Quit Leeching Off Us - IDIOT

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by By Tor, Mar 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

So, saw some avatars in a siege the other day. Decided to run in, with no thought to myself, and help some fellow players. After helping them kill some bad guys, I asked: "Do you want any of this loot?" Not that I wanted or needed it - but asked just to be courteous all the same. One player said "take it". Then, he said "Quit leeching off us! Go away!" I asked why he was acting that way. He said "we cleared this area and you come in stealing our loot.. IDIOT" I told him he was rude and went my separate way. Eventually, he said if I was trying to help, he should have joined us. I was tempted to say not with people like him.. but I joined him anyway. We all died numerous times and the battle was won. But the bitter taste in my mouth never went away.

I don't share stories like this because they're so rare. Most players are very polite and virtuous. But - please be polite to your fellow players. It makes people like me, who enjoy helping out fellow avatars, want to stay in Friends Online and keep to myself. Which, I think, isn't really good for the game. Let's remember this game, for most of us, is about the community and helping one another. Not the other way around.

K1000, Net, Vrunk Hrrk and 31 others like this.
  2. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Ah, that's almost an mmo classic and a difficult topic.
    Did they need to be that unpolite?
    No.
    But than again for them it looked like you were stealing their loot.
    Should you have asked before you jump into the fight?
    Maybe. But than again if they would have needed help they might be dead before you can ask.
    Difficult topic as long as people are able to leech xp and steal loot.

3. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Well, for one thing - I wasn't there for loot. Quite the contrary. even told them I was just just trying to find the exit from the siege since I didn't know my way. Asked them if they wanted the loot. They said no. So, I was pretty disheartened by their sudden rudeness and uncalled for behavior.

Learned two sad lessons. Don't help those who don't ask for it and stay in friends mode most of the time.

4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Wow and yikes so sad. I do know what you mean. It is so surprising how what you think is happening is totally different than what the other person thinks is happening. I never want to steal anyone's kills or loot and yet I run into mistrustful people sometimes who have perhaps been soured by experiences with games prone to having people steal, plunder, and pillage from them;). Well it could happen more when we are released but imo now more often than not it is a lot of misunderstandings happen. Actually I mostly don't care about the loot and also like helping others the most.:)

Alexander, Luca Xante, Leelu and 4 others like this.
  5. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Its Portalariums fault of creating a world were cooperating keeps your back from achieving things. ;) Same as in PVP. Without some good vs evil or factions its just anarchy.

In fact what you were doing WAS stealing from them in their POV.

6. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

drop his name for some name shaming... LOL... kidding... I'm sure he knows who he is already... not really surprised... that happens in all MMORPGs... there are players who like to claim a spot as their own as if they paid exclusively for it... LOL... when that happens to me in other games, I just laugh and move on... sometimes I annoy them by staying even closer to them... LOL... but eventually, it's a waste of time so moving on is better... ^_^

Luca Xante, Leelu, Hornpipe and 2 others like this.
  7. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I would have thought that too .. but did ask them first. And after I died countless times, after being insulted first, once we killed those liches.. I didn't ask for a single thing off the bodies. Did they ask if I wanted my share? Of course not. But I wasn't there for the loot. Just here to help fellow avatars... even if they were rude ones. :)

K1000, Alexander, Luca Xante and 5 others like this.
  8. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

I understand you are disheartned but does not yield to the call of Friends online mode, please ! This kind of thing is inevitable in Multiplayer mode but it reminds us just how important empathy and sympathy can be :
    It's not as easy as it seems but I think it's very important.

I'm going to be the devil's advocate but maybe they did not understand your request about loot in the first place? Maybe they were angry ? Maybe all of this could be the effect of an incomprehension? English is not a native language for everyone here. What do you think ?

Alexander, By Tor, Luca Xante and 2 others like this.
  9. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Don't fall into drama trap. Next time just loot and said," Valor Bastagio sent his regards" and then just walk away..

K1000, Rennik, Vrunk Hrrk and 9 others like this.
  10. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Here's the thing... and it's not unique to this game in any way, shape or form, so take this as a comment "in general". Some people simply don't want to be helped. Simple as that.

Some people like to find a challenge and see if they can solo it or, if in a group, do it as a pair... or whatever the case might be. I understand the, "I want to help..." angle though; I do.

