1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

R45 Postmortem Missed Questions

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Sep 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Eh... with buffs, armor, brittle brawn, and berserker I'm at around 270 STR. Non stacked thrusts from behind are around 380 at the best with a +thrust sword. 400 is within grasp though but it's really the crit % that's the difference maker. The 400+ attacks are all from stacked sneak attacks.

Due to swords, I get about 8% extra from vital points but my build is all crit and damage so every little % matters.

2. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

I must concur...although I'm kinda still new at polearms with only 121 base polearm skill. And as Cryo says.. the charged attack is seldom used.

As for fighting with @Sara Dreygon . @Chris has already made mention that I probably just have these feelings of inadequacy due to being in party with Sara but I could swear I've seen Sara crit for >500. And the thing is... the blades crit like ALL THE TIME!

I'd offer the following as an example of halberd dmg

[​IMG]

Count the crits

@DarkStarr

EDIT: I see Sara has posted and says 400+... hmmmm.... my best crit ever was I think 27o ish

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  3. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

I think you have a valid point, but part of WHY it developed that way is because they knew from the beginning that they would be a strictly PvP game.

I think you're missing a point, too, in that SotA doesn't randomly select who is trying to PvP and who is trying to PvE, we self-select that. If it were just a matter of "getting on the other side" that would be easy to fix: we'd just all choose the PKer side. I think one of the issues here is that the game doesn't present itself as one where you should have to make that choice. The point is, how the game advertises and presents itself (This isn't really something that can change, either. That's a ship which has already sailed) highly limits what options are available to make PvP compelling.

I have also critted in excess of 400 with longswords (particularly this release. Some of the changes in how the deck works makes maximising your skill efficiency much easier). It's not just Sara. The biggest hits are always from behind or Coup de Grace (that's one of my favorite abilities). I also have a chunk put into making sure I crit early and often.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Moiseyev Trueden and Solazur like this.
  4. smack

smack Avatar

/reported for trolling the community :rolleyes:

Because seriously...if it's not that, then..........:)

Mykll, Moiseyev Trueden and Solazur like this.
  5. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

Yea, I hit for 200-279's now most of that is to my str being 201 now. 201 STR, I crit maybe 10 % of the time. I am not sure it might actually be 15 now because of having 102 dex. Either way I am to the point where i can hold my own in The Rise. @Sara Dreygon is very accomplished but when She is calling for drastic changes like 25% more damage on crits you know pole arm is broken. @Chris and @DarkStarr , I would suggest going with an over buff and follow it with a Nerf if needed. Your last "Polearm is A Ok" buff was completely underwhelming and the difference was barley noticed. Polearm needs some serious changes to become viable due to complete lack of scaling. I mean Common i have some of the best gear in the game. 201 STR 102 dex with 5% on hit 33% SSD mod on my chest proc and i can only hit for 279 .... I PVP a lot nowadays and admitidly polearm offers a lot of Utility. It has No Teeth. When i start hitting for 800's on crits. Then we can start talking about me being close to one hit territory ans the people who are 90+ generally have 900ish hp while hunting. Most have around 1000.

Numa, Moiseyev Trueden and Solazur like this.
  6. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Ok. What about everything besides the water elemental, demon, or the wisp (they can sometimes be useful with debuffs but even that is fairly situational)? Phoenix, death mage, fire elemental, earth ele, lich, skeleton fighter, air ele, ice ele don't heal or do much of any significant damage or effects. They need some love even if you like the water elementals heal ability, there are a lot more summons than just that one.
    I will respectfully agree to disagree as I tend to look at all of the available ones and not just the one or two that can be helpful.

Numa likes this.
  7. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

With all due respect @DarkStarr , I would submit Using a polearm is a lot different from looking at the stats on them. I have been wielding a halb for > 90% of the time since persistence. I remember the time a few releases back when I unlearned my pole skills and put them into blades (On QA) ...the difference was astounding and I never got near the skill lvl I had in poles. It just annoyed me and brought on one of my frequent *poke* at @Chris who subdues my woes saying it was getting fixed. Sadly we are still awaiting. And let's not even get into the discussion about people critting with magic. Good lord... wanna talk 1hit potential. OR... how about that Hamstring?
    But the fact remains. poles are seriously under powered. I was out killing some bears as I dislike having to be constantly in a mine for craft XP....I decided to experiment a bit and so I swapped out a pole deck for an AOE. At the time... I had EQ at 80, RoF at around 50 and death field somewhere around 50ish as well. I wound up shaking my head and put my halb away. Mind you again..IIRC ALL of the pole skills I was using were between 100 and 121. So please.. don't tell us polearms are fine or in danger of becoming the Uber Weapon. They aren't.

