 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

No.

Hard level caps is an artificial way to keep everyone equal in a MMO while devs have to manage new level caps constantly. Soft caps are very smartly done in SOTA. The higher levels you will reach, the slower you'll get new bonus.

And that's it...

But you can manage to get your own hard level cap if you want : just switch your skills to "maintain"

2. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Actually chests, wardrobes, … are since the beginning meant to have different limits. If I remember right the more valuable the type of e.g. chest the higher will be the limit of items/weight you can store inside.
    Maybe some avatars have to adjust their offering but I do not think this implementation will be such a big problem...and maybe...just maybe we should wait till implementation before we start to complain. ;)

Numa and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  3. Belgtor

Belgtor Avatar

I disagree with your views. While the soft cap was indeed implemented in the best way for the system. I believe it limits the game potential clients. Example on a pvp front fighting some who you know has the same possible to get skills as you on a solid number chart. If you loss if was because they simply used what they had better then you.

While the current system allows player to have the ability to scale higher and higher. Making it an endless game of caght up. Sadly 95% of people don't have that kind of time.

Given at a smaller rate as you level, that helps to off set your increase exp gaining. New players will find the long road to be pointless if not to time consuming.

While other play styles may find it hard to see some one do their main school of magic better then them on top of everything else.

I do fully understand that only a very small number of players will he able to achieve this level of multi skill grand mastery. The fact remains they will do a well know part of the game.

Now I'd ask you reply with a critical answer of your views and no more *cute* comments on maintain skill options.
    But I consider for solo play the current system works perfectly.

Arc and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  4. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

But I think you cannot be resistant to all types of damage regardless how many experience you have.
    I think there was recently a post in a thread describing that…but I cannot find it. I do not have it clearly in my mind but I can remember that heavy armor is (or will) not absorbing every type of damage the same way as light armor does…just as an (fictional) example piercing damage from arrows is doing more damage than normally expected to heavy armored and less damage than normally expected to light armored avatars.
    And if I understood the mechanic right also attunement is just active for your mostly leveled magic school, making you still vulnerable to all other schools. E.g. if all the “old” avatars are skilled in fire magic simply use chaos magic to kill them.

(If I am missunderstood or misinterpreted something than I'm sorry.)

Hornpipe likes this.
  5. Phoenix007

Phoenix007 Avatar

My opinion a soft cap is better.
    Current scale, when we are high level, we add new skill at high level but we can't use all. We need to create a choice to use it and with on chars we can play differently. That is nice.

For the PVP, we need that we meet only people with "same level". The Soft cap doesn't resolve the issue that the others can have many more skill (Heath, Mana, ...) or only if the level is low and in this case the game is really less interesting.

Belgtor likes this.
  6. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

It's quite a narrow minded view. "pvp" is not only a face to face and invariable duel. Sure, better skills mean better chances. But better gear, better tactics, too... So what ? Should we play chess ?

The fact is that SOTA rewards invested time. And the decreasing curve of progression is there to avoid the biggest imbalances. Hard caps break immersion and more seriously, motivation.

If you don't want that invested time counts, then a RPG skill system can simply not be maintained. I could be ok with that but I'm not sure it's a good solution. Go play Chivalry. It's a good example of what is a fun combat system without skill progression.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    Stundorn likes this.
  7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well this is great Feedback that needs to be considered. It does not mean that those chest limits have to be so limited to start and that we can see what works. I do worry if it is implemented without warning and then what that would do to the game with a lot of chests having items flowing out all over the floors of places and lost and who knows what night mares I cannot even imagine ;) So @DarkStarr if you could comment, well when you get a moment ;)

Chatele likes this.
  8. Belgtor

Belgtor Avatar

I do acknowledge that a near unlimited number of factors go into pvp. Given hear and tactics as you stated are going to be different from player to player. The is RPG different people will do different things builds,weapon, etc. However what is at the core of that is my concern. Regardless of how you use what you have earned. If some one can show of and defeat all Comer due to having the exp to have massive resistance to all schools of magic (physical is to simply to resist) it would be kind of silly.
    I do understand and agree you made some very valuable points. I only fund no common ground on immersion breaking. It doesn't seem all that breaking for some one to be unable to fully utilize all types of on top of being able to do holding whatever large object in heavy armor.

Given I may not be informed on all matters so far. I am keeping an open mind.

9. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

Well, if waiting is your choice,that is up to you. The chest issue will not affect me and it's not for me that I am bringing this up a month ahead of time. It is because of the people it will have a affect on.
    The fact that different chest or wardrobes were "supposed" to have a limit from the beginning is a mute point, they didn't. And all that has been stated is there will be a limit imposed, without so much as a description of what those limits entail so the community can see ahead of time how it will affect them. All I want is @DarkStarr to clarify what this change will be, how it will affect players who have too much in chest and so on. I really don't see this as too much to ask. :)

Chatele, Hornpipe and majoria70 like this.
  10. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

One of the biggest causes of hitches in scenes with player housing is a player opening a container with more than a few hundred items in it. This effects the ENTIRE scene. The only way to prevent this is to impose limits per container. The first round of numbers will be fairly simple at 300 per piece of furniture (chest/wardrobe/sarcophagi/etc) and 150 per "bag" (backpacks/bags/etc) and yes this means we are making bags and backpacks placeable containers.

11. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

What about commodities and resources (like reagents, ore, lemons, etc...)? Do those count on the non-container (furniture) limit?

Whoops, I just figured out what you were saying, nevermind! I read it wrong the first time, I thought you were saying that you could only hold 300 pieces of furniture in a chest.

12. DarkStarr

A stack of items counts as a single item

13. Drocis the Devious

Thanks!

Seems reasonable to me. 300 actually seems pretty generous. So there's no weight restrictions. You can have 7 billion banana's as long as they're all stacked together that's just a count of 1 stack. The one thing that pops out at me is what happens when you have items that can't stack, like hats. They take up a lot of room in a system like that. 7 billion banana's equals 1 hat, for example.

I guess now would be a good time to resubmit bug reports on items that probably should stack but don't?

Oh yeah, equally important question. What happens if I have a chest that currently holds 6000 things, and then there's a limit of 300 things in a future release? What happens to my stuff? :)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  14. DarkStarr

It will work like the bank. You can withdraw but not add.

Chatele, NRaas, psteg and 4 others like this.
  15. Drocis the Devious

Cool, makes sense.

I hope someday we have weight restrictions too. :)

This message brought to you by Lobby of the Day. Lobby of the Day, if you're not being lobbied, you're not reading the forums!

16. Balandar

Balandar Avatar

That's a lot of body parts.

How many new masterwork enhancments will we be seeing with the upcoming release?

17. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Any chance we could get a small box-like container? Something like a reskinned Box-o-Plenty or a miniature version of a chest? The use-case is something that can be placed on a desk or counter, perhaps used as a notebox or dropbox instead of a huge chest.

18. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

???
    o_O

A year ago the limit on all containers was 512 stacks. There were some strange edge case bugs I reported surrounding containers that was full.
    I think they increased the limit the quarter before persistance and I still think that there is one just so high that one normally wouldn't bump into it.
    There used to be and still is a limit that you cannot move a container with 16 containers in it.

And I can find quotes from the dev team on container limits as far back as R9 from an easy search, probably earlier if I really dug deep.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/release-9-instructions.13776/

So irregardless of our opinions on the matter, the dev plan has always been to have container limits. Although early on it seems that was planned to be by encumbrance/weight not stack.

19. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

@DarkStarr

To make this transition easier I suggest
    1. The container window needs to get an X/Y so that we can easily see the number of items we have and how close to the limit we are.
      If you implement this a couple of weeks before the limit itself takes effect then we can much more easily go through our containers to see which we need to split/fix.
    2. When doing a multi-select in the inventory windows could we please get a number of items indicator next to and moving with the mouse as we drag them?
      This since when doing the shift+click and multi-drag it is very hard to know how many stacks one got.
    3. Please please please for the love of SotA with sugar on top and honey on top of that.
      Could we get a rightclick>Sort feature to Auto-Sort a whole container/inventory.
      That way the user can either put the items in as seperate stacks, but if wanted they can rightclick>Sort and all items in the container would auto-stack up once.
    4. When dragging multiple items from one inventory view to another, have a key+mouse combo that auto-stacks.
      So that we can hold down Ctrl or something when dropping the items, that way they get auto-sorted into their respective stacks already existing in the target window.
      This since I remember how tedious it was back when we had a limit that one would have to find each item in the target window and only drag one stack at a time to add to it.

majoria70 likes this.
  20. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I just have 250 in Bank and less in my containers ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.