R64 Novia Market 1st Annual Fishing Contest!

Discussion in 'Release 64 Events' started by ldykllr, Apr 1, 2019.

1. ldykllr

ldykllr Avatar

Calling all Avatars! Come and join us for the 1st Annual Novia Market Fishing Contest! This will be a 24 hour competition, April 13th from 1200am (0000) NBT to 11:59pm (2400) NBT. This contest will be for freshwater and fetid fish, fished up from Novia Market and one of the two fishing dungeons in Novia Market (Alpha Fishstick's and Rook Strife's lots, please see the map below).

UPDATE - @Yigg Endimion has a fishing dungeon on his Shogun Village lot at Town Marker 2 that you may also fish in. It has encounter rooms, but the fishing areas should be safe.

UPDATE - Current leaderboard here - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MiDQ5-6QwYfP3KmD-kdgWAcAQIaWGUvSNFh9eWVqukc/edit?usp=sharing

UPDATE - Winners listed for prizes! Prizes will be given out April 17th, 7pm-9pm EST at the Pirate Galleon listed under Robyn Hood (upon entering NoMa, follow the shore north and look for the two cherry trees, use the Dragon dungeon entrance near the side of the boat). For those who can't make it, I will mail your prize to you on Wednesday! C'mon out and check out the winning submissions, forever immortalized in Novia Market! Non-winning submissions will be returned at the event (if you can't make it, get with me in game and I'll deliver your fish to you)

Quick stats (I will post further breakdowns towards end of week):

Participants - 53
    Total # of Trophy Fish Caught - 2,217!
    Total # of COTO's to be awarded for Trophy Fish -
    27,495!

Rules/Prizes will be as follows:

COTO's for each trophy fish turned in (yes you heard that right, you get the following coto amounts for EACH trophy fish you turn in caught during the event):

Freshwater Fish:
    Pike - 100 cotos
    King Salmon - 75 cotos
    Black Trout, Brook Trout, Oscar Sunfish, Peacock Bass, Spotted Bass - 10 cotos

Fetid Fish:
    Sturgeon - 100 cotos
    Alligator Gar - 75 cotos
    Tarpon - 50 cotos
    Goliath Catfish - 25 cotos
    Sharptooth Catfish - 10 cotos

Largest Fish - Fetid or Freshwater (winner can be either type):

1st Place - 100k - Kron Caledon (Large Alligator Gar - 2.8)
    2nd Place - 50k - Galorn Hammerthrow (Sturgeon - 2.5)
    3rd Place - 25k - Engel (Large King Salmon - 2.5)

Largest Freshwater Fish (Rare) - 1000 cotos - Kron Caledon (Large King Salmon - 2.6)
    Largest Fetid Fish (Rare) - 1000 cotos - Kron Caledon (Large Alligator Gar - 2.8)
    Longest Combined Length (Freshwater Rare + Uncommon - no more than one of each fish type - i.e. 1 Black Trout, 1 Oscar Sunfish, etc) - 500 cotos - Kron Caledon (9.9)
    Longest Combined Length (Fetid Rare + Uncommon - no more than one of each fish type - i.e. 1 Sharptooth Catfish, 1 Golaith Catfish, etc) - 500 cotos - Kron Caledon (9.1)

BONUS prizes (these prizes will be given out if they occur during the competition):

Screenshot needed for these two showing in-game chat of item being fished up with the date/time visible. Send to robynhood.sota@gmail.com. I would suggest you don't try to cheat on this one because I will be able to tell and you will be banned from future competitions.

Ancient Golden Ring/or Necklace - 250 cotos - WINNER (Ancient Golden Ring) - Twilight Tempest!

Pax Ring - 250 cotos - WINNER Treewok!

NOTE: For bonus prizes - tiebreakers will be based on time caught. For the complete sets tiebreaker will be by date of the last fish caught - for example, if the last fish caught to complete a set by fisherman A is Oct 25th and fisherman B is Nov 5th, fisherman A will be the winner. ONLY ONE BONUS PRIZE will be awarded for each category.

