1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Q4 Schedule

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Oct 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

@DarkStarr, would it be possible to add a UI element that allows a party leader to choose whether they run it instanced or open? IMO if players choose to run it open, the waves should increase in difficulty based on the number of people in the instance. If they choose to do it instanced, it should be a set difficulty level that targets whatever size group you want (like a single full party or a half / full raid). Going a step further, you could even let the party leader select a difficulty for an instanced version from, say, 5, 10, 15, or 20 people. Or whatever sizes you want.

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Good idea, you might also increase the challenge the more people attempting to get into the (hex) zone. :)

3. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Good idea.

4. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

Does this also include Add-On Store and Stretch Goal Store purchases?

5. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

I would guess (based on many other titles) that you would wipe before "launch", however the funding and backing style of Shroud certainly would allow you to do more of a "soft launch" where although skill points, land plots, or even characters may be wiped - contents of account based bank boxes could be retained. This would certainly encourage more people to test and play knowing that hours of collection work is paying off in some way. (but I can understand where bugs and exploits could cause the need for a item wipe)

I certainly understand each way of doing things, I'm just a little taken back by your delivery of verbiage there that, "It is worth noting that while we will be going live for "24/7" we can't yet 100% guarantee persistence and we may have to wipe at least once." - because while it gives you the options to wipe, it also almost conveys a possibility that you might NOT. And simply leaving that open for possibility is what is most surprising to me. I mean is it actually a possibility that you might not need to wipe or is it such a small chance that we should simply plan on it?

Not trying to lawyer anyone here...just trying to understand the possibilities or thought process from your point of view.

6. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Actually, that's kind of a hole in the increasing difficulty idea. People could troll by just zoning in and sitting somewhere safe.

Unless... there is nowhere safe. Mwahaha!

7. Arianna

Arianna Avatar

Do you have any rough idea yet what these fees might be? Or is it a bit to early to guess?

8. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

It's sort of a moot point probably because the ways in which you earn gold will almost certainly change as well with the addition of item durability / repair plus more crafting recipes.

9. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

I was going to comment and say that a method of trading rewards and making the trade permanent already exist; the tech appeared in R10. But as I was running scenarios through my mind, the issue of payment using in game means arose. Getting gold in a world where dupes, exploits, and other nefarious means can easily be introduced into the current world is a problem. Or even a simple mistake, such as the Clink guard, can introduce ways to accumulate hoards of in-game gold easily. So meticulous logging of transactions would be necessary to allow rollbacks. Or the other option isn't to allow them until a 'hard', not world persistence, is possible.

10. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

We aren't even close to the point yet where we can promise we won't wipe. It's a non-small chance.

11. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

I'm interested in what kind of tech is going to be used on control pints. one of the problems with Warhammer occurred whenpeople started piling into zones to fight. Their biggest problems had to do with what turned out to be massive castle battles where a couple of hundred people where placed into the same zones. Those zones became unplayable as the servers and couldn't handle the load and the clients couldn't render the scenes. so it will be interesting to see how much instancing will be needed and how the instancing is going to impact the overall control, or individual control, of the control points. A method of instancing is going to be needed, how it is handled will be interesting.

12. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

lol..."non-small"

13. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

I have a steam account and am willing to help in any way.

14. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

Hi Lum!

Oh I understand the absurd chances of not getting a wipe, and I don't mind getting wiped if that is what needed. :)

It's not about looking for promises, what I am talking about is a mentality of a play based upon a theory. Let me explain:

If as a development team you did not have a "guaranteed" plan to wipe everything before launch (however the small chance of that there is).

Player one faces testing as if there is 100% chance of a final wipe, Player two faces testing as if there is 99% chance of a final wipe.

It would really be more harsh to player one who tested planning on a wipe to find out there wasn't one then it would be to player two
    who found out there was going to be wipe.

I mean if there was a chance, however minuscule, that accumulation of goods, or money, or whatever was not moot, then certainly
    there would be less of a chance to find me sittin in game with a thumb up me arse making silly emotes at passers by when I could be
    mining ore. If there's wipe, so be it...that is the way of things.

So I guess what I'm saying is not that I was looking for any promises of would there be or would not there be a wipe, but more the mentality
    of the development team that "Hey, there could be a point where we decide we ain't wiping - there is not necessarily a D-Day at the end of Beta".

It a huge separation from knowing that yeah, like most online games out there, we plan to clear everything out before official launch.

Hearing someone say "we can't yet 100% guarantee persistence and we may have to wipe at least once." is odd statement to hear when we
    as online gamers are used to the guaranteed wipe before launch. That is where my confusion came in, because it left room for speculation.

Not Lawyering, Not Looking for promises, just trying to understand the model here since we are in new territory of development here. :)

15. Beli

Beli Avatar

And my birthday as well, we all will have to get together and have a party.

16. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

Thank you again my Liege,

Sooo much too look forward to and to remain impatiently patient all at the same time!

I am surprised I do not see anyone has mentioned this yet... so I am going to. What is this "Level" stuff? I understand a need for character advancement so we can go up the skill trees, however... levels? This rings of "grinding", almost as negative a word as "pink" is.

Now please do not take this as a LMB as I would not go that far, things change, things have to be re-addressed and altered but.... leveling? I was, as I am sure many were, under the impression there were not going to be any levels, so that all Avatars may be able to play amongst each other. There is an uneasy feeling associated with this word.

Mrs Raines Pie Shop - Serving People since 2014 - Excited to get to finally get to try this!

R13 -
    I am looking forward to this.

~reads, reads, taps her foot, bites her nails~ .. impatiently being patient awaiting 2015.. to be able to round out her character with the proper trees.

17. Beli

Beli Avatar

As far as wipes, I assume none the less there will be a wipe when the game goes live and we have the big land rush. Another words dont plan on keeping that lot while we are 24/7 in alpha or beta.

18. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

Totally, me too. That is how I have been approaching things and why I had to stop and make sure I was not mistaken. :)

19. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Just wanted to comment on this too. Awesome.

I know I've been asking for the ability to rent and set permissions to areas of a house, this is probably the most exciting news for me personally. I'm sure a lot of other people are looking forward to this too.

20. Gaelis

Gaelis Avatar

Thats what I think too.
    I'm a little confused about having my pledge-rewards ingame before E1 launches and the whipe.

Question to Devs:

What's about pledge items I would donate to players ( maybe a house or something else)?

Will they still be on my Account after the big whipe and when E1 launches?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.