Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

R17 Download Size?

Discussion in 'Release 17 Feedback' started by drrhodes, May 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drrhodes

drrhodes Avatar

Hi All,

I have limited bytes for downloading. Can anyone tell me how large the client download size is? If there is a shroudoftheavatar.com page showing this, knowing what that location is will do nicely (and might be good for future releases). I do realize that the listed necessary computer size is said to be 6GB, but I imagine that's after decompression.

Thanks, Daniel R Rhodes

Mata likes this.
  2. drrhodes

drrhodes Avatar

Thanks for all the help folks. I know I won't be contributing any money to this game.

3. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome drrhodes!

First, sorry for my bad english...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z-svq1OvcZwViqGxFCKdjH3NCn2LTfLuGny5qaAqjTM/pub
    Windows (Non-Steam)

Download the installer file, “SotAInstaller.exe” from this link:

https://d2sx9mrt4zumaq.cloudfront.net/Installers/SotAInstaller.exe

Running this file will install the Shroud of the Avatar Launcher application, which will download the rest of the game. We recommend having at least 4GB of free disk space on the drive you install to, though the game will only download about 1.5GB of data. Note that downloading and installing the game may take some time, especially on slower Internet connections.

You can update the game for future releases by running the Launcher again; there is no need to re-download it.

majoria70, drrhodes and Ice Queen like this.
  4. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

Quite difficult to answer this question, since the installer is just 10 MB, it gets the game using Torrent technology from peers, and just copies it to the installation folder.

The download size may be very close to, if not exactly the same as the final installed size.

drrhodes and Mata like this.
  5. drrhodes

drrhodes Avatar

Thank you Mata and Fox Cunning for responding to my question.

1.5GB is even doable this ISP billing month and even twice that should be OK. Isn't internet in a rural area fun? Although I have to wonder what the online playing requirements will be. That will need to be tested and I suspect it will run into more data than I can afford, at least I should be able to try the single player mode.

I hadn't run across any reference to the document to which Mata refers. Something else which needs work by the developers.

Thanks again, Daniel R. Rhodes

FrostII, majoria70 and Mata like this.
  6. Mata

Mata Avatar

You're welcome! :)

drrhodes likes this.
  7. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

You're very welcome.

I have lived in a rural area (in a different Country) years ago, and I basically had to take a bus to the nearest proper city just to access the Internet :confused: I can feel your pain.

Anyway, I have played for about 35 minutes; adventured solo for a while, walked a looong way on the overland map, crafter a few items and then met some folks in Owl's Head: ~7.5 MB uploaded and ~30.5 MB downloaded. Not too bad.

FrostII, Mata and drrhodes like this.
  8. drrhodes

drrhodes Avatar

Thanks, Fox Cunning.

That is good news to hear, errrrrr, see and very appreciated.

Thanks, Daniel R. Rhodes

FrostII, Fox Cunning and Mata like this.
  9. drrhodes

drrhodes Avatar

Just to record what I remember from my experience for future readers of this thread (if there are any). I could have some information wrong though. I ended up with following:

The installer was minimal. I forget the amounts, but it was very little.

The installer downloaded the patcher. This was about 3.2GB . It expanded into about 6.31GB . I was a little confused and tried for a few times to run the patcher to start the game. This didn't work, of course, and then I noticed the new icon on my display (this is with Win7 Ultimate). The new icon is the launcher. Maybe it didn't expand until I ran the launcher, in any case, I was then able to run the game and found that the offline versions aren't, errrr, online as of yet. There are two modes available, Single player online and multiplayer online. I've only tried the single player online, I'm not much of a MMO person. My daughter might play and I'll join up with her if she does. Joining up is needed for combat. The game after the initial few skeletons is way too tough for a starting character to do much but run away, run fast, run away. There is a also little to do in that first town of Soltown. I've killed and skinned a lot of rabbits and deer. Enough for one level in production. But I haven't found any ore to mine, no chop-able trees. And in any case, some needed crafting tools and supplies that aren't available in Soltown. A few quick forays into other towns hasn't found any of that either. I did get to Owl's Head and there's stuff there, but I had little money. It's a rather tough game for the solo players.

