R32 Land Rush status

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smack, Jul 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I should know this but what exactly is a Player run town? It isn't a POT and it isn't a story based town, but does it have NPCs at all (like vendors), or is it only player vendors, crafting stations etcetera?

Whyterose Flowers, Mykll and Tahru like this.
  2. smack

smack Avatar

PRTs are just endless neighborhoods with generic NPCs that will offer some amount of services, such as banks and various types of merchants.

StevieD, Mykll, Tahru and 2 others like this.
  3. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I think this is the kind of spirit and attitude that can turn a "no-name town" (as someone called it) into a bustling destination that people will be glad to visit and settle in.

My village home will be in the lovely POT of Rift's End, but I look forward to visiting Elad's Lighthouse, Harvest, etc. and doing my shopping there.

Rhiannon, Saosis, StevieD and 7 others like this.
  4. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

So I decided to look around the vale nearly twelve hours past the start of my selection time. Ended up finding a nice little row house spot on the river right past the bridge in Kingsport. I was happy with it.

5. Coren

Coren Avatar

Let's not kid ourselves - there's a reason PRT lots have not been taken: they are highly undesirable (though, without argument, marginally less undesirable than PoT lots).

Sure, the "only" difference between them and NPC towns is that they are not involved in the storylines or quests. But that "only" reason is the difference between "people go there" and "nobody but plot owners ever go there".

6. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

I argue otherwise. The person I was responding to stated he was skeptical there would be enough lots available when he selected. My post was informational, not to attempt to tell him what lots have what value. He said he didn't keep up with the ins and outs of housing, so I thought specifying the difference might matter.

If he had stated there wouldn't be valuable lots left for him to choose, that's a different argument one it appears you are making that I wouldnt argue against.

tazntaylr, Mykll and Tahru like this.
  7. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

PRTs are very lonely boring places to live... I lived in Holtrot way back when and it was awful. Once I found the POT I live at now it was like night and day experience.

8. Elric Zand

Elric Zand Avatar

majority of people I see talk about the choice, seem to prefer PRT over POT... just wait till this weekend is over and almost all NPC except row are gone and we will find out :)

Tahru likes this.
  9. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

If you just want to be alone to do your thing PRTs offer that great. But I don't know of any PRT that can top the community of a decent POT.

10. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Hater's gonna hate, Lord Dreamo. It's draining being the target of so many people's ire for trying to build something Different, with People who want to do the same.

I'll be here... with a non-cookie cutter town, in a great location, with a group of people who selected each other rather than being thrust together by random factors and a time limit.

11. Elric Zand

Elric Zand Avatar

edit: nvm this thread is derailed enough as it is already... sadness

hope everyone in Group 32 found a great lot!

12. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

I'm sorry if my comments came off as an attack. I had no idea there were people trying to build communities in PRTs that's awesome and I hope it works out well. This is the first I ever saw someone mention it.

Tahru and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  13. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I was speaking of my POT, Lord Dreamo. And there undoubtedly WILL be communities built in PRTs, I've no doubt. Good people come together and build good things even if they're thrust together by the fates.

14. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

Oh yeah, I guess I read it kinda backwards haha. I do feel for some of the people who are desperately worried they will end up in a PRT and don't want to. I'm always trying to recruit people to Bastion's Point. Our location near Solace bridge gets us a lot of newbies wondering in and they don't realize it's a player owned town.

Tahru and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  15. Coren

Coren Avatar

I don't think I'm desperate not to end up in a PTR, though I really would rather a plot in an NPC town (even out of the way). There's still a couple left for my group in some 40h... maybe I'll luck out.

I agree that people can make a good place out of a PRT if they are lucky (good neighbors), but the inability to construct the town around some attraction will make them all rather... weak. POT have better potential in that direction, but the thought of getting my plot in own is unattractive for two reason: (a) I am not fond of the idea of having to pay any sort of rent in addition to the tax-free town lot I already paid quite a bit of money for, and (b) the idea that I can log in one morning and find that I no longer have a lot with no appeal and none left if PRT and NPC towns to replace it is rather scary.

Sure, you can end up with a brilliant governor, full of good intent, and neighbors that are nice and great - and then what happens if the current governor gets hit by the proverbial 18-wheeler and the town goes to crap?

16. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

What if hurricane strike the data center and we lose everything including the back up?

Don't let the what-if ruins the possibility of having a great time in a decent POT.

If you prefer to play it safe, that's fine too.

Tahru likes this.
  17. Astor Cerberus

Astor Cerberus Avatar

Sure - that can happen, but I think people will move one and do something similar again. There will be other POT's that will be sold over time or that are looking for residents. If the POT community is strong (an active guild for example or a group of RL friends) they could even likely find a place to call home together.

Heck, worst case scenario they end up in a PRT... which is no wore than many of them would have been if POT's didn't exist at all.

Whyterose Flowers, Numa and Tahru like this.
  18. Coren

Coren Avatar

Then, as a sysadmin with extensive experience in DR, I will have choice words for the Portalarium IT team. :)

19. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Check out some of the time island PRTs. Some of them are at very decent location. The island is small enough that a bunch of npcs can crafting stations are near the entrance. Eventually they will beautify all the PRTs, so it's better to focus on town location on the map and the actual lot than how the town look right now.

Just keep an open mind and check it out.

20. DancingShade

DancingShade Avatar

Parrot's Roost and similar island PRTs are amazingly well laid out. The entrances are right next to the hubs too - super convenient.

Hazard, tazntaylr, Numa and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.