Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

quick note on obsidian chips

Discussion in 'Release 44 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Merlota, Jul 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

Bottom line here, rules are rules and all of us in Dev+ agreed to them, as was stated above. Posting in General with information is simply inexcusable, it is not for us to decide what to disclose to the community or not. Many things are released on QA and then pulled back. It is a test server for a reason, things can be evaluated without effecting the live community on a whole. However we may or may not feel about any proposed changes, or how they were implemented...taking matters into your own hands is just unacceptable. This should not have been done.

Net, EMPstrike and Senash Kasigal like this.
  2. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

that's thier primary reason for keeping dev+ private is that stuff that might cause panic is not finalized yet. It could very well be that this is changed before release and this entire discussion would have been for nothing.

3. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Oh I totally get it and of course I'm spoiled because I already have my full set of Obsidian Plate. Though I agree with you on the crafting front. It's the grindiest most tedious aspect of the game, which is why I don't do it. ;)

EclipseMaiden likes this.
  4. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Love your Lawful Neutral alignment there! :D ;)

5. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

I posted this knowing the rules were being broken and accepting the consequences.

Players/speculators were already taking advantage of early information. To stop fraud everyone needs to know what is going on.

Humbert_Humbert, Numa, eli and 2 others like this.
  6. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Chaotic Good?

Sir Leonard, amarious, Numa and 2 others like this.
  7. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

TOTALLY!! Great call Rufus! :) :D

8. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I think they should take action on this violation of the rules. I've never seen this poster before and the post count is low so it is probably an alt. Match up IP's and band all IP's from that address in the dev+. It's not this persons right to by the jury on these things.

<-- Chaotic Good

Spinok, Retlaw and King Robert like this.
  9. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

Well played sir, well played. :)

10. mass

mass Avatar

This seems a strange thing for Devs to post in the Dev+ forum. It is not helpful for testing purposes. There are not enough people and there is too short of a timeline to test the impact of this change on the economy on the QA server. The only way to test it is on the live server. How is it helpful for the game's development to release this information for Dev+ members and not the rest of the population? It only seems to serve to give Dev+ members an economic advantage, which I did not think was the purpose of Dev+ status.

Lazlo and Fister Magee like this.
  11. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

lets not pretend that the info from dev+ is actually kept there and everyone is not chatting away about it ingame or discord ect...

but it is funny watching the people try to make plays on obs chips lol.

Whitestag likes this.
  12. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

1) This is a pretty brutal nerf to something that, afaik, wasn't broken.

2) For something like this, either everyone should know ahead of time or no one should know ahead of time.

3) It would be helpful if now that this is out here, we were either given the OK to talk about it or not. This is awkward.

Xandra7 and Fister Magee like this.
  13. Gix

Gix Avatar

I don't see why anyone is up in arms about this sort of thing. Anyone who invests real money in a virtual economy in a video game (an incomplete one, no less) is asking for trouble.

We are here to test. Devs, don't hide stuff from us; you getting data from a smaller pool. OP, don't break the rules that you agreed with the devs; it furthers breaks their trust and, in turn, makes them do things like this more often.

Does increasing the rarity of an item increase the variety of items (and how they're acquired) in the game overall? Isn't that a good thing? Can the consequences of this change make the game more enjoyable? If there are issues, shouldn't that highlight bigger problems to solve instead?

Rufus D`Asperdi likes this.
  14. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Yeah I was looking in the marketplace and saw Skyo, Boedy Arc and some other buying up obsidian chips I wondered what I was missing.

I later saw the dev+ post, but there were plenty of dev+ users expressing concerns to the devs already and the chips were already bought by those who acted on the confidential information, perhaps they will cancel the changes, perhaps not, but this should still have been a chance for the developers to discuss, not posted in the non dev forum.

It doesn't affect me one way or the other since I'm neither buying nor selling obsidian chips and didn't have plans to get some obsidian armor.

Whitestag and Sir Leonard like this.
  15. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

Insider Trading?

EMPstrike likes this.
  16. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

All i know is that suddenly there was a bidding war over my obsidian chips :D suddenly they are worth something again

Numa likes this.
  17. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

I'm kind of in the same boat as @Lord Andernut. I don't really have any intentions of making obsidian armors (maybe a weapon or two, but certainly not a whole suit of plate) and I don't plan to buy/sell any chips because I tend to use them as spell reagents. So, this change won't really affect me personally.

But it can/will affect many others who intended to craft these items at some point.

However, I'm not 100% certain that this impending change will affect the economy as much as you might think. If the Dev+ people who have been buying them up since learning of this change are only collecting them to craft these items for themselves (not to sell for profit when the demand is higher) then it's not really all that big of a deal IMO.

The crafting system in SOTA is one where creating really good items requires losing countless destroyed versions before landing the one you are happy with. Chances are, most of these chips that were bought up will end up being destroyed by those collecting them anyway... it will just be at a discounted cost than others later on. So, these people taking advantage of the knowledge now will end up paying the same price as everyone else does later for these materials.

18. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Would be pretty funny if the change never made it in. Just because something is in the patch notes and on QA, isn't a 100% guarantee it makes it live.

Maybe they just wanted a bunch of metrics on the Obsidian forge ;)

Net and Daxxe Diggler like this.
  19. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I dont feel this info should have been released by portal and they just shoulda ninja launched this.

However others have lost thier dev + for less than this.

On one hand thanks on the other I expect you will lose dev+.

20. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Guess I need to dust off my dev+ account and get in on all this insider trading opportunities.

Yet another reason a wipe should have happened at launch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.