Quest: Raymond's Hammer Soltown

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by VY Majoris, Feb 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smack

smack Avatar

But he does mention his hammer...I posted his dialog snippet above...

2. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Are you asking for floating question marks?

Because your rant reminds me of asking for floating question marks.

Either that, or you somehow uninstalled notepad.exe.

It's like asking the author of a detective story to conveniently write notes with clues relevant to the investigation on the side of every page of a book, so we can "avoid the tedium" of taking mental notes of what happens around the detective, and reach the solution of the case predigested, like most of the entertainment industry does nowadays with its products.

Thank you, but no, thank you. You call pain in the butt, I call pleasure. Trash and treasure. There are countless other games happy to spoonfed you. Why insisting with one designed around an attention span longer than a few minutes?

Notice how the OP is dead wrong with his first assumption: Raymond does NOT ask for the hammer to be returned to him! It's not a typical "fetch me 10 murloc eyes" quest, because in this case you FIRST find the item, THEN you may remember or will know someone is looking for it. OP was clearly suggested to find and return the hammer, not by the NPC (he doesn't!) but by someone else. And he didn't find the item Raymond never asked him to find! We're sooo soulbound (!) into this accept-quest/fetch it/turn-quest cliche' that we never even IMAGINE there can be something else on the plate.

Not checking every corner of Solace Bridge and missing the hammer? No big deal, the quest will never be completed, because the player may be totally oblivious of a side quest starting when he stumbles upon the hammer lying on the remains of the northwest wall of the burned house (spoiler!). The main story will be still completed, and what basically amounts to an easter egg will be found only by a few keen eyes. And some paper notebooks.

3. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

A very interesting read, thank you.

Yeah, it's material from 14 years ago (EVE was not even in beta back then, WOW would be released two years later), referencing papers from 2000 and 2001 (UO was three years old back then), but still, a very interesting system to gauge players' dedication.

So, to reiterate: is this a request for floating question marks in a side/semi-hidden quest, to cater to the green left-side of the graph? :D

J/k

Phydra likes this.
  4. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

Raymond's Hammer can be located at...
    South West Corner of the burned down building laying on the stone foundation wall of the buildings remains
    [​IMG]

Draugur2, enderandrew, Krohon and 5 others like this.
  5. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

The hammer always appears, being a quest item. I started in Highvale and made my way to Solace Bridge to complete the quests associated with the location. Raymond's hammer being one of them. You pick it up, and another copy will appear in a few seconds. I've just picked up another copy. Of course, Raymond will take only one from you.

Numa and Krohon like this.
  6. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

I've been in the second Solace Bridge scene and found the hammer. This quest works. Returning the hammer to Raymond gives you an reward in Gold and EP

Krohon, Mata and GreyMouser2 like this.
  7. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Forgot to do this one this time, ty Rofo for the pic of where it is. :)

Krohon and Mata like this.
  8. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I think it's hard to understand maybe where it might be, but on second and third run through (not normal for first-time players), you realize he's a carpenter building houses.. and the house the hammer is found 'in' is only half completed being built.. sorta clues, but could use some polish :)

Krohon likes this.
  9. gweniver

gweniver Avatar

The hammer was very hard for me to find without the spoiler since the lighting within the burnt building is very poor. I went in during the day, and the inside of the building was dark to the point where I hardly see details on the floor. My brightness was turned up all the way also. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Krohon likes this.
  10. Krohon

Krohon Avatar

Inside the building I find the light a bit dimmer, not even dark.

You can try adjust the video settings ingame (<Esc> and then click on Video), or use your video card controls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.