Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

R25 - Lets talk about mouselook...

Discussion in 'Release 25 Feedback Forum' started by Kytail, Dec 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kytail

Kytail Avatar

In most of the MMOs I've played, I've grown to love the traditional mouselook controls that these games typically sport. Granted, SotA is not strictly an MMO (an argument for a different thread), but it certainly feels enough like one to make it feel weird when the controls are not what I was expecting.

I feel like we're 75% 70% of the way there, but the mouse controls are still lacking in two three specific ways while NOT in camera-look mode.
    1. A left-click drag on the screen should move the camera around, exactly like the right mouse dragging currently does while the character is still.
      • If a UI element (e.g. a button or window) is in the way, the click should of course be passed to that element instead of moving the camera.
      • If an item could be moved (e.g. decoration mode in a house) and is under the cursor at the time the button was depressed, the click should likewise be passed to that element and attempt to move it.
      • Of course, while not holding the left mouse button, the mouse should simply be a mouse cursor, unless the weird camera-look mode is enabled.
    2. A right-click drag on the screen should pivot the character in-place (changing his facing), just like the Q/E keys (except being as fast as the mouse movement), and also just like how it behaves while the character is running.
      • This action would also pivot the camera to be behind the character, just like it currently does when the character is running.
    3. As @Moiseyev Trueden mentions below, while the right mouse button is held down, subsequent left mouse button clicks should be ignored, except to cause the character to run forward (like it does currently).
    As far as I can tell, everything else about the controls could remain exactly as-is. Even including the weird camera-look mode that reminds me of an FPS.

Here are my reasons for each:
    1. I would like to move my character around easily while using the keyboard to run. I'd like to be able to glance left/right or possibly even behind me, but while running forward with the W key.
    2. I find it ridiculous that, in order to pivot my character, I have to move him using the keyboard. Granted, I see that it's technically possible to rotate slowly with the Q/E keys, but that's not always exactly practical in combat. I'd like to be able to turn and face a different enemy without having to dance around. There's also some good RP reasons that I can't think of right now.
    3. As @Moiseyev Trueden also mentioned, for players that utilize this control to move forward, it would be far too easy to accidentally pick something up and start dragging it with you. And who knows what other damage could be done by just clicking or dragging something accidentally?
    Am I alone in this sentiment? I feel like this sort of thing should be available after 25+ revisions of the game. I hear rumors that this has been discussed at length before, but I'm frankly too lazy to go look them up.

I understand there may be some people that would not want the game controls to change at all. Would it be possible to add an option to enable this sort of mouselook behavior?

I just feel like this is such a basic UI/functionality problem that it really shouldn't be a problem at all. Is it at least being considered for Ep1? I typically try to avoid saying this kind of thing, but I do feel that if this sort of mouselook style is not available prior to release, we're going to see a lot of angry MMO players.

Edit: Added a #3.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
    Ice Queen, Leelu and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  2. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Mouse look definitely needs a revisit. My biggest gripe is when you are using mouse look in a decorated scene you have rights to, if you start moving (holding right and then click left) you start moving but pick up the decoration item the mouse was over. This is massively frustrating and should be possible to be fixed by having left click ignored if right click is depressed.

Otherwise, love your suggestions.

Ice Queen, Leelu and Kytail like this.
  3. Kytail

Kytail Avatar

Seems like a no-brainer - if I had known that were true, I would have mentioned the same solution. I'll add that to the OP. Thanks.

Leelu and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  4. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

I also noticed when right click dragging, if you end up over an object when releasing the button, it acts like you purposely right clicked the object. I don't think this is good or intended.

5. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

That's a known bug. The next release and wipe is a week away, so you might as well wait until the new release to report anything if you haven't been watching the forums to see what was already reported.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.