Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

quick note on obsidian chips

Discussion in 'Release 44 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Merlota, Jul 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Now that the cat is out of the bag so to speak though, my opinion is that this change should not even be made.

If the intention was to make Obsidian gear more "rare" then a better alternative would have simply been to change all the recipes to require a new ingredient that is a rare drop (maybe a special fuel source to use in lieu of a chunk of coal?)

That would have obtain the intended goal without affecting the existing economy at all.

2. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Unless they are going to add a mine full of obsidian nodes that can be freely farmed with little interference, this change makes absolutely zero sense to me.
    Considering you're looking at well over a million chips now to get a set of exceptional, "reasonably risked" masterworked/enchanted set (just 2x/2x), the fact that you can maybe get a couple hundred chips an hour has just made this armor take aproximately 5000 played hours to get. Which is a laugh, considering that's more than I've got - total - since persistence, by a large margin - and that would be completely dedicated chip farming, plus all the mining.

Do the math.

60,000 chips for a set
    x4 for exceptional (yeah, I know exceptional chance at GM has been bumped a couple percent, but still)

So 240,000 chips if you want to have 1 of each exceptional, statistically.

AT GM, success percentages are 95% and 83% for 1st/2nd masterwork enchant.
    Multiplying your odds of passing all four ( .95 x .83 x .95 x .83) = 62.1% will live.
    If you're level 120, this is slightly better (.95 x .86 x .95 x .86) = 66.74% will live.

Because only 62.1% will "survive", you need another 149040 chips to account for breakage.
    Now we're up to 389k chips.

This is just to NOT BREAK going for 2x/2x.

Actually getting the bonuses you want? 2 specific masterworks and 2 specific enchants? Too small a percentage to even bother calculating.
    Getting "reasonably ok" bonuses, probably about half the time, if you're lucky. (Reasonably ok being major stats, or minor stat that you want)
    That's 800k chips nearly and still no guarantee. In fact, its still pretty unlikely you'll get what you want.

If you're not fussy about chestpieces being exceptional, you can shave a bit, but the other pieces pretty much need to be exceptional to have enough durability to last you more than a few weeks of fighting in.

I'd have no problem spending 10 million gold on obsidian chips and the hundreds of gold/silver ingots needed if I could choose my bonuses and didn't have to deal with breakage even at skill levels way beyond GM. The fact of the matter is this armor has just priced itself out of having a purpose. Even if you did manage to make it, I doubt you'd want to actually wear it and get it damaged.

Even before this pointless change to obs chips, the nice pieces I do have I don't use because they're too expensive to replace.
    10x as much? Really?

3. Gix

Gix Avatar

Why bloat the game with ingredients if the issue can be resolved by increasing the amount of a given already-existing ingredient? Another alternative would be to just make the gear require more ingots.

4. dreamlarp

dreamlarp Avatar

Well said. For a game that was stated to be for crafters this is insane. it's not making items rare it's killing any market for these items as well as just making your own set. They are trying to manufacture the market the way they think it should go. But this is not the way to do it. This just causes yet more rage quitting. The whole point of the bone armor was to have more durra so we might be able to get a 4/4 but with the rare drop rate and the insane crafting % the bane armor was a fail for what they said it was for. his is just another bungled attempt at control. We are not stupid children. Make a fair system and let us play. STOP WITH THE CONTROLLING THE MARKETS! They are just not qualified to do this. it's just not fun to play all week to have everything you worked for break. This is a game it's not supposed to be a job.

discipleofweb, FrostII and kaeshiva like this.
  5. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Chris
    Please read what @kaeshiva lays out below, and re-consider the effect of the change.

6. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Because my suggestion would not allow Dev+ players the opportunity to take advantage of "insider knowledge" like they apparently already are doing.

Increasing the number of ingots required won't do anything different than requiring more chips (except perhaps on a smaller scale, depending on the number of ingots increased).

Adding 1 more fuel item isn't really bloating the game, is it? It won't even be that hard to add it to the game either... use the same graphic as coal (maybe a different color/shade?) and rename it "Chunk of Anthracite" (burns hotter than typical bituminous coal).

7. Sir Leonard

Sir Leonard Localization Team

Well, the post inn Dev+ is still up, although only a few people have responded (OP is one of them).

Certainly my goal (in which I read the details from another Dev+ backer) was to try and "reason" that this change is either unnecessary, or to at least get expectations if obsidian armor is to be buffed so hard that enchant/masterwork would not be necessary at all...

Also to compare it with bone armor, the other side of the coin, that usually is far better and easier to craft.

Anyway, at the time I posted, the "Obsidian Rush" was already ongoing and the damage was done. Now either people will just go for ingots and sit on them waiting for the nerf and then selling them for 10x profit or try to craft as many pieces as they can for personal use (since the selling price will skyrocket)...

Not to mention, crafters that already have them are laughing out loud, since their profit is now guaranteed to happen.

I personally disliked this changes to the depts of my soul. IMO, this is just a way to people who gets privileged information to profit. I also tried to buy as many chips i could to try and protect myself, since being a plate melee user, I am the one being damaged now.

Now, the damage is done and there is no way back... market has moved. Now there is only one way out: scrap obsidian armor entirely. This way you won't create multi-millionaires out of thin speculative behavior.

