R49 Post Mortem Combat Decks

Discussion in 'Developer Depot' started by Rok Yrikk, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Rok Yrikk

Rok Yrikk Web Developer

Hello everyone, this post is to share the combat decks that we are going to go over during the "Combat Deep Dive" session of the R49 Post Mortem stream-a-thon. So, here they are:

Please note the glyph totals, if there is a locked card in the deck it automatically counts as 5 cards in that deck (due to charging).

List Rostov:
    Buff Deck:
    [​IMG]
    Polearm Deck:
    [​IMG]

Kor:
    Buff Deck:
    [​IMG]

Fire Deck:
    [​IMG]

Gia2, Bow Vale, 3devious and 4 others like this.
  2. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Bug Brigade - Bug Hunter

Nice. Kor, I like your Fire Deck and that it has Juxtapose in there. I'm guessing that's for the Fire resist debuff combo with douse? Very interesting idea!

Also, what tool/website are you using to display those decks?

Sentinel2 likes this.
  3. Rok Yrikk

Rok Yrikk Web Developer

Gia2, Jaanelle DeJure, istyrl and 2 others like this.
  4. moxiepilot

moxiepilot Avatar

Pretty advanced stuff. I enjoyed watching, but as a new guy this was way over my head, as you mentioned because of the advanced combat mechanics.

As a point for upcoming PMs since the game is getting closer to release and more new players join, perhaps you would consider focusing a segment or two on more basic, beginner stuff - early crafting, early combat and housing ownership. I say this because a lot of the tutorials out there are from earlier, outdated releases. That have changed with development.

Don't forget the noob or you'll lose their add on sales when they're most excited.

Chatele likes this.
  5. Rok Yrikk

Rok Yrikk Web Developer

This is good feedback. We will definitely do a basic combat mechanics session in the future.

This is very true. I started playing in R32 and it was the case then too. I appreciate it when content creators put the release in the title of their content so you can google for things like "R49 SotA." You might want to check out this thread - https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...guide-to-knowledge-and-virtue-contest.104513/ - it is the submissions for the video contest, and has a lot of good knowledge for the current version of the game.

6. Kelly O'Shay

Kelly O'Shay Avatar

@Rok Yrikk @Kor
    May I presume that what you actually mean is: Locked glyphs will count as 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 cards, depending on the skill level of that glyph in the skill tree?
    We know that a glyph of skill level less than 80 has fewer than 5 cards, so surely you are not going to punish the newer players by charging them 5 cards when they lock a "sun light" spell level 20?

3devious likes this.
  7. Rok Yrikk

Rok Yrikk Web Developer

Yes this is a good point. The sum is just for determining the deck type (e.g. fire vs death deck) - it is only used in summing the amount of glyphs per tree. And while it is true that many people would have fewer glyphs, but since there is no option to input the skill level currently, it just assumes 5.

The number of glyphs that is included at the top does not reflect counting a locked glyph 5 times, only the number beside each tree icon. My eventual goal is to combine the character planner with the deck builder so you can define your character skills, and your decks.

8. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

Is there an optimum amount of glyphs you should have per deck to get the best draws/speed? Currently I run with at 60 glyph deck with 5 locked and 5 unlocked slots.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    Daxxe Diggler likes this.
  9. Daxxe Diggler

Good question! I'm also curious to learn about what factors into draw speed.

For example, how come sometimes my glyphs seem to populate instantly, and then after a while my 2 random slots are empty for over 5 seconds, waiting for cards?

Chatele likes this.
  10. Drake Aedus

Drake Aedus Avatar

Individual glyphs are still going to have cool down times, but I suspect they remain in the random draw, so you wind up getting glyph droughts because #sotarng

11. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

I've always used the minimum with preferably fast glyphs like offhand attack, thrust, rend, riposte (for a laugh) and have never had issues with glyphs not being available in my 3-4 open slots.

Never tried more cards than the minimum as I always felt it would water down my really good glyphs (i.e. I would thrust, d-slash, body slam, and rend less).

Tiina Onir and Dhanas like this.
  12. Rok Yrikk

Rok Yrikk Web Developer

I think it is preference. My goal is to have glyphs drawn into my unlock slots pretty much constantly. My style is more like what @Sara Dreygon describes, decks with the minimum amount of cards, and skills that are low cooldown cycling through unlocked slots.

I asked this on a telethon long ago, and IIRC it is attack speed and glyph draw speed attribute that Chaotic Feedback and Spellbinder's Stance increase.

So, there are a few things that can contribute to this:
    * First is glyph cooldown. Every glyph in your deck has a cooldown, for unlocked glyphs this means that the card cannot be drawn for the cooldown duration. For example, if you have 5 cards of Strength of Earth (cooldown 30 seconds I think) and you cast all 5 within 5 seconds, you will have to wait 25 seconds until you draw another.
    * Secondly it could be that you are drawing glyphs meant for other slots. If you imagine your deck as a deck of cards, you shuffle the whole deck before you draw a card, if you can place that card in your hand (there is an empty spot) then you do, otherwise you put it back into your deck and wait for the time until you can draw your next card. This means that if you have two unlocked slots - one has a glyph in it, the other doesn't - you can draw glyphs that won't be placed because the slot is full. Due to shuffling before drawing, you could even be drawing the same exact glyph that can't be placed multiple times in a row.
    * Thirdly, you could have glyphs in your deck that aren't assigned to a slot. These glyphs are still drawn and will never be placed into any slot, they are muted grey in the deck builder window.

Moriarty7 and Ben_Hroth like this.
  13. Daxxe Diggler

Thanks for the feedback and info. Couple things here:

1. Not really important, but Strength of Earth cooldown is 15 seconds (per the tooltip). :p

2. I don't typically add glyphs to my deck without assigning them to a specific slot. When I say I have "random slots" I mean they just aren't locked and I assign just a few glyphs to those slots. I typically have these as slots 2 and/or 3, with surrounding slots (1 and 4) locked with glyphs that I use often and are possible combos with the ones I put in the random slots.

For instance, I might lock Whirling Blades in slot 1, put Rend and Double Slash and Offhand Attack unlocked in slot 2, put Thrust, Coup de Grace and Banish Undead unlocked in slot 3, and then lock Soothing Rain in slot 4.

What that does is gives me an AOE attack that is almost always available (cooldown permitting), an easy combo of Sawblade Sweep (when Rend pops into slot 2), a possible combo of Quadruple Slash (if/when Double Slash is in 2 and Thrust is in 3), and an easy combo of Cleansing Rain whenever Banish Undead pops into 3. I have 3 possible combos and combining them is really easy (1-2, 2-3, or 4-3). Even when the combos aren't available, I will always have some kind of attack up (AOE in 1 / DoT from Rend, or a focus-free offhand in 2 / Thrust for a quick jab, CdG for a finisher, or Banish for a ranged vs. undead in 3 ). And healing rain is almost always ready if I need a healing breather (works well with dual wielded tempest socketed swords and even better if I stack via heat system).

The rest of my deck is basically flurry, defensive buffs, heals, and maybe douse and/or purify or ignite weapon or poison, etc. ... utility stuff.

Now, when I keep flurry active, along with fleet flute buff... the cards seem to fly in and out early on. But after a minute or so, the cards don't come back as fast and I tend to end up having 2 empty random slots... or at the least 1 empty one. I can still rely on hitting the locked slots during that downtime, but they aren't always needed.

Anyway, thanks again for the info. I guess my solution might just be to either use one haste buff at a time, or try to add more cards to the deck.

Rok Yrikk and hroth like this.