Numa and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  8. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

I think the Worst part of this is we are 3 months from release and we get this line.

I am not trying to be a nay sayer. I plead that @DarkStarr and @Chris listen to us the players on this one. you could 3x our damage and we would finally be competitive. Yes.... 3x.... The part that scares me the most is that they think we are fine or just need tweaks. 3x damage does not seem like a tweak.

Solazur likes this.
  9. Boedy Arc

Boedy Arc Avatar

Why not dragons at all? :) think then i will be on top.....

dunno excact how much biut realy a lot of

10. redfish

redfish Avatar

By the way, killing Ysaranth should not be counted in a dragon kill achievement...

Alley Oop likes this.
  11. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

You need to tag @Chris on topics like this, probably in another thread I would suggest

12. Draugur2

Draugur2 Avatar

I'm not sure how long it takes to answer all the questions that come in @DarkStarr, would making a top 10 or 20 FAQ help? Take the questions that come up EVERY telethon, I get tired of reading them so I can only imagine how it is answering them every month. I would also be for keeping the limit of questions to the suggested limit of three. Some people asking up to eight questions seems a bit much. Just my thoughts. Thanks for taking the time to answer them!

13. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

@DarkStarr I will do as you suggest. It is just demoralizing when ever i make a post about game mechanics that are broken and then not get any Feedback or acknowledgement.

Solazur, Tiina Onir and LoneStranger like this.
  14. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

As requested, i have created a new post in the game features area for this. I did not want to have this in the R45 feedback section as those threads get buried each Release. I hope for the best in regards to polearm.

Thanks for your feedback @DarkStarr

Solazur likes this.
  15. eli

eli Avatar

So, I fully understand the sentiment of not wanting to create a 'something for nothing' mechanic, but the game is already full of those. 90% of PvE in this game is "easy to camp" and you can create your own private XP, gold, and material fountain while casting the same 3 spells and taking no risk.

The "player population" problem resolves itself with one of two feedback loops: Either the reward is not as good as PvE, and one person camps it, and that person basically approximates the reward of a low-performing PvE grinder (while also having to assuming more risk), or the reward is better than PvE, and competition for the reward emerges.

I'm sure checkpoints are in the back of your mind, but that is not a valid comparison. The feedback loop i'm describing could not take hold at checkpoints because the PvE elements made it so that only high level players could compete. A PvP-only zone would not have that level filter on it. It would also not have multiple instances to diffuse the competition.

I'm fine with either better or worse reward than PvE, which is why i didn't specify. My concern is chiefly that there needs to be some incentive for standing around being ready to pvp, or we will continue to only have only duels and ganking, and never truly discover the potential of strategic combat.

The obvious solution is a full battleground implementation, but that feels more and more infeasible with every release i hold my breath. A gimmick singleton zone is not perfect, but 'They will come, and then we will build it' sounds like a horrible strategy.

16. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

[​IMG]

Tiina Onir likes this.
  17. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

@DarkStarr I humbly disagree -- I think limiting the number to 20 and having such a slow speed *encourages* botters / macroers - increasing the number and speed, would discourage such behavior, since there would be no need to set a macro or bot to repeatedly do the same repetitive/boring task, while the player does something else..

Guild Wars 2 got it right, IMHO - they had essentially an unlimited number, and they ramped up the speed as each item progressed. See example video here.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    Spoon likes this.
  18. Randbo

Randbo Avatar

I am swapping the prosperity tool for the bronze tool.

19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The prosperity tool gives a direct +3% exceptional.

20. Lord Merlin

Lord Merlin Avatar

Answer to a question - "All stances are getting some balance love in R46. Some will get better, others, like defensive stance, will have their role change somewhat. All will be added to the 100% untrain list of skills in case anyone is unhappy with the changes."

Could you implement a way of seeing what skills have 100% untrain turned on in the current level of code? I could suggest having a different color for the untrain symbol. I'm sure there are better ways. I have often wanted to untrain things that have changed and are no longer useful to my character, but the list is ever changing and hard to react to because I haven't the skill to memorize the release notes or even remember where to find them.

Thanks for listening

Nick and Ancev like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.