Caught ALL the Fetid fish (rare + uncommon + common)
    - 1000 cotos - NO WINNER
    Caught ALL the Freshwater Fish (rare + uncommon + common) - 1000 cotos - Infernal

List of fetid fish - Sturgeon, Alligator Gar, Tarpon, Goliath Catfish, Sharptooth Catfish, Catfish, Carp, Tilapia, Trout, Bass, Salmon

List of freshwater fish - Pike, King Salmon, Brook Trout, Black Trout, Oscar Sunfish, Peacock Bass, Spotted Bass, Catfish, Bass, Cod, Salmon, Sunfish, Trout

Note - there is some overlap in fish that can be caught in fetid/fresh. I believe this list is accurate, please let me know if it is not!

All turn ins will be done at the Pirate Galleon on the town lot under Robyn Hood's name (take a right from the docks and follow the water until you see the ship and cherry trees). There will be several chests to drop submissions and it will be checked throughout the day. Tiebreakers will be based on the time the fish was caught. Please take a backpack to place your fish in (public cache near the Pirate Galleon) and label it with your name. Place the backpack in one of the submission chests on the dock near the galleon. You may submit loose fish, but I would really appreciate it if they were all bagged (since tie breaker is time of catch, it doesn't matter when you turn in as long as it is before end of contest).

Depending on the number of participants, it could take some times to process all submissions. I will post here announcing the winners once they have been determined (this may take a day). Winning submissions will be put on display in Novia Market (location tbd) and will not be returned as I'd like to keep a running record and display of winning entries. All other entries will be returned to you.

Bonus Mini-Events

Fetid Fishing Hour
    3pm to 4pm CST in the Daily Fishing Contest Dungeon (Open Mode)
    7pm to 8pm CST in FishStick Dungeon (Open Mode)

Along with the main contest, win extra prizes during Fetid Fishing Hour! Turn ins will be to Rook Strife and Alpha Fishstick (fish caught during these events can also be turned into the main fishing contest!)

1st Place - 1000 Coto's
    2nd Place - Large Treasure Pile

3rd Place - Treasure Chest

Fetid Fishing Hour Results #1

1st place 1000 Coto's - 2.8 Large Alligator Gar - Kron Caledon
    2nd Place Large Treasure Pile - 2.1 Small Sturgeon - Kron Caledon
    3rd Place Treasure Chest - 1.8 Goliath Catfish - Kron Caledon

Random Prize Winners
    Yigg Endimion - 100 Coto's
    Nubby Eerwiggles - 100 Coto's

Fetid Fishing Hour Results #2
    1st place 1000 Coto's - 2.3 Sturgeon - Kron Caledon
    2nd Place Large Treasure Pile - 2.1 Large Goliath Catfish - TaiKee Vetrae
    3rd Place Treasure Chest - 2.1 Small Alligator Gar - Nubby Eerwiggles

Random Prize Winners
    Mrxford - 100 Coto's
    Araminis Darkblade - 100 Coto's

Fishing dungeon locations (1 - Alpha Fishstick - FishsStick Dungeon, 2 - Rook Strife - Daily Fishing Contest Dungeon) not listed on map Yigg Endimion (Shogun Village @ Town Marker 2):

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  2. Yolo SoLive

Yolo SoLive Avatar

I love a good fishing opportunity! thank you!

Sonja, Alpha Fishstick and ldykllr like this.
  3. Alpha Fishstick

Alpha Fishstick Avatar

This is fantastic!

Sonja likes this.
  4. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

Going to be a great event!

:)

Sonja likes this.
  5. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Looks like a Great Event, Hollar if you need a hand with anything.

Sonja likes this.
  6. Yigg Endimion

Yigg Endimion Avatar

Right now I have my dungeon set to decorate mode. I'll post here if I turn on adventure mode, should be safe regardless. Fishing rooms are totally separate from the encounter areas. Look for the green marble koi pond, fishing caves and grottos are located off of either side of that room. Also, the dungeon is on the town lot, with a Shogun Village Keep, Dragon Dungeon entrance. Good luck all.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    Sonja likes this.
  7. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

Leaderboard is awesome! :)

Sonja likes this.
  8. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Good luck everyone! 5-stars event.

Sonja likes this.
  9. ldykllr

ldykllr Avatar

Contest was a huge success! Stand by for final tallies (leaderboard amounts may be updated slightly as I make corrections, but it should be fairly accurate as it is now). This will take me a few days and we will have a reward event on Wednesday, April 17th from 6pm EST - 9pm EST for folks to come by and see the winning entries (to be forever memorialized in Novia Market) and I will hand out prizes and return non-winning submissions. Those who cannot make it, no worries - I will mail your prize on Wednesday and get your fish to you :)

10. TaiKee Vetrae

TaiKee Vetrae Avatar

I had the BESTEST time, thank you so much to everyone that organized this event! Can't wait for next years :D

Sonja and Rada Torment like this.
  11. Kron Caledon

Kron Caledon Bug Brigade – Bug Hunter

Thank you Robyn for such a great event! And @Rook Strife as well for running the Fetid Fishing Hour mini-events! Also all the people who helped support this, including with generous donations. It was great to see all the fishers in Novia Market.

Once I get my fish back - I will do a post with stats and a full breakdown of what I caught. I'll also share the general approach and the specific factors (skills, buffs, baits, process) that I believe helped contribute to my results. It'll be a bunch of data, and some of my theories / commentary.

There's always been a lot of debate about what actually "works" in fishing - hopefully this will help advance the discussion. :)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  12. ldykllr

ldykllr Avatar

Hey guys, running late from work, will start the event at 7pm EST instead of 6pm. My apologies

13. ldykllr

ldykllr Avatar

All prizes have been mailed! If you would like your fish back, please contact me in-game. Thank you to all who participated!

Sonja likes this.
  14. Kron Caledon

Here are the stats and breakdown of my fishing results from the contest. Let me know if you have any questions!

Disclaimer: I hand entered each fish and then ran the stats myself - so errors are possible. Please let me know if you notice any discrepancies!

Overall
    [​IMG]

By Category
    [​IMG]
    - Several people commented during the contest that Freshwater fishing seemed to yield more trophy fish than Fetid fishing - and my data seems consistent with that (even accounting that I fished somewhat longer on Fetid vs. Fresh)
    - However, Fetid fishing yielded more bait
    - Fresh Water has 5 Uncommon trophy fish, Fetid Fishing has only 1 Uncommon trophy fish (Sharptooth Catfish)
    - Fresh Water has only 1 catchable bait (Minnow), Fetid has 3 catchable bait (Pale Leech, Drudge Leech, Blood Leech)
    - so maybe that contributes to the relative numbers of Uncommon and Bait for Fresh vs. Fetid?
    - Interesting to see that Bait and Armor have similar numbers and % caught - around 8% each of all items caught

Hours Fished
    [​IMG]
    - Started at the last minute of Oct 23 game time (5:59am CST - contest had already been going for 6 hours or so) - and caught 1 Catfish. So not really counting that as an "hour" of fishing,
    - Fished pretty steadily the whole rest of the way, but took breaks, etc.
    - started with Fresh water. Did some Fresh Water / Fetid in the middle of the day, and then starting with the Fetid Fishing Hour #1 - fished Fetid the rest of the way.
    [​IMG]

Equipment and Skills
    - Rod: Lava Fishing Rod with True Bronze Engraving (+5 Fishing, +10 Lava Fishing Level)
    - Ring: Pax Ring (+33.3% Fishing Bait Recovery Chance)
    - Blessings: Humility (+8% Bait Recovery Chance), Spirituality (+5 Fishing Proficiency)
    - Skills:
    Fishing 120 (+18.0 Fishing Range)
    Bait Recovery 120 (+40.1 Fishing Bait Recovery Chance)
    Freshwater Fishing 115
    Fetid Water Fishing 115
    - Bait:
    Hopper - 167 Used (bonus to catching fish in fresh water) - over ~7-9 hours of Fresh Water fishing
    Pale Leech - 158 Used (bonus to catching fish in fresh water, and a bonus to catching blood leeches) - over ~8-9 hours of Fetid Water fishing
    Drudge Leech - 27 Used (bonus to catching in any water type, also adds large bonus to catching blood leeches) - over 1 hour of Fetid Water fishing
    [​IMG]
    - Hoppers were used in Fresh Water
    - Pale Leeches were used in the majority of the Fetid fishing (except for the last hour)
    - Drudge Leeches were used in the last hour of Fetid fishing
    - Minnows were used in less than 50 casts (out of 1188 total items caught) - I sometimes switched to Minnows for a cast or two on the rare occasion that I ran into a < 50% fishing % chance

Strategy and Process

1) Maximize Fishing % Chance

- my reasoning is that if you catch an item (any item), then you at least have a chance at a trophy fish (uncommon or rare) - better than if you catch nothing at all
    - also - I believe it was stated once on a livestream, that higher % have a chance at a larger fish length
    - so I tried to maximize my % chance on every cast, wherever possible
    - Increasing the base fishing level increases the fishing % chance
    - this is why I opted for the Lava Fishing Rod with True Bronze Engraving - this added +1% to the Fishing % chance, and the Spirituality Blessing (+5 Fishing)
    - With everything combined, my fishing % (in fresh and fetid) was at the highest 78%, then 73%, 68%, etc.
    - In fresh water - I moved pretty much with EVERY cast - to try and keep my fishing % as high as possible (and try to keep it above 60%)
    - In fetid water - I moved whenever the fishing % dropped blow 60%. This also included exiting the fishing dungeon and re-entering to reset the fishing %.

- the % involved seemed small - but when you're talking about over 1000 casts and fish caught, it starts adding up (large samples matter)

2) Use Special Baits
    - by "special baits", I mean everything that cannot be purchased from NPC fishing vendors (Red Worms, Minnows)
    - for this contest - I used Hoppers, Drudge Leeches, Pale Leeches
    - from my experience - special baits do not increase fishing % chance (I think % fishing chance is still the primary factor for fishing success, and so it's worth maximizing % fishing chance)
    - my observation/interpretation is that special baits affect the "distribution" of what you catch
    - this is most noticeable in the # of Blood Leeches caught. In the last hour of Fetid Fishing, I used exclusively Drudge Leeches, and caught 4 Blood Leeches in an hour, vs. 2 Blood Leeches caught with Pale Leeches over the course of 6-7 hours of Fetid Fishing
    - again - the shift may seem small, but over thousands of casts - I believe that it makes a difference (and I offer my results from this contest as evidence)
    - I would like to do a test soon with ALL minnows for comparison (for science!)
    - I still believe that you should maximize Fishing % first, and only after that consider using special baits
    - I believe you need large sample sizes to really notice the difference, so you need lots of special bait, and lots of casts (I used 346 special baits over the course of this contest)

Overall

- following this strategy - I caught the most fish, and the largest fish (in every category awarded - largest overall, largest fresh, largest fetid, longest combined length in fresh, longest combined length in fetid)

Distribution of Items Caught vs. Bait Type
    [​IMG]
    - Hopper / Pale Leech are grouped together - since they both offer a "bonus" vs. the "large bonus" from Drudge Leech
    - Pale Leeches were used in the majority of the Fetid fishing (except for the last hour)
    - Drudge Leeches were used in the last hour of Fetid fishing
    - Minnows were used in less than 50 casts (out of 1188 total items caught)

Distribution of Fish Caught vs. Bait Type (excluding Armor and Bait)
    [​IMG]

Distribution of Fetid Bait Caught vs. Bait Type
    [​IMG]
    - note the 4 Blood Leeches caught in 1 hour with Drudge Leeches, vs. the 