Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Quick FAQ on the new targeting stuff.

Discussion in 'Release 29 Feedback Forum' started by Chris, Apr 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Starting a FAQ on this. I think this information is mostly in the readme but that thing is crazy long these days and I don't blame you for not reading:

• You can toggle off the camera being locked to the mouse and go back to the old right click to turn mode. You can disable it for combat in the options and then you'll never have to use that mode again.
    • Targeting for melee has been using this system and only using your facing for at least 4 releases. The only thing that changed with targeting is for non-AE ranged stuff.
    • We're putting the mouse move stuff back in for patch one, due out later today.
    • Healing will be adjusted probably by patch 2 to offer ground targeted healing options. So you target an area, like with fireball or blink, and then it heals that area. Healing touch will be switched to a short range AE heal.
    • You can fade out your reticle in the options if you don't like it. More options will come for that soon.
    • Mouse sensitivity can now be adjusted on horizontal and vertical separately for those who find it too sensitive now.
    • YOU DON'T HAVE TO HAVE THE TARGET UNDER THE RETICLE. Most spells have a 90 degree arc and just use the center of the screen/reticle to pick the best target.
    • Emotes are HARD right now. Working on a fix.
    • Target is selected at the start of a skill/spell execution so sometimes it looks like you shoot at the wrong target if you don't realize this.
    • More changes coming. We don't believe it is done yet.
    • NEW: 'R' key was removed but I believe it will be readded in patch 2. We also added a new way to combo, just push 2 keys at once and it will combo them. Except for the extreme reach cases of 1 key to 10 key, we all found this much friendlier. Try it.!

Also, a really short video demonstrating a few aspects that might not be obvious:

Also, see Violations video below for a more detailed break down.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

With having the option to switch between the old and new mode, how will targeting work? Will tab-targeting be back?
    And how will you ensure that a player using the old mode doesn't have an advantage over a player using the new mode (or vice versa)?

3. Chris

There is no plan to add the old version back. Using tab will switch you to use the the non-locked camera mode that feels very much like the old system minus locked targets.

Soliwilos, OmniFusion1, Tahru and 5 others like this.
  4. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

is there any hope of getting the r command back?

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  5. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

Could the healing on ground effect be like a orb or half-orb/dome that highlights your party members? So if they're standing on top of a wall or elevated area you might not be able to see the ground but since they're highlighted you know it will heal them?

I haven't been able to login yet.. still patching - Does the F9 feature hide the reticle?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  6. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I'll just stick this here...

7. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

it's not needed anymore... just press both keys at once

8. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

its physically impossible to use my wasd and hit 2 keys together

9. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

:( sorry. It works for me so I didn't realize.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  10. Chris

We're adding the 'r' option back. I actually did not realize it had been removed.

11. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

THANK YOU! I'm not much of a hugger but right now, I feel i could lol.

12. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

So when getting swarmed by a bunch of things close together (like spiders) it's a crap shoot to stay focused on 1 at a time to kill it?

Womby, Ice Queen, Silverglade and 6 others like this.
  13. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

That angle is wide not enough for us to be able to take a nice screenshot or video of our avatars, though. We basically have to stop fighting while letting the mobs keep hitting us if we want to create a promotional contents for our game here. In the other words, it is now almost impossible to take a screenshot of yourself casting a spell at the target unless you have a super fast hand to pan the camera and then capture the screenshot before the spell animation is completed.

We now lost the tactical perspective game play that we used to have before in the past releases. I mean Dragon Age does allow you to do things this way, so people can enjoy observing their characters fighting the enemies, not just starting at their back and side rear.

Womby, Gravidy and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  14. agra

agra Avatar

• no auto attack indicator (is it currently active? on? attacking? impossible to tell, currently)
    • weapons that hit multiple targets need a hard target for adjacency calculations (2h sword, polearm, 2h bludgeon), currently they are broken and don't hit more than one target.
    • it's impossible to tell the health of your enemy, currently, because there's no hard target anymore. Even with nameplates on, the player nameplate overwrites/covers up the nameplate of the nearest enemy/enemies. related, it's impossible to tell the health of enemy targets at a range that is greater than nameplate visibility range
    • any spells that have a range no longer show accurate range because they have no hard target. They just show active all the time, which is totally broken/wrong.
    • You can no longer see if attacks land, or any status effects or any negative effects are on any targets of any kind (dots, debuffs, snare, root, stun, knockdown, knockback, ae's) without explicit/hard targets.
      Given there are no indications in the combat log for misses of non-melee attacks, and DoT's, Debuffs, AE's, or any similar combat messages do not log when they miss, start or stop, it's impossible to measure in any quantifiable way, even visually that anything is working as intended or indeed, if (almost) anything is working at all.
    • Pets are auto-targeted when in front of the player

15. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

:p
    [​IMG]

16. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

and this has been a peoblem and will continue to be one - what / how is the "best target" decided this shold not be a game mechanic this is a player choice.

Been an issue for ages and now is part f the system???? The game has no right deciding which target to hit, when the player has chosen one.

Oninoshiko, Womby, Bluefire and 8 others like this.
  17. Chris

Good call on the autoattack indicator, that has annoyed me too.
    DOH! just confirmed that you are correct. Bug entered, Patch 2. I didn't know this was the case.
    Getting them close to the reticle shows it BUT should show it more. Working on a solution for this, it is a problem.
    Known, working on a fix for this. Will grey out if no valid targets.
    No message in for misses in the attack log is a bug. Should also say in the message whether it was a miss on target X or if you swing at nothing and hit it!

Great feedback, Thanks! Agree on almost all points!

18. Chris

So if we decide for immersion sake that we want the player to hit the thing in front of them, we're not allowed to do that? Currently that is how it is working but we will investigate a soft target system like ESO's if it feels like this is a huge issue. The soft target system still requires you to aim but if there are more than one valid targets, it will hit the one you have targeted instead of the visually best target.

19. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I think this makes perfect sense, but can be confusing for players used to throwing a fireball past many other targets right in front of them (which I think should not be possible with most targeted spells). I would not want to see aiming become unrealistic.

20. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I think that should depend on the skill. ESO was a flop... don't copy them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.