R54 Quest - Elaina's Lost Bow

Discussion in 'Release 54 Events' started by macnlos, May 10, 2018.

?

This is a test of the game mechanics. What do you think of this type of quest?

Poll closed Jul 9, 2018.
  1. Great, love it!

107 vote(s)
    93.9%
  2. Okay, no big deal.

4 vote(s)
    3.5%
  3. Boring, I'm falling asleep

3 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

[​IMG]

So... what is “Elaina’s Lost Bow”? In short I’ve started to create a set of bows attuned to each of the magic disciplines (Fire, Water, Air, etc). One day I accidentally sold my Atenism (Sun) bow (it will have Masterworks/Enchants on it) to one of the vendors... So some fortunate Avatar may find it as a loot drop from one of the mobs out there in the land... And I would like it back. And as a reward for finding my lost bow, I will compensate the Avatar with the following:
    • Player Owned Town (POT) - Town Deed
    • Copy of “Elaina’s Lost Bow”, an in game book with the back story of Elaina and event
    NOTE: The grand prize bow is a +14 Pine Elven Woodwind Long Bow of Atenism

Now, I have also sold some of my normal (no Masterworks/Enchants) Atenism (Sun) bows as well. If you find one of these and return them to me I will reward you with the following:
    • (5) COTOs
    • Copy of “Elaina’s Lost Bow”, an in game book with the back story of Elaina and event

RULES (always have to be rules)
    1. The bows will be sold to the vendors, put into rotation, on R54 release day (05/31/18).
    2. Only bows with Atenism (Sun) gems are valid. I chose Sun because I typically don’t make those and they won’t already be out there in the wilds.
    3. The contest will run from 10:30am CT on 05/31/18 (R54 Day) up to 9am CT on 06/28/18 (R55 Day). Basically while R54 is active.
    4. This is a fun / not so super official contests. I’m running and responsible for it. If I need to make a “judgement” call, then I will. Let’s hope not, it’s pretty straight forward.
    5. While Portalarium may be assisting me with getting the word out about this contest, this contest is of my own doing. This includes the rewards/prizes.
    6. By participating, you are giving me permission to capture images in the game, acknowledging you in game, on the forums, on Twitch and on YouTube. Basically, I have the rights to promote the event and the results.
    7. I will have 1 grand prize bow out there (the one for the POT Town deed) and 10 normal bows (the ones for the 5 COTOs)
    8. You will have to meet up with me in game if you find it (no mail service stuff). I will record the exchange of you returning my bow and me providing you the reward.
    9. In the event the Grand Prize bow is not found/returned... I will draw a name from the smaller (5 COTO) prize winners.
    GOOD LUCK !!!!

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  2. Draugur

Draugur Avatar

This is an awesome contest! Maybe I will become the chosen one!

CatherineRose and Coffee Pirate like this.
  3. Verit

Verit Avatar

Spectacular use of the new loot system!
    Well done!

*goes back to playing in the sand*

4. eli

eli Avatar

if i understand the word "chance" correctly, your quest may be impossible.

matsutaki and Coffee Pirate like this.
  5. Jaesun

Jaesun Avatar

This is a really cool idea! If anything, we will see if these show up. Thanks for doing this! :D

6. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

@eli - I know, that is why I'm putting the smaller bows out there too. I'm banking that I will at least get a couple of those. If no one gets the big bow, then I might just draw between any of the smaller bow winners.

7. Mac2

Mac2 Avatar

As long as its not the bow I made for ya :) .

8. Lord Trady of Blix

Lord Trady of Blix Avatar

I've gotten some nice stuff from the new tables already. Like a ring of Chrysopheia.

9. Lord Trady of Blix

Lord Trady of Blix Avatar

Is your characters name in game "Elaina" ?

Coffee Pirate likes this.
  10. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

Elaina Strongbow

11. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

+1

Coffee Pirate likes this.
  12. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings @macnlos, Very nice quest and great thinking on using new content. I will be watching for it. Can you please ask the winners to tell us what level mob and adventure tier it was found at? I would love to know if Port is being specific about what level equipment goes to what level mob or tier.

13. radi

radi Avatar

Will the item still have your name on it when looted from a mob?

14. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

15. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

When quest is done, would be cool to know where it was found and where you sold it to the vendor :)

16. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Bug Brigade - Bug Hunter

First off, I love the entire idea of the "quest". Secondly, fantastic and very enticing prizes that would make me want to turn one in if found!

I only have 2 concerns that could ruin the entire plan...

1. Someone gets one of the winning bows as loot and has no idea the contest even exists. :(

2. Would be sad if none or very few of the winning bows ever even get looted at all. :eek: Who knows how fast these items will enter the loot tables and/or which mobs they can be found on. (On QA for R53, I did find one player made weapon in a yellow bundle, so that might be the most likely option to finding these.)

Anyway, looking forward to seeing how this all turns out. I too would like to know the details of if/where they are found, although if they come from supply bundles it may be hard to determine which mob the bundle came from.

17. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Brigade – Bug Hunter

hmm. containers are renameable. if you craft one and name it "return to elaina strongbow for reward" would the custom name survive being put in the loot table?

Coffee Pirate and Jaesun like this.
  18. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

Lots of good questions people, thank you!!! Here are some of the responses:

1. What if someone finds it and doesn't know about the Quest??? I'm advertising it in as many ways possible. Twitch, YouTube, Forums, Website, via NBNN, via Berek and power of Portalarium... hoping even to get it on the Message of the Day when you login.

2. Will my name stick on the bow? Yes. I've been getting word that people are already finding other bows that I have sold.

3. How fast will/can they appear? On day 1 of R53 I got an item that was crafted by @Lace - they can appear in loot very quickly.

4. What if no one finds the big bow (deed winner)? Someone will win the deed. If the big bow is not found then I will raffle the deed off to one of the winners of the smaller bows. So the smaller bows, including the 5 COTOs and the book, are worth finding.

Will it be perfect? I hope but anything can happen. I'm testing/using a game mechanic in a way that hasn't been done yet. Which is the fun part!!! :)

19. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

Cool Elaina, thought it was a fun idea when you said about it in your stream :)

20. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

I forget who in the stream actually said "Elaina's Lost Bow"...