Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

R13 Linux Performance Thread

Discussion in 'Release 13 Feedback' started by fooBrew, Jan 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fooBrew

fooBrew Avatar

I've been playing a few weeks on R13 now and I have to say that the performance is not good. I'm new to the game so this is my first release and I don't have any previous releases to compare it to.

Now that the Steam client supports FPS feedback on the game screen, I can give more objective numbers.

I'm playing full screen at 1920x1080 with all features disabled (shadows, blooming, etc.) and the "Fast" setting selected.

GPU: GTX650 TI Boost
    CPU: AMD FX-6350 Vishera 3.9GHz 6 core
    RAM: 8 GB DDR3 1866
    GPU Driver: NVidia 331.113

FPS
    Owls Head: 7-12 but it goes up to the low 20's around the edge of the city.
    All other areas: low to mid 30's.

As much as I absolutely love the fact SotA runs natively (without WINE!) on Linux, it's pretty much unplayable with the current performance. I play other games through WINE/CrossOver, such as Diablo III and Neverwinter, with far, far better performance than this so I don't think it's just my GPU but maybe I'm wrong (I would love to be wrong).

I'm still hopeful of a couple things. One, R14 will be on a new version of Unity. Hopefully, there will be Linux improvements there. Two, the game really isn't very optimized at all, especially in the big towns as the devs keep reminding us. However, I have been watching some youtube vids of Windows gameplay on R13 and it's shocking how much smoother and faster it is. Granted, I have no idea what hardware they're on so it could be like comparing guns and butter. Windows vs. Linux performance usually isn't that different from what I've experienced in the last 3-5 years with many games (AAA titles) so I'm not sure what the deal is here since there's not even any translation software involved.

I will say this, the game is very stable and I've only experienced a crash of the client maybe twice out of many sessions.

I'm very curious as to what kind of performance others are getting in Linux and what hw they're using. PLEASE POST!

Cheers,
    Foobrew

Tahru likes this.
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hi and welcome foobrew. Were you able to watch the latest Dev hangout video. They talked about performance issues on it and the switch to Unity 5 and asked for patience. There are things like setting your graphics down lower under options in the game.
    That has helped some. So as to Linux if I am telling you something that is not related to how Linux would work I'm sure someone will chime in. I just mentioned a few things that I've heard. :) Also I'm happy to help if I can. ***cheers***

Tahru likes this.
  3. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

My performance has gotten a lot better in the last couple weeks and the only thing I changed what doing the normal automatic kernel and driver upgrades. I am using Ubuntu 14 and have a high end Nvida card installed.

majoria70 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.