Thanks, Daniel R. Rhodes

FrostII and Mata like this.
  10. Mata

Mata Avatar

Hi Daniel,
    (sorry for my bad english, google translate)
    go to Solace Bridge near Soltown , where you will find iron, trees , reagents and cotton for harvesting .
    Also you can find there wolves and bears to skinning for animal hides . A few smaller spiders... Skeletons not to hard they gives a few goldcoins are also there .
    There you can also find some weapons and a shield that you can " pick up / take " simple.
    In Ardoris is a crafting NPC and a craftingstation.

Good Luck! :)

Mata

Lord Baldrith, FrostII and drrhodes like this.
  11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Red Trees are the chop-able trees. There a few quests online so far. Make sure you train in crafting, it will help. You start out on the novia map head to ardoris and next to ardoris on the map are the boats to the hidden vale map. When you arrive there look for the volcano and head to that area and go to the city of Owlshead. Go straight forward and talk to the first guard you see by doubleclicking him and type 'name' so you know his name and answers his questions anyway you want. then go straight forward accross the bridge and continue until you see the tented area where you'll see a skill trainer continue forward and you'll see a crafting pavillion and turn left heading straight until you see another gated opening go thru this and go left to another tented market place first place on the right is the blacksmith who buys your looted weapons for more than others. Save your ectoplasmic residue for Lord Delbert Enmar who is in the building with the guards in front of it straight accross from the blacksmith on the 2nd floor. Just mention ectoplasmic residue and get the quests he offers some will show in your journal. By doing 'j' key you can see what comments are made. Then talk to the guy who is wounded on first floor and the guy accross from him to get the healing quest to help him. type words such as 'help', 'assist' etc to drag the quests out of them. NPCs will get smarter and more conversations are added to them all the time. So since we are in development some things are not yet there but more and more is coming. The healing quest pays 5000 exp and you do have to think a bit and definitely talk to the npcs so beware if you see an npc talking in the comments as you pass by, talking to him/her will probably provide something for you to check into.:)

FrostII, Mata and drrhodes like this.
  12. drrhodes

drrhodes Avatar

Thanks again Mata and Majoria70 ,

I do realize that the game is still under construction so I know some things will be better, others just different than they are now.

I did try Owl's Head and Solace Bridge on my own before my previous post. Solace Bridge was one of the spots that had me pulling a Monty Python ... "Run awayyyyyy". I can handle one skeleton and maybe two wolf spiders at once, but I would find one, start battling and here came a bunch of others. In Owl's Head, I had found a spot with four deer and a few rabbits, so did some grinding there. I also did battle with some sheep (they're about my level LOL) but I imagine that I was hurting my whispered about but invisible reputation. There really needs to be some visible metric for reputation. I'd hate to get my character up to a playable level and then find out I'm an outcast because I killed some sheep and looted some skeletons (I'd love to hear the explanation for reputation hits because I looted skeletons and wild animals. The sheep are at least understandable since the guards are watching them for some absentee merchant).

After reading both of your e-mails, I went back through both areas. I've at least seen and gathered a little wood, ore and cotton, oh and one garlic plant and two oyster beds. Another change I'm hoping for is that different resource nodes will look different, i.e., an iron node can be identified from its looks and is different in looks from a gold node, etc. I saw weapons in Solace Bridge, but even though they highlighted ... Ohhhhhh, I forgot, one must drag strewn weapons onto the PC. Dang, that took me five or ten minutes to figure out in the tutorial and isn't very intuitive.

I'm seeing comments from some players about wanting PVP on all the time. IMO, I'm against this and would quit playing if my beginning low level character could be killed by some level 99 brat just for kicks.

I'll look for some of the quests when my ISP billing period starts the next cycle. I'm already on my first gigabyte over the monthly allocation and with 3-1/2 days to go, I'll probably hit the second. At $10 USD per GB over, it adds up quick. Please bring on the single player offline soon before I have to talk to loansharks. LOL

Thanks Daniel R. Rhodes

13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hi drrhodes. it sounds like quite a challenge for you. All of the virtue system is not in yet so I think you should be ok to try to survive. Perhaps don't do it all by yourself. Hopefully you have majoria friended. Today I was on quite a bit killing elves and wantdering around looking for books. Don't hesitate to join in. I will try to be on again tomorrow. No worries about pvpers. They cannot get you as long as you are not flagged. You can pvp anywhere but only if flagged for pvp against other flagged pvp players.:)

**edited spelling**

FrostII and drrhodes like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.