Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

QA369 & QA370 - Auto Attack & Mouse Movement-Run Inoperative

Discussion in 'Release 31 Dev+' started by Brickbat, Jun 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brickbat

Brickbat Avatar

QA369 & QA370

Fixing something else, seems to have broken this again:

Auto Attack Inoperative/Missing Option Under Games to Enable it
    (likewise)
    Mouse Movement-Run is therefore un-enable-able by disabling Free Attack so that the left mouse button doesn't charge a swing.

V/R Brickbat

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  2. Lacey

Lacey Avatar

ya I noticed this too and it drives me nuts... took me forever to find my cursor too... every time I hit my right mouse button it gives me the permissions box...
    @Berek @Attenwood

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  3. Brickbat

Brickbat Avatar

QA370 same issues.

4. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

Great. Can't move with both mouse buttons again. Sure glad tomorrow is not final wipe. Really annoying

5. BurningToad

BurningToad Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I believe moving with the mouse was changed to the middle mouse button / pressing the wheel down.

I think auto-attack was also changed to activate with just a key instead of an option, I think the default is T.

Right click issue bringing up permissions menus too often should be fixed in 370.

6. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

@BurningToad So, what is the trick to changing move forward from depressing the middle mouse button to using the left and right mouse button together? And how do I disable whatever it is that causes me to swing my weapon with the left mouse button. I seem to be able to not leave interactive mode by changing toggle cursor to NONE but prefer auto attack to be an option rather than a key. I actually do not want Free Attack... Ever!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  7. Brickbat

Brickbat Avatar

Ugggh. So, QA370 - In free cursor mode, hitting 'T' swings once, hitting Left Mouse click swings once, hitting and holding Left Mouse click charges attacks. Auto attack mode does not toggle ("start/stop") with T. Now hitting "Ctrl-T" does start auto attack. Further, double Left Mouse (trackball) click doesn't start combat anymore.

Mouse2 sort of works as described but it's not what we could do before.

For movement in free cursor mode,

(Old) By pushing both mouse buttons, you could run and then turn (changing direction of movement) with the Trackball ball (no idea how the rodent population do turns - but with a trackball ball it's easy to adjust your direction of movement while running).

(New) By depressing the middle mouse (trackball) wheel (when I don't actually roll it accidentally thereby changing the zoom level) does in fact sort of move your character forward. But you are unable to turn (changing direction of movement). Now, depressing the middle mouse (trackball) wheel and the Right Mouse button gives you the old method, but it's very, very clunky to use that way. Left and right mouse buttons are a "natural" distance apart, this way your crunching your fingers together to make it work.

So looked to see if I could "rebind" those function to something else like (HOLDING down BOTH left and right mouse buttons, like before)? Nope, default is forward movement "Mouse2" and unable to change to left mouse button, or right mouse button or both right and left at the same time. You can go back to the keyboard operation but that takes us back to the disability issues that many face without mouse (Trackball) movement that you took out and put back in.

Further, movement the WASD movement people (or default Ctrl-WASD people and Arrows movement people essentially only have two columns to bind those keys. Usually I bind both methods of movement for flexibility the under controls and this eliminates the ability to do both of those methods and try and use the Middle Mouse button too.

Not sure why the changes were needed, but they don't work very well at all.

Just give us the ability to re-path key bindings on everything, every intended function, every intended control, etc. This should be to any key, any combinations of keys, any mouse (Trackball) buttons, any combination of mouse (trackball) buttons and keys, etc. If we have a dang touch screen monitor and we want to "swipe" the screen if the Operating System can understand the "swipe" let us bind that to a function/control.

V/R Brickbat

8. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

Hey, @Brickbat one month until "final wipe". If you can figure out why they're making it more difficult to play let me know, would ya?

9. Raven Swiftbow

Raven Swiftbow Bug Hunter

@BurningToad @Lord British - can you tell us why this was changed? Why??? Why are the devs constantly trying to change how we move?

There are many UO players who will (hopefully) be coming over to Shroud of the Avatar. Those players already have challenges learning how to move in SotA but these types of changes do *NOT* help with that. The way it was set up before was working just fine. It takes waaaay too much pressure to push down on a center wheel mouse button (and some older models of mice do not even have that center button).

Further, you cannot even change these settings in the set up controls!

I do not know why these changes keep getting made. It's like a change to movement is made - people fuss about it - it gets changed back - then a release later another attempt is made to change how we move. I have never heard any reason why these changes are necessary.

There does not seem to be any doubt that the community does not like these changes and everyone is scratching their heads over what is going on and why it is not being discussed before being implemented. It's almost like something is trying to be sneaked in on us but I know that is not the way Portalarium operates.

Please, please explain what is behind these changes.

Dariog, Flair, Gamician and 8 others like this.
  10. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I dont like these changes. There was nothing wrong with the way it was. Now its awkward and puts the eronomics of the hand in an odd position for long periods of time while requiring more force to hold down move buttons. Rgt and left are more sensitive buttons and spaces correctly for your hands. Middle is fine for the occasional thing but not full time use.

