Question for long time backers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SamRothstein, Jul 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamRothstein

SamRothstein Avatar

Do you find it difficult to stay hyped about the final wipe and final release after you've been apart of up to 31 iterations of the game? I wonder if this is a downside of the backer and early access model that your long time backers and most die hard fans get burnt out by the time the game launches?

2. Deides

Deides Avatar

Just bought DOOM on steam, go do the same.

Mac R likes this.
  3. Dhanan

Dhanan Avatar

I've backed this game at the very beginning. I've played every single release to date. I am as excited as ever for the final wipe! I would go so far as to say that I am as excited as I am because I've played through all the releases thus far. Every single month there are major updates to SOTA for me to read about and explore. It's really just the best. <3

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Of course it's going to be different for everyone but short answer: No. :)

5. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

I'm finding it very difficult to be hyped for the final wipe from the POV that the game initially emerged as something I didn't like the look of. Gave it a lot of goodwill over the years but it hasn't really gotten better.

6. Mortanius

Mortanius Avatar

Been around only since 14, and I am excited for the final wipe. The past few releases have seemed to improve the visuals/ overall experience very nicely... it only get's me more hyped. I am also looking forward to releases after final wipe, as well. I hope to get many years out of this game and future episodes.

7. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

I am quiet suspension of criticism right now... just hoping enough improves. It has twisted and turned a lot, and not always in the way I thought the Kickstarter led me to believe. But I do like it.

However, to talk about the releases, I believe the schedule should have been every 2 months for a new release. That way there is more time to work on big things without having to defend the little decisions every single month. Also, the versions would be a lot more different and would keep people exploring and checking them more. Maybe the QA server every month, but the main server should have been every two.
    I would not have known this opinion until going through it all the iterations (been a long time).

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  8. Lord Blackthorne

Lord Blackthorne Avatar

Honestly, I really only check in once per launch now. I was getting very burned out, so I took a long break.

I tried multiple play throughs on earlier releases (26, 28, 29) to see what style of play I would enjoy. Since then, again, only check in once or twice per release to see how things are coming along.

I'm currently playing competitive Overwatch and just waiting for July 28.

I'd really advise playing other games right now to give yourself a break. And be encouraged - if you logged in when the game first started... there was barely anything. People hung out in this tiny inn in what I think was owl's head. Super glitchy/buggy. Now look at Brittany, how amazing it looks, how fleshed out it is. Insane. Be encouraged.

We know RG and the team know how to build good games. That's what brought us all here. Let's have some faith and keep looking ahead :)

9. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

I too was starting to burn out, so I too took a break this release and a bit last release as well.

I am still exited about things I heard to come though.. The Darklord invasions sound really cool ( especially when they invade POTs too ).
    They also keep on adding lots of stuff so its still interesting to keep on visiting.. :)

Solazur likes this.
  10. Mortanius

Mortanius Avatar

+1... Bethesda did the franchise justice. I was pretty surprised, really. Doom feels like old school Doom, with a nice "current gen" paint. With 40% off of Steam right now, it's a steal.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  11. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

Not at all. Being the first time I participated in an open alpha, I did not know what to expect, but now I do. I have learned many things and opened my mind to a new experience. After all is said and done, even going to the moon wasn't a sure thing, but they eventually got there. Bring on the best, I think we have seen the worst, so it is time to move on to better. Remember not to stress, even dev's would have heart attacks if they took everything too seriously.

12. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I think all the long term backers with lot deeds are very excited for the land rush.

13. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

I'm still excited for the wipe and subsequent release, although I haven't really logged in much lately. With out the hat quests in combination with the combat changes a few releases ago, I don't really have much to do. I just log in to claim a lot and look at the new towns. I'll be playing a lot more during and after r32.

14. Acred

Acred Avatar

I've been playing SotA since Release 9 - clocking up at least an hour almost every day.
    I find varied things to do and try out and sometimes I even find a bug to help squash.

Yes, I am still excited and still busy training myself to conquer every new change and obstacle thrown in my Avatar's path.

Hornpipe, Venusian and Sara Dreygon like this.
  15. Blackghost

Blackghost Avatar

Yes, way below my expectations.

agra likes this.
  16. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

I haven't burned out on it, as there are new things every release. New content, changes to existing things, etc., so it is not the same old same old.

Hornpipe and Scraps MacMutt like this.
  17. agra

agra Avatar

There are ways to maintain the hype, Portalarium isn't using them. Their choice & consequences to enjoy.
    This development team has never exposed or been explicit about the hard numbers behind the scenes in the game. As a result, they force players to guess about everything, which is punitive for such a long 'testing' duration.
    I hate this development model, and would never use it nor recommend it. Either be transparent, or be opaque. This "DLMB" nonsense is just insulting to their customers.
    Frankly, I'm happy we're moving to R32, so that they can be held accountable for a production/live game. Maybe they'll finally start taking bugs seriously and fix what's broken rather than completely changing core systems whenever they feel like it.

Ice Queen and Blackghost like this.
  18. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

No. In every release there is something new. I like playing and discovering in each release. Keeps it fresh.

Hornpipe and Scraps MacMutt like this.
  19. Scraps MacMutt

Scraps MacMutt Avatar

I played some of the very early releases and the game looked extremely rough, so I took a really long break then came back around Release 20. I was very impressed and encouraged by the improvements. I've been playing every release since. Steam says I've got about 700 hours logged in so far, so if I were going to get burned out I think it would have happened by now. I've tried playing other games but SotA keeps pulling me back.

I don't agree with every design decision that's been made but overall I still find the game entertaining and I think it still has the potential to be something special. However, I'm much less excited about final wipe than I am about launch. I'm eager to see how the game will look and play come launch.

20. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

Its hard over such a long time to stay interrested. And there are a lot of designe changes and they way port develop the game that i cant understand or like.
    But it is what it is. For i never would put so much money into the game again.

I wish portelarium and all the players that they will make something owsem but i cant see it anymore and i truly wish it wasnt the way it is

Xandra7 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.