Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

R59 Hitching

Discussion in 'Release 59 Feedback' started by Sentinel2, Oct 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Some feedback.

It's just about gone. Played for a few hours last night. Hardly even noticed it. Ran around Novia, a few scenes. Many battles later when I realized it was really gone.

Huzzah!!

2. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Well. Saw that comment about it not being just about gone. Ok. Fair enough.

However I'm running a system with a low end video card and only 16 gigs of ram. So I'm guessing if it's working for me, it should be decent for the most part with others. Yes, that's a presumption. The last several releases have been a pain for me until now. Watched the livestream from yesterday. Darkstarr had some comment about the problem affecting only the production server.

On QA it was generally very smooth. Which is why I kept thinking there was something different between the two.

Glad it's been worked out.

Yes I'm sure there are some who are struggling with hitching still. But then again, I have a semi low end system per their

Witcheypoo likes this.
  3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

4. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

5. Floors

Floors Avatar

I moved my comment because I felt it deserved it's own thread and I didn't want to derail yours, which is about how well the game is running for you.

They broke the metal API for mac users. I know this doesn't affect linux users who were on openGL or Windows users who use DirectX but it definately affects us mac people because OpenGL runs like crap on macs and Metal ran well.

Since Linux users are used to OpenGL and Windows users probably enjoy good performance, I didnt think my comment made sense here.

I also realize it's not a high priority because mac users are probably a tiny fraction of this games userbase.

Sentinel2 likes this.
  6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yes! There is still some hitching while scenes load but that's momentary. Once everything is loaded, the game is very smooth for me now.

Feeyo and Sentinel2 like this.
  7. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I'm guessing Mac is a larger userbase than Linux. At least that's been my experience.

OpenGL on Mac runs bad?

I'm surprised to hear that. I know organizations such as Valve have made a huge effort to make their AAA games work well for non Windows platforms. I believe they started with the Mac before moving to support Linux.

Hopefully it can get resolved for you soon.

Feeyo likes this.
  8. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

OpenGL should not run bad on Mac, at least not worse then on GNU/Linux. It should run the same, but it seems with the latest update of MacOS they have made OpenGL legacy and are not supporting it anymore.
    The hitching on GNU/Linux is still there, mostly in POT/Towns, and as @Barugon stated when entering a new scene in starts hitching but when loaded plays pretty fine.

At least I am happy on how it performs now, if the POT/Towns were being improved then I would have nothing to complain. Performance wise that is ;)

Sentinel2 likes this.
  9. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I'll check it out

I've been in a couple POT's and didn't see any issues. I've been heavily farming a few scenes the last few days looking for blueprints :)

Feeyo likes this.
  10. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I’m no longer getting the excessive hitching!

Thanks for fixing this!!!!

Feeyo, Barugon and Sentinel2 like this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

You can blame Apple for being such assholes about it and thinking that they can just dictate that everyone upgrade their games to use Metal (converting your code to use Metal when it was written to use OpenGL is not trivial).

[edit] Anyway, Vulkan is the future.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    Feeyo likes this.
  12. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

One of the reasons I like to use Linux. If I don't like something, I can snap in a replacement. There's a lot more customization options available than in other platforms IMO.

Feeyo and Barugon like this.
  13. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Ok. Update.

The last few days playing, I found there are scenes where hitches did crop up.

That being said. It was greatly reduced compared to what I've seen in past months. It's definitely still there and not fully resolved. I'm very encouraged with the improvement.

I plan on submitting bug reports with video to document this when it happens. We're getting there :)

Jaesun and Feeyo like this.
  14. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I was crafting a bunch of ingots yesterday, that actually ran pretty smooth. Only saw a few occasional hitches.

Sentinel2 and Feeyo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.