Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

R16 Novia overland /stuck needs to be to populated area

Discussion in 'Release 16 Feedback' started by Spoon, Mar 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I've now sorted out half a dozen of lost new (and old) players in game and forum.
    Since most parts of the Novia map is no content or high level content there really needs to be a fast way to get them back to civilization. (Preferably the starting area).
    /stuck
    Seems like the obvious choice.

Also consider putting in one of those user guide pop-ups when leaving the perennial coast. Saying "under construction / danger" or similar. Otherwise I'd expect a couple of more negative STEAM reviews.

2. Karuson

Karuson Avatar

Can't they zone out for now

3. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Yes, if they know someone, if that person is online, and if that person themself is in a populated/low level area.
    Lots of ifs instead of the simple instruction "Use /stuck".
    :p

4. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

why is there even /stuck possible on the overworld map? that just the perfect way to abuse, run half way and then type stuck to get to the next big town?

5. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

A
    When we had the bug that you fall through the ground, or when you ended up on the water and couldn't get back.
    So there are plenty of potential bugs out there that would mean a Character Delete to fix if there is no stuck command.
    B
    I suggested a different solution to the exploit thingie, and that was a 30sec countdown on the /stuck command. So that you would only use it if you need it.

Katrin Bekers [PeV] and Net like this.
  6. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Only need for Stuck in overland should bounce you up or down left or right a little bit to get you UNSTUCK. Players need to LEARN how to get around, they do not need shortcuts .

7. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Typically "/stuck" loads you to the last overland map location your client loaded, from there you should be able to find civilization... "/zone <player name>" needs an online player to /zone too... You can also /home, then log out/back in to the overland map for fast travel between Novia/Hidden Vale... Or even exit your home zone and appear back in Novia, ppl are calling it a bug, but it's just how the software is working for now...

A fellow Avatar made this map utilitie for the community, to find your way around easier: http://fenyx4.com/sota/map/map-finder.html

Just use the /loc and then paste into the search box in the upper left, and it will show you where your location is... I used it several times and it's very useful... My thanks to the person who created it...

8. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

You are barking up the wrong tree Weins and not thinking things through.

A
    If you fell through the map then "bouncing" wouldn't help
    B
    If you got stuck out at sea with no way back to land then "bouncing" wouldn't help

Both of those have happened and sometimes still do due to the changes done to the overland map.

But this was not about that. This was about getting a bad first impression of the game leading to bad STEAM reviews. Which is due to the new R16 decision to show us the whole Novian overland map, instead of only the parts with content.
    C
    When a new starting player exits Soltown & Solace bridge they know diddly about the overland. There is no map, no directions, nothing. Which is fine and dandy when the game is finished.
    But in this case if you head north along the road instead of south you go into "unfinished" territory without a warning. There is really only one scene there and that is Shardfall. New players don't know what a Shardfall means. Then its a big nothing and lots of walking around finding nothing and nothing and nothing and nothing until you hit either Graff Gem Mines or the other boat to another Shardfall.
    None of those scenes are for beginners.

So they die, die, die, die and die a lot. Their gear breaks and now they can't even fight MOBs their own size let alone bigger things.

So a simple choice of North or South determines if they will be very unhappy about the game or not.

So when they contact me, between nothing and dying, they are not happy.
    Since they see no landmarks with text they can't describe where they are thus preventing me from describing where they need to go.
    In R15 I could simply tell new folks to exit to overland map (if they were not there already) then use /stuck, and I could guide them to better places from there. That is no longer the case in R16 in Novia since stuck also brings them to nothing.

Katrin Bekers [PeV] likes this.
  9. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

In short, they can't ask us to rig positive reviews on Steam, then leave total noobs in a huge, empty, deadly map without any way to understand what they are supposed to do and where to go with a game they don't (yet or never) know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.