Quests that can not be completed in a single sitting.

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Arcadia, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arcadia

Arcadia Avatar

I have played a lot of mmorpg games and I really like long quest lines that give special meaningful rewards. The kind of quests that can't be completed in a single game session.

Some examples would be:
    The (optional) betrayal quest in EQ2.
    The quest to unlock use of subjob in FFXI
    Quest lines to unlock new areas/dungeons (like those old attunement Quests in WoW or the old EQ2 quests that unlocked the travel bells)
    Quests which require collecting various hard to get things and combining them to make something new like a weapon.

I would love to see some quests in SotA that are deep, meaningful and take a while to complete :)

2. A_Ridable_Llama

A_Ridable_Llama Avatar

I'm hoping for UO style "quests" rather than EQ/WoW style quests.

3. Machuell

Machuell Avatar

With the way he's focusing on the single player story line and having the multiplayer designed around that, I'd say it's likely we'll see a lot of quests that take a long time and feel worth it in the end as well.

4. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

Ridable llama, i agree with you. This is SotA and it deserves its own breed of quest types. Richard Garriot explicitly said, he does not want to have the exclamation point npc straight-line questing.

I would like to be able to take care of my life while playing this game. I cannot simply ignore my girlfriend all day long. i would like to be attentive to life-needs as well.

It would be nice to be able to begin a quest, and if something pops up in real life, pause the quest until i am able to complete it. Or at least receive a limited reward.

For instance,

1/4 of a quest complete = 1/4 of the reward

Isaiah MGT470 likes this.
  5. Lord Bruce

Lord Bruce Avatar

I like the idea but would hope they are not linear. I'd like the ability to have multiple active, complex quests that might cross paths during normal gameplay. It would be a bummer to get into a quest and have to finish it before moving on to something else.

6. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Seconded. I love the complex quests that have you searching about and scratching your head and wandering the entire world searching for answers.

There's been such a lack of innovative storytelling in games lately it makes me angry.

If I have to kill x of any creature for a quest, RG, I swear, one of these days...
    POW! Right to the moon.

7. Robert Reise2

Robert Reise2 Avatar

For the main story quest, I'm sure it is going to be super epic, super long and offer excellent rewards at the end.

As for what Chris called "missions" I think there should be a few master missions which become available after completing a specific group of side missions and gaining favor from a few npc's to further the process along.

Take 4 NPCs. Harold Asterton, Rolland Aquielero, Sep Forman and Hugo.

Sep Forman is a carpenter. You often see him when restocking your basic lumberjack tools. One day (After you have attained a certain skill in chopping wood) He asks you to do a few menial tasks for him like get a can of linseed oil for him, or saw down a type of rare maple wood. After completing everything he asks, he will give you the message, "I can't thank you for all the help you have given me, please if you have need of me, don't hesitate to ask."

Hugo is a struggling actor in the local theater group. You see him performing in the town square when you pass through the quaint township of Pendelton. After tipping him a coin, he starts talking to you, relieved for your patronage after a full day of rejection. He begins speaking of a girl he knows. He asks you to give her a note. The cute, but slightly crass barmaid at the Snorting Snout tells you she wants nothing to do with the poor street urchin. She's throws the note in your face. After reading it, you understand that Hugo's confession of love must not be left unnoticed. So you vow to help Hugo win her hand.

After winning the loyalty of these two local townspeople you have the opportunity to approach the lofty lord's manor Rolland Aquielero. I won't get into too much more detail, but suffice to say, you must also pass a test for him to feel you are no longer beneath his company. After which you meet Harold Asterton, a surveyor and prospector for the Legendary Lord British. This opens up more possibilities for the player to follow.

The culmination of doing quests, increasing your skill, gaining approval, unlocking relationships all lead to a loftier premise for the player to follow to eventually leading to great accomplishment and reward. This is not attainable by simply doing 15 Lord British quests and then you get a key to a chest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.