Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

R5 Game Interaction & Playability Feedback

Discussion in 'Release 5 Feedback' started by dhath, Apr 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhath

dhath Avatar

I have tried to follow the forums and I have tried each of the releases, now R5. After trying to be patient, I finally have to say... this is shaping up to be really really boring. Maybe I'm missing something or should get excited about housing or hot tubbing, but the lack of an open world, the bland experience, passive turn-based fighting and empty and segmented areas is making it a real effort to check out these releases. I'll keep some flicker of a flame of hope but mark me down as disappointed to this point. It's boring, not nearly an Ultima successor and boring even if you chop out any Ultima reference and simply regard it as a weird MMORPG. I hope this is taken as a wake up call, but anyhoo...

2. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

You're missing the entire game. Here's a short list of super important things that aren't part of the alpha builds yet:

1) Progression. You can't level up or progress in any meaningful way, and you can't access the super vast majority of the world outside the Vale.

2) Quests. There are a few little quests, but the vast majority are not yet implemented.

3) Crafting. You can craft, but the majority of recipes (and even many trades) are not yet in game.

4) Economy. Enemies drop everything you need in the alpha releases, and players can't craft anything better due to the crafting limitations.

5) PvP. None of that yet.

6) Diversity of encounters. You can only see the enemies designed for the Vale scenes right now, and not all of them are even done. The finished world will be much bigger and much more varied.

I could go on for quite awhile. Thing is, we won't be seeing enough of the game to judge it until R7 and onward. Since you already paid for the pledge you have, you might as well sit tight and wait for systems to be added. The game's not ready until it's ready, and unless you have specific feedback, just saying, "It's boring," can be chalked up to the lack of interesting things to do, which is obviously an issue because those things aren't ready yet. C'est la vie.

Senash Kasigal, NRaas, Khloec and 5 others like this.
  3. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I'm happy that you've stayed with us so long through "All the Test Releases" :)
    But am curious as to why this is your first ever post here in the forums? o_O
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

4. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

Duke Gréagóir, Khloec, Cir and 3 others like this.
  5. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Dont feed...

Lord Lorimus, Khloec, Cir and 3 others like this.
  6. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

You don't seem to have been following the game that closely, otherwise you'd already know that a bunch of stuff isn't in the game yet, and we're only on one little, unfinished island out of the whole map.

If you find this boring, I suggest finding a nice long book, or two, and going away and reading it for a few months, then come back and tale a look at the game then. Pre-Alpha testing is not for everyone.

7. smack

smack Avatar

What game are you guys playing? Did they release a game that I'm not aware of? I know I've been busy at work, but the only thing I got in email was the chance to test a pre-alpha R5 build that has the basic core framework of some features. I didn't realize there was an actual game yet that we could play. ;)

To quote Lum:

8. Floors

Floors Avatar

These threads have become a kind of tradition for those of us here since the beginning.

Eriador and Time Lord like this.
  9. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

The full game cycle isn't in yet. You're not really seeing full combat and the like yet.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

I once played Monopoly without any player pieces, properties, money, houses or hotels. It was boring.

11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:eek: Mommy! O'Sullivan says he doesn't like Monopoly! :(
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

12. dhath

dhath Avatar

Most of the posters here will be pleased to know that b/c it's Fri and we're doing a House of Cards (2) marathon of sorts, this is a rarity. Normally I won't post and you'll be free to love the game in any form. I can take the KS loss, I will move on.

Nonetheless, I've been involved with more than a few creative projects. There comes a time where it is NOT OK to just assume it will work out. You have to pull the emergency cord and call a spade a spade when you see it at a certain point. We are there. As painful as it is, listen to the posters that note similar things - before they are chased off by the true believers. If you have some experience with this, you know that every customer that complains represents 10 that can't be bothered to do so. If I can play a release #5 and my overwhelming reaction is boredom - and if I am not an isolated whack job with bizarre tastes (OK if I am, this is not a problem, continue as you were...) - it is a problem.

Artariel likes this.
  13. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Inbox me, I will be more than happy to buy your account off of you. Then everything will be painfree!

14. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

I am bored outta my gourd with this game. However... I am a UO fanboy that will stay until the end. I have pledged Lord and that is way beyond my financial limits. I think the only thing that keeps me coming back is that I know what UO was and I really believe that this game is headed towards being the true "spiritual successor" to it. What is missing from this game at the moment are the cycles from gathering to end products, skills, and vendors. Without those, the game is a mess but they are coming and when they do... it's like this game will get miracle grow. You will have fruits that will dwarf any feature in any MMO. Don't sell off your accounts, quit beyotchin', and be patient. I'm on the being bored plateau but it will change soon enough.

15. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

You ROCK, Sir! ^_^

16. Artariel

Artariel Avatar

If you are calling OP a troll, then you are no different from uo.stratics community, just harming the game by acting blind. You can't call someone troll just because he doesn't share same feelings about the game. My feelings are the same with OP, plus the game ruleset will be something like Trammel this is another letdown for me, accept it or not but the lackness of "risk vs. reward" had killed UO back in time and the same community was clapping their hands, making the devs feel that they were doing something good. Just because people don't post anything on forums doesn't mean that they don't follow or play the game, being harassed always by the same people(and their "likers") on the forums just disencouraged me to post anything.

Rodriguez and Rezulm like this.
  17. Rezulm

Rezulm Avatar

I have to agree with the OP. I know people will try to steer you away from your opinion. We really like the series and we like the people involved. We want to like it.

The first time I tried Everquest (I think it was EQ 2), it was after a few years of playing UO. And I was totally confused by the style of being in zone and having to load a new zone. And each one felt so small. Like I was confined to just a "set" like I was in a play. I only played for about a week or so because just was boring eye candy.

Today was my first try at SotA. I felt like I was playing EQ again. Everything was set up already. No open world. The house zones are all pre-set. At least in UO you had to search fort that spot that happened to still be there around the houses that were already there. Each world was different based on how people decided to lay down there claims. The custom housing made it even more amazing.

I wish it was just about gameplay, and not graphics or making everyone happy. I LIKE to travel manually everywhere. The map travel really sucks. The instancing sucks. I'd rather have an open world with 2d graphics and no loading screens. And the card system for abilities? Same old same old as every other game and RPG system nowadays. UO was so great with just simple skills to mix and match and use...

I still don't regret giving more than I ever have to a game, because of all the fun over the years. But this doesn't feel inspired and doesn't feel Ultima.

After waiting for 2 weeks to play, I logged out after about 40 minutes and went back to the simple 2D survival game I've been playing (which is also still in Alpha). Because, its fun...

Aldo, herradam, G Din and 1 other person like this.
  18. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Sorry, but that was very lol for me. Worst housing event ever in UO for a lot of people. ;)

Lord Lorimus, Khloec and cs2501x like this.
  19. Rezulm

Rezulm Avatar

Explain.

20. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

It's not a GAME yet and really isn't meant to be FUN.

We are not here to play, we are here to test, and test, and test. There are plenty of cool test cases you COULD try out. Not just try to play the game and pretend it's fun. It's not right now. Combat is silly. Skills are primitive. We are here to test basic systems that will eventually grow into something fun to play.

If you want to just play, wait another 6-8 months and come back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.