Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Quest Journal

Discussion in 'Release 51 Feedback Forum' started by Paulie Walnuts, Mar 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Avatar

Seriously consider creating a main quest line and side quest section in the journal. It's still a royal cluster navigating around the journal and trying to figure out which is which. I recently reset my quests and the only thing saving me right now is knowing what to look for. Same for the task bar on the side.

Or better yet and maybe easier, color code them to differentiate.

Something like:
    Red = Main story quests
    Green = New player (informational quests)
    Black = Side quests

Too much confusion = frustration and impatience for new players.

@Lord British @DarkStarr @Lum the Mad

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    Cordelayne, By Tor, Ataniiq and 5 others like this.
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

As mentioned in another thread off topic of course, here are some pictures of the way games sort quest data and other data for their players. Doing quests yesterday was painful. I know that some of that is because I have not reset quests yet but still I found the information difficult to sift through and also confusing. We definitely need an update to how we handle this. Below pictures are just ideas to take from for whatever they are worth. I also know the team is extremely busy but the story of this game is such an advertised feature perhaps we need to take some time to sort this out before launch in a few days.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Astirian, By Tor, Ataniiq and 2 others like this.
  3. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

+1 ^^ thanks for pointing this out

majoria70 and Paulie Walnuts like this.
  4. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Avatar

I agree. I know it's not easy to code a bunch of pretty graphics which is why i suggested at least just color coding for now.

People will log in, be confused in 10 minutes and quit. Quest line is so ridiculously important for generating interest, character progression, map familiarization and understanding the mechanics of how things work. This is not something IMO that can have too many blemishes.

The story is fun and interesting, but the pages are stuck together. Need a new book.

Rentier, Ataniiq and majoria70 like this.
  5. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Avatar

I feel the need to digress a bit. I've started a brand new character on the QA server and have been playing through the quest line. I was a little more critical last night as i was playing on a reset on R51, so it's a little less forgiving with everything coming from all different angles. So far the questing as a new character has been pretty smooth and for the most quite part enjoyable. I still think we need something to differentiate the main from the side quests. But all things considered, it's far more user friendly than it's ever been.

Max Bennis likes this.
  6. Max Bennis

Max Bennis Avatar

I'd rather use current journal system for now, at least for EP 1, since it gives me the 'classic RPG' feeling and makes me feel like I'm writing a journal myself.

Differentiating colors between main and sub quests can be implemented in a way user friendliness, but personally I just like the way as it is.

I finished the main questline a few releases ago, and waiting to reset it in R52. I'll see to it whether journal improvement is direly required as I progress through it again.

Paulie Walnuts likes this.
  7. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Avatar

It's just a little harder to manage on the reset because you're filling it with things out of order in some cases. Maybe an option toggle the colors it for both flavors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.