1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Q3 2015 Schedule Update

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jun 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Here's a short list of things I wish I saw in the schedule update....in no particular order.

1. Macro Conquest features for PVP. (ya know, like was promised 6 months ago and over the last two years we've talked about in depth from time to time)
    2. City and Town Wizard Towers in the Add-on store. (so it makes it in before launch)
    3. Blocks and Counters in Combat so it (being combat) isn't horrible for pvp anymore.
    4. My POT being made before launch (using a template that seems like it's capable of supporting at least the spirit of what I'm trying to make)

Other than that, all this other stuff is great but seems to dance around what I really care about the most.

Xail likes this.
  2. Drocis the Devious

You seem fine with new features that come at the expense of meaningful pvp.

You can't make a world where pvp doesn't matter and still get "meaningful" pvp.

Xail likes this.
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

I think all city and town wizard towers should be destructable (though not any of the other housing!) That means they can be destroyed in Open PvP siege combat and have to be repurchased. ;)

4. Drocis the Devious

Yay meaningful! ;)

5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Depends how you define "meaningful".. if meaningful is non-consensual then we have different definitions of what meaningful PvP would be. Though I fail to see how books, weather and crafting come at the expense of "meaningful PvP".

6. Drocis the Devious

You said PVE players shouldn't be blocked if the control points were taken over by pvp players. So why take a control point over if you're a pvp player? You're not there to PVE, that would be meaningless.

You're fine with that level of pvp being meaningless because you are apparently putting more value on PVE. Even though nothing would stop a PVE player from taking the long way around, or waiting.

The incorrect assumption to make here is that people that onl,y like PVP can also PVE and that's just fine. But people that only like PVE can't ever PVP. Notice I'm not saying that people should be forced to PVP. I'm just saying that if it's good for one playing style then it should be good for the other.

I have absolutely no interesting in PVE control points. That's not how I want to use my time. I'm also looking for ways to make PVP more meaningful and I think Shardfalls are an excellent model for that. You want to go in there, you have to accept PVP.

7. Drocis the Devious

New Desert Houses are AWESOME!

I wish the first city house in like two years was a wizard tower though...also, why no row houses? (hopefully someday, after the wizard tower is created) :)
    [​IMG]

Abydos and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Current control points block EVERYONE.. if players don't control them.. that was always the intent. That includes PvPers.. so if PvPers take over they what? Turn into PvP-Only zones? How is that any different then any other PvP Only zone except now non-PvPers have no choice but to risk getting ganked in order to pass through?

You're assuming there is a long way around. There are only two ways for example to get between north and south Novia.. both have control points. If a bunch of PvPers are controlling them 24/7 how is anyone to get through? There won't be a long way around. Those PvPers let it go.. now they have to face the mobs again.. how long do you think it would take for a group of PvPers to take control of one of those control points in order to let people through peacefully? Then how long would they have to hold it?

The control points we have just aren't meant for what you want. Unfortunately Novia just isn't designed that way. If you really want control points to be this way.. what you ought to push for are areas beyond control points that are essentially PvP only.

9. Drocis the Devious

Told you, they can take the long way around. Which is what people that don't like PVE will have to do when the control point is controlled by PVE dumbness.

I'm assuming if PVP is to be meaningful then we'd design the map so it would be meaningful. I'm assuming that we don't design a game for PVE and then go GEE WHIZ why isn't pvp meaningful?!

It's pretty frustrating to have to explain this as we near the home stretch to launch.

10. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

Just want to say thank you Starr and everyone else working so very hard at Portalarium as well as the moderators on this forum that have been pulling their hair out trying to keep things a little more organized (the chaos was fun tho and kept us on our toes.. admit it .. little excitement gives the tedium a funner meaning and purpose)..

Second.. Congrats to Dara Brae for being the next Player Owned Town on the map! Well Deserved! Thank you for the Welcome Quests!

I look forward to this next quarter!

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

And I told you that's an assumption that a long way around will even be available.. with example. You want control points to be meaningful for PvP.. but if everyone can just walk around at all times then control points are meaningless for everyone. Walking around would be a lot easier and faster than fighting your way through.

12. Drocis the Devious

That's why game design is hard. You have to think about that stuff. You don't just say "well this is how it is now" and then make changes or not make changes based entirely on that. When you add a feature, you often have to change existing features.

I thought you knew that, but apparently you did not, or you forgot about it, or it was just massively convenient to your argument to leave that part out. Regardless, what your saying is irrelevant unless Portalarium can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Heh.. I have no interest in turning this into another PvP thread.. which from that response is what this conversation is starting to sound like. So we'll leave it at that before I'm tempted to respond to that comment.

14. Beli

Beli Avatar

I am glad fishing is coming,t.. I just hope fishing is not pushed down the pipe line how ingame player music has been.

15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I imagine fishing to be significantly less complicated. :) But aren't instruments rescheduled for Q3? I'm sure I saw them listed for R22?

16. Beli

Beli Avatar

we will see, we have seen this already once

FrostII likes this.
  17. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Yes we have.. I'm not going to hold my breath. So far there's always something that's been delayed every release and musical instruments are a prime candidate for that yes.. but until the release comes along and says "sorry we had to delay X again" I'd like to at least be a little optimistic. :)

FrostII likes this.
  18. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Fantastic !!!!

19. Nepenthor

Nepenthor Avatar

Thanks Darkstarr for the report on future releases. It does help me to see and anticipate what is coming in these new releases...

As a traveller coming over from lotro I am pleased to see the music system coming in Release 22 with instruments and ability to play music. Also as an avid fisherman, I am pleased to see the fishing feature arrive.

Nepenthor
    Pax et Veritas

"How snug is your Hobbit Hole?"

20. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

We've also seen them delay player-made books for several releases and now they are in. Fishing might or might not make it in this quarter but at least it's on the schedule! That's a step-up from when it wasn't on the schedule at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.