Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Questgivers wave after giving a quest

Discussion in 'Release 41 Feedback Forum' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Apr 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

At Solace Bridge Outskirts the questgivers still wave with their electric, sparkling hands even after I talked to them and they gave me the quest. I can even talk to them again and get the quest over and over again.

Shouldn't they stop waving and telling me about the quest after I talked to them about it once and accepted the quest?

2. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

Quest givers will wave their sparkly hands when they have a quest for you or if you are currently on a task for them. They won't wave their hands if they have never had a quest for you, or if you have completed all their quests.

3. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

This feels a bit strange. I am used from other games that once I accepted a quest the NPCs don't offer them again.
    It feels as if they have another task for me but after I talk to them they offer the same quest.
    Maybe another animation would help which shows that the NPC is waiting for us to complete the quest...

Pickley, Sir Cabirus and Stundorn like this.
  4. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

What about a "hush hush go to work" Animation, but this maybe correlates with other players who should be waved at.

5. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Wasn't it said that the NPCs just wave at one player? E.G. that only he seesm them waving when he doesn't have the quest yet? And others who already did the quest wouldn't see the NPC waving?

6. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

This would mean they already have some sort of phasing technologie?!?
    I doubt it.

7. Cobra101

Cobra101 Avatar

This doesn't need phasing.

All you are changing is the image perceived by your character of a very minor animation.

But the option that used to be there for quest givers to shimmer blue seems to have gone.
    I'm not sure I liked it but I could see it being helpful.

Stundorn likes this.
  8. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Not exactly. Remember this is 3d, not 2d sprites like uo

9. Cobra101

Cobra101 Avatar

This sort of thing doesn't require phasing.

In EQ2 NPCs would always look at you as you passed. It was quite spooky actually and I'm not sure why they did it.
    However in those days I 2-boxed a lot and with two characters both at the same NPC, the NPC was looking directly at each character on two screens side by side.

Phasing is more about total environment change.

Anyway I can test this easily enough by doing the same thing in SotA.

10. yarnevk

yarnevk Avatar

Real phasing is when the quest causes a consequential change in the environment or the NPC. i.e. the arsonists goes to jail after you see him burning the buildings, but all the new players that have not progressed that far in the quest chain see the buildings before they got burnt and the arsonist still on guard.

All they are doing here is having the client play the animation rather than the server, it has absolutely no impact on the story or the environment. It is the exact same trick as the blue glow, just done with animations rather than textures. ESO does a similar thing when you enter a conversation, all the other players fade out and the NPC turns to talk to you. Nobody on the server sees that, it is all done on the client.

Phasing is when everyone else that made the same choices as you also sees the same post choice state of the scene as you because the server instance has changed and you have been invisibly moved to it. It requires having a multiverse of instances in different states, rather than copying the same state to all instances. SOTA cannot do that in PC housing towns.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.