Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

R23 Feedback - Magery - Root is way Over Powered

Discussion in 'Release 23 Feedback' started by Stealthy, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stealthy

Stealthy Avatar

So here I am again grinding and hoping I can make a pure mage this release but that is not going to happen. Looks like all spell damage (besides Searing Ray) still does little to no damage. This is age of the tanks. R13- R18 was the age of mages. I have started to try PVP and looks like the first one to cast root wins. I am finding myself rooted and rooted again and taking hits from behind until my player is dead. I will still level up and try to attempt to play a mage but it looks like that is not going to happen this release!!
    Chaos

2. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Agreed. In R23 mobs cannot even attack while rooted so as long as a few players can keep root on a troll they can kill him without even being hit.

I understand this is a great skill for mages because you can root and cast to keep mobs at distance but a bit OP currently (same with skewer which I LOVE as a skill in polearms).

3. Noric

Noric Avatar

Agreed on skewer.

Abydos likes this.
  4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

The question we should be asking ourselves is not "why is root so powerful?" The question to ask is, why is there no counter to root?

There should be a way to avoid root, and a way to dispell root. The attunement system should be providing a way to avoid root (though not a very practical one for all the skill trees). Does being attune to earth not lessen your likelihood of being rooted? I would think that unless this is not working in game (read: bugged) then a smart player would pump up the attunement to earth and have a field day not being rooted by the earth spell. At least, that's how it's supposed to work. Or is it that everyone is attune to earth so the attunement just cancels each other out?

If that's the case I would wonder if someone high level in air attunement would not do so much damage to people with high earth attunement that root wouldn't really be a big deal? Again, that's how it's supposed to work.

Oba Evesor and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  5. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

there are quite a few ways around root
    aka spells/skills that move you

6. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Root is not working as intended (btw spam jump to break it). At the moment you can root a miniboss like the troll boss and it will not hit back.

KuBaTRiZeS, Numa, Gaelis and 2 others like this.
  7. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

Try equipping Greater Power gear, and using stacked spells / multiple passives and direct buffs

Corpse Explosion has been doing very nice AoE damage for me, Discharge is mid-damage but very long AoE stun with higher passives

Attunement has buffed high end damage quite nicely for magi.

Still needs some love (and works far better with max stillness buff) so it certainly feels weaker in solo play.

Root does seem rather OP in it's current incarnation. Does seem rather odd that they won't use AoE / Ranged attacks.

Searing Ray was over-nerfed. Higher CD sure, but Magi could really use a mid-dmg inst-cast.

Defensive Stance and Ice Shield work well for extra mitigation. Spell level, reagents and passives can lower fizzle enough to strap on a plate chest/legs without much issue ... although then you are looking at a different armour skill set.

..and then at that point, you may as well use a hard hitting melee weapon and get the benefits of Stillness from staying planted during the encounter

..and then you end up with my build ... lol

8. Stealthy

Stealthy Avatar

First of all if you are wearing full plate most all spells should fizzle. Right now all spells that do damage and spells like root etc can be casted in full plate with little to no fizzle. The risk I take as pure mage is I am wearing cloth. If a tank gets close to me and wacks me I am going to get hit hard. But however my spells should have a high damage to a tank in plate to off set the low defense I have with wearing cloth. That is what I am use to in playing MMO's anyways I am hoping this gets balanced soon. Thsi release I guess I will have to play a tank even though I hate the tank build. I play a mage in the MMO's I choose to play but I do have faith in the developer team and the game is coming along very nice. I am just hoping they are forcing us to play tanks to get PVE, Armor and PVP data for future release.

Chaos

Abydos, Athanil, Sara Dreygon and 3 others like this.
  9. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

The true trade-off is pure cloth and high tier spells, versus some actual mitigation and mid levels spells with little to no fizzle

Doesn't mean you are a tank per-se, just means you can actually take 3 wolves munching on you for more than 7 seconds.

Dropping out of combat for super fast HP regen / Soul Tap, and even hitting 'Y' to pop quickly between cloth/hybrid build is solely reliant on what trees you practice :)

10. Masonic

Masonic Avatar

Just going to throw this out there.

Root should let you still change facing, and the pvp timer is far too generous, it should be HALF timer in PVP, but FULL timer in PVE.

KK. GL+HF.

War Sage.

Numa likes this.
  11. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Root is pretty powerful right now. There are a few ways to break it or move you to another location so it isn't unbeatable though.

Also, the best counter to root is casting root yourself. If they lock you down, lock them down out of melee range. Just hope that they don't get behind you before the spell completes. ;)

12. Turin2

Turin2 Avatar

Try bodyslam , charge or other movement skills to beat root. I wreck Obsidian golems with it.

Oba Evesor, Numa and Abydos like this.
  13. Masonic

Masonic Avatar

I can tell you a half dozen counters, but I'll save them for the next tournament if that's ok :p

14. Coolwaters

Coolwaters Avatar

I agree on both counts. Facing and 1/2 for PvP.

Masonic likes this.
  15. Turin2

Turin2 Avatar

Blink.... I think its the answer for not being able to change facing. Its expensive, 14 focus, but it locks with a 2 second cool down. Combined with body slam, should give you positioning in a fight. ( In Theory.. still have yet to do testing )

Numa and Abydos like this.
  16. Turin2

Turin2 Avatar

Blink doesnt cut it. Body slam doesnt cut it. Root is the god skill now. Everyone has to have it, everyone has to build around it.... like every other release... trying to over come bad balance.

17. Turin2

Turin2 Avatar

Game is on a downward spiral for pvp.. every release gets just a little worse then the one before it. Searing ray spam last couple months has become rooting spam for the next couple months. So much work and effort pist away again.

18. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

You shouldn't burst into tears about balance in Pre Alpha... I am much more concerned about the whole combat system. Leveling the skills feels just not right IMHO. UO did it smoother I think.

19. Turin2

Turin2 Avatar

We shouldn't care that pvp is dead and not worth testing? Brilliant.

niteowl57 likes this.
  20. Turin2

Turin2 Avatar

I personally found no issue with leveling skills. Everything gains smoothly for me, but Root, which this thread is about is a serious issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.