But wait, scrap?

No... don't destroy current armor, but make them "obsolete" versions of armor and ingots, crafted with unempowered chips. (Actually just let them like they are now)...

And buff the hell out of the new ingots so they will craft an armor so strong that is not meant (or even capable of) to be enchanted. The ultimate plate.

This is the only way to stop the damage, because unempowered ingots crafted the "normal" version in which is unchanged, and empowered ingots will craft the mighty version.

@Chris @DarkStarr i am sorry pal... but I think this is the only way now. This is too much of an economic impact and these kinds of changes cannot come out recklessly like that, you just create a class of privileged people regardless of your intentions doing moves and messing up with existing items like this.

We aren't released but we are LIVE already.

Hope you guys take this in consideration.

Cheers

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    ZeCarlos, Beli, Fister Magee and 2 others like this.
  8. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

The problem with this is before persistence things did not have PERMENANT affects. As it is now and already said players are ALREADY working one end or the other on the marketplace, is this was Wall Street that would be considered insider trading.

That is the problem some player have knowledge that could be used to sway and take advantage of player without.

Piss Poor, and needs to be fixed.

Cahnged or not before actuialy publication if somone now goes out and buy as many as they can, and after because of theis change they are worth 2x or more they have taken COMPLETE advantage of other players.

B
    A
    D

9. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

I like your idea Daxxe. Let me expand on this a bit. How about that new fuel cannot be mined by anyone with less than GM Mining survey or higher to make Mining Survey worth raising. This might be an easy quick fix while keeping the other mats numbers intact for the set. This might also stop the shitstorm that just hit. R/Boris/El Pirata

Daxxe Diggler likes this.
  10. Sir Leonard

I indeed recognize the "insider trading" movement happening, but I think that worse than that is creating multimillionaires out of thin air: people who already sit in obsidian stocks (ingots, armor pieces, swords, etc) that would INSTANTLY have their assets valued 10 times more. Even if they don't move a muscle now...

This is just unfair and nasty... making one ubber rich by decree.

This is why you can't simple change recipe requirements on the fly anymore and every change must be thinked carefully.

11. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

They can change whatever they want, we are not in "Full Release"

THE ISSUES IS SOME PLAYERS HAVE KNOWLEDGE ARE WILL (ARE) TAKING ADVANTAGE OF IT WHILE OTHERS DO NOT KNOPW THEY ARE BEING DUPED.

12. Sir Leonard

Yeah, and with this excuse (we are not in "full release" - whatever this means, cause persistent means released), you create billionaires out of thin air, who were selected merely because they were randomly tinkering with a part of the RELEASED game changed on the fly recklessly.

No, sorry, still not acceptable. At all.

13. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

you are totally missing the point, no one and even I agree that changes can affect the economy, that is not the problem, the problem is that if you are playing the game NOW, but do not know about the change coming because you are Dev+ authorized you could be completely taken advantage of. Some players are already doing it.

If ANY change is public and ALL players know about it, it is irrelevant if it turn a Onion into Million Gold piece or not, if you had/have one it change for all. That is in the Understanding you agree to when you log in.

BUT if you have and onion and I do not but I know it will be worth 1 million in 7 days and you know it only to be worth 5 gold as of now and I buy yours for 6 gold, you think you made a great deal and in 7 days I just made - 999,994 gold.

I know you understand but you addition to the thread is not valid, sorry.

I know I say not to banter on forums and I am done after this.

There is clearly a problem, with dev+ knowledge.

The real question is will the developers see and take proper action????

14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I dont think people intending to use thier chips are trying to sell them

15. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I hate to say this but I agree, the info advantage for dev + must come to a end.

The server test is one thing with aome things they NEED us to test should remain in. Big changes like these should impact everyone the same.

The availabilty argument I dont agree with. I get them all the time and usually vendor them, ok in retrospec im an idiot ;).

Obs stuff will need to be buffed to be useful though.

nonaware likes this.
  16. Sir Leonard

And I'll insist that the problem is not only privileged information (and if you want to keep hitting the subject, go on), but for me this is the least of them...

The problem is indeed changing existing rare item requirements ON THE FLY... this shouldn't happen, like EVER. Cause now you created millionaires out of nothing.

A guy having a stockpile of obsidian armor and ingots will just get absurdly wealthy in a week for a game that has real money market, regardless of privileged information or not. Maybe he can get rich even being on a vacation from game.

It is not only discovering an oil camp in your backyard but having an "outer power" planting it there for you.

Existing recipes can't be changed so drastically like that without causing massive repercussions, devs should be aware of that, no matter if they release it to public or keep it secret and hit it live without further warning. (Mild changes are okay, as long as they do not break the system entirely... before breaking systems, consider just replacing them for something else).

ZeCarlos likes this.
  17. Sir Leonard

@Berek this really needs to be brought to the other dev's attention.

Thanks.

18. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Or just have all currently made bricks turn into stacks of chips of the amount on the old recipe...

19. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I dont agree with this because this is the figure out how to make the game good phase. If it was after retail launch I might agree a little more.

20. redfish

redfish Avatar

I didn't even see anyone ask the devs to release the information themselves, either in the forums or in the Discord channel, but I may be wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.