Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Question for you tech types on crash files

Discussion in 'Release 7 Feedback' started by Mingo, Jun 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

--Hail there oh techno wizards! Once I could play SOTA up until about R4. Now I show up in Owl's head, and run and crash. I have posted many crash files in the bug forum.
    --I hope some of you player tekkies are looking at the crash files, those of you who can interpret the signs and wonders contained therein. I also hope someone either a) finds a workaround or b) helps the TekDevs with their code so those of us who are blocked can play once again.

2. mike11

mike11 Avatar

post your all your system details for starters.. OS type hardware GPU etc... Router? Firewall? Antivirus??

post screen shot of your crash if you can also.

All I can tell you is that some certain things do cause crashes more than other things.

3. smack

smack Avatar

Hopefully they'll look at your bug reports and see what's going on. My cursory look at them seems to point at one major issue: memory management. We know the clients are using gobs of memory and there's still tons of work the devs need to do to optimize this. However, looking at your specs, you're going to face some tough issues with only 3GB of physical memory until they can get their memory consumption way down. As you've probably noticed first hand, memory consumption has gone through the roof in the last few releases, which is why your system is basically in an unplayable state for any length of time.

I'm sure it's been suggested before, but to reduce memory use, kill every program you have running on your system. Also, make sure your graphic setting is on Fastest, turn off shadows, turn off antialising, turn off ambient occlusion, and reduce the resolution as low as possible.

4. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

turn off anti aliasing eh? k hadn't heard that before. thx. 3gb of memory is low these days? sheesh.... I have started posting specs on computer in crash report...at least what I get from typing "system" in the start bar thing.
    sorry guyz I'm not that computer literate....I decided not to go into computers because I hated punch cards.

5. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

--well thanks. tried your suggestions (antialiasing was already off). I guess 3GB isn't enough ram. It used to be, for R1-R3.

6. Sir Korvash

Sir Korvash Avatar

Looked at your system specs in the other thread, and bear in mind, i am not the best techy out there, but from what i could see, I think the 3gb of memory will be an issue now. in R6, i was maxing out at the 2gb limit that sota had, and it was crashing the game. very similar to what your crash dump shows. Now, with R7 and the 64-bit build, i've peaks at just under 4gb of memory for SotA alone. System is sitting at 32gb total, so not an issue for me.

If possible, i would say, look at upgrading your system, as it is fairly limited. Also, bear in mind that the game is far from optimized currently, and is not even coming close to correct memory usage.

7. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

What kind of system do you have? Intel or other..

This is really something to look into, if you only have 3gb of memory, that probably means your using only 3 slots for the memory boards (2x 512k + 1x 2gb, or you have 3x 1gb in 3 slots, or 1gb + 2gb) ,the thing with memory slots on a motherboard is the chip set scans the memory slots to see if a slot is populated (and the size/speed of the boards), if the mb supports "duel" channel memory, it will see the first two slots populated and may set up this feature. There is no problems until your memory usage goes over what the first 2 slots have in them, and if the cpu writes data to the next bank of memory (which is supposed to have both slots populated), then there's a crash.

A crash may happen if the "timing" of all your memory boards is different, the mb doesn't know, and treats all boards as if they have the same timing. You could just pull out the 3rd board and see if the crashing goes away, as a test.

Next I would run the "repair" utility by booting to your windows cd and choosing repair. There is a memory scan feature that will see if your memory is good, if it fails, then you can try to narrow the boards down by pulling the 2nd board and running the memory test again. Check each board one at a time to narrow it down to "which" board is bad. If it's lifetime memory you can get it replaced from the factory (you have a receipt, right). Check your mb spec's to see what memory configuration/speeds it will support.

If your OCing (overclocking), stop for now and go back to your default BIOS settings or Optimized settings.

If this is a MAC forget everything or a Pad....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.