But basically, it's a situation that you never know the real answer to. Some people really like help in all forms... some people really hate it. By giving it, you have to take the good with the bad.

11. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

This is why I love farming in PVP scenes. I'm really not a fan of having my kills swooped in a PVE scene, but I also don't mind it when someone steps in to help. It's all situational. When childish remarks start getting pumped over local though, that's kinda ridiculous.

In PVP scenes though, no one is going to swoop a kill without earning it first.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    Alexander, By Tor, yarnevk and 3 others like this.
  12. fonsvitae

fonsvitae Avatar

@By Tor you're an exceptional person and you would be stealing from the community, particularly from the people mature enough to appreciate you, if you kept to yourself on FO (thereby robbing us of your presence).

The virtuous thing to do here is to not answer and behave according to the naysayer's deficiency of character but rather to answer and behave according to your (and everyone who appreciates you's) strength. Be ye virtuous.

Zhoc, Kara Brae, Thwip and 3 others like this.
  13. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Very much so. An experienced MMO player can usually make the call. Someone smashing multiple enemies with ease? They really don't need help. Someone running for their life? Dive in, go crazy.

They are simplifications, of course, but the general rule of thumb I work with is very much a situational thing which is going to vary. It's not as simple as, "I want to help, therefore people should let me..."

14. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

Well not everyone is nice although you would like them to be. Plus if it was a siege it was probably some ace loot :p (200g or something)

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  15. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

This comes down to the game design. Old school kill stealing making a return was a developer choice. The system could easily work that everyone who tags mobs gets full exp and loot. With that setup the only complaints would come from someone who wanted to see if they could solo something.

16. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I think regardless of your intentions, the game is setup so you assisting out of party is pretty much unheard of.

You cant heal out of party, and now you took their exp and loot.

Imo if you came up when i was low health ( was i actually needing help or were you just thinking i did ) and killed my mobs.. id bash you for kill stealing too.
    Its funny the people in this thread also were ones talking about flagged people ksing them all the time. To me, this is how it would come off.

Funny ghing is, sometimes ill die at start of a grind so i can loose my X amount of xp.. then play without paying attention so the deaths dont matter.
    Its also super easy to simply run out of leash range in SOTA.

Guess what im saying is irregardlesss of your intentions, the gamw is setup so that comes off as kill stealing. People can act like this is * just some bad mmo players * but i assure you if i Ks any of them, id get pretty much the same reaction.

Essentially , sorry they were rude, but sont kill stuff unless partied in SOTA imo.

Kaisa and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  17. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I agree that they should have said it to you nicer. I would have just run off to a new area.

But this game more then any I have ever played of people leaching and stealing mobs from me in the area I have farmed since its creation 9+ months ago and gotten adv lvl 91 solo in. I used to be the only one in the zone, the problem it is now so full of people no mobs spawn and people pretty much run around trying to kill mobs first without regard for the fact for example that Im already on a few of them, yes I can easily take them and they are purposely pulling them.

My solution has been to switch back to friends mode. Full zone of mobs, probably easily get my -10% exp back on volume easily.

18. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Typical MMO culture.

This is why sieges should have a far greater impact on players than they currently do. So that players just want the siege to be over with and are not worried about "the lootz".

Same thing for Control Points, Shardfalls, and really anything else in the game. Grinding and looting should be secondary to the events happening in the game.

19. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

Next time go into zone chat and ask if they need or want help....if they say NO then move on and leave them alone. Always check the zone to see who is there...make your presence known. Better to be friendly than piss someone off. I have ran into many scenes where there were people there doing the same as me...farming mats and killiing mobs for gold. I try to stay out of the area they are in but with everyone moving from spot to spot its often hard to avoid. Zone chat is a wonderful tool...that way everyone there has the chance to speak up. Also you might find a nice person or persons to group up with and have more fun. Don't hide in single player mode....come out and be with friends or make some friends to hang with

20. neveser

neveser Avatar

My wife and I actually never help anyone because of past experiences. I know that sounds bad but too many times I've been reprimanded for helping.
    We passed someone fighting a bear in Solace Bridge (wearing starter gear) and my wife asked me if I thought we should help. I said no and we kept moving. We came back around the corner a couple minutes later and they were dead. Later that evening we passed them in Soltown and thought they must have been saying to themselves "there's those jerks that didn't help me!"

Kaisa, Net, Sean Silverfoot and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.