@Attenwood

11. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

Tried it - this is physically not going to work.

For someone with difficulties using the left hand, mouse movement is critical. Putting movement on the middle-mouse button does not help. On many gaming mice, that's a scroll wheel which causes it's own issues. So - mid movement, I am also slightly zooming in or out which can somewhat disorienting during combat (OK - I'm older and might not have the fine control some of the youngsters may have). In addition, the mouse wheel button is also almost always stiffer and takes a harder press than the left or right buttons. For someone with carpel-tunnel syndrome - it could be quite painful and end up making the game unplayable.

I agree with Raven - these changes appear to be quite random and without much forethought (from the player perspective). I have to assume that there is some reason for the Developers to think this change is necessary, but without knowing more of what is trying to be accomplished, it just looks like a big mistake that hurts the player-base and makes fewer people able to play/want to play.

Lastly - this movement system is in direct contradiction to the player-guide that Darkstarr linked to in his Release-31 Publish notes. To some extent, it looks like Portalarium's right hand does not know what the left hand is doing. Is that healthy for the game? I guess someone may have just missed updating the player guide, but given that the mouse-movement change was an item of such concern to many players recently, I'd think that more changes in this area would be carefully scrutinized.

Dariog, Flair, Gamician and 8 others like this.
  12. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

13. tinman_n8

tinman_n8 Avatar

Acred and Roper Docholiday like this.
  14. Beli

Beli Avatar

Well something is wrong, cause this dont jive with the instructions on how to move in game Per Darkstarr's R31 instruction post.
    You can move through the game world using the “W-A-S-D” keys (used in most PC games). You can redefine these keys to any others preferred (the arrow keys, for example) in the Controls section of the options menu. You can also move forward using the mouse by holding both the left and right buttons down simultaneously (only in Interactive mode).

15. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

I failed to patch QA about 6 times last night...gave up on it. Get some error message .. get thread context failed or something to that effect then the patcher starts from 0. I put exclusions in my anti-virus software but no dice. bbl.

16. Lord British

Lord British Lord British SOTA Developer

Hey, friends, don't get upset! This is game development! We try things and change things. We want your feedback, and we do listen.
    But, please don't fault us for exploring ways we think MIGHT make things better!
    We cut the right click=move in reticle mode as it blocked the right click menus from working.
    We determined that many were remapping to the scroll wheel button, so we defaulted to that instead.
    We will make as much as possible configurable, but we will also settle on the default standard we believe suits beginner play the best.
    But, we will be making changes in features including UI through at least the end of year.
    Final Wipe is just Final Wipe of Player Data, NOT a stop in ANY other areas of development.
    We currently allow: Mouse mode, reticle mode, combat mode, non-combat mode, manual combat, auto combat.
    Its often difficult or impossible to let all these be mapped simultaneously to either "The Old Ways" whichever is old to you, or remain consistent between modes, whcih is also important.

So, please, don't over-react, we are here to listen and help.
    We have plenty of time to make everyone equally happy (and unhappy) :)

Thanks for joining us on the journey!
    - Richard "Lord British" Garriott

Wilfred, Grimace2, AvatarGG and 9 others like this.
  17. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

As for remapping the right and left mouse buttons, that is just not feasible. There is a LOT of context sensitive stuff that goes on with the mouse buttons.. For example, with 2 buttons you can select targets, interact with scene items, you can use menus, interact with UI, rotate the camera, pull up context sensitive menus from in world elements, charge attacks, and I'm sure several other things I'm missing. Letting players remap a function to a button would break all the other stuff.

We will evaluate putting back the alternate mouse move stuff but that was being reported as a bug by people due to it conflicting with context menus and interface

Brickbat and Acred like this.
  18. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

@Chris I sure hope you can get things back to being able to move with both mouse buttons. Using the middle button is very uncomfortable. I only play in interactive mode so cannot say what happens in reticle mode but am pretty much stuck not playing the way it was last night in the QA.

PK U, Acred, Leostemplar and 4 others like this.
  19. Womby

Womby Avatar

Setting permissions is something that is done once, then rarely revisited. It is not used often enough to deserve a place on the mouse.
    Movement is done all the time. It should be made as easy as possible. It deserves right mouse button access.

As for auto attack - this should be a global preference. Not something that one has to do before every fight. If someone uses auto-attack, they will likely always use auto-attack, and vice-versa.

Dariog, Svahn, Koldar and 6 others like this.
  20. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Ok, talking to players in chat I think I understand what is going on. There is a bug where it forgets your state when you sheath your weapon. It is also forgetting when you don't have a target for a few seconds. We are also missing an icon to show the state. Fixing those for first patch hopefully.

Just to be clear on that, the goal was to not force people to go to a menu to switch between free attack and auto attack. Some people like to use auto attack for melee and free attack for bows and switch between them. There are just a few glitches that need to be addressed apparently to support some people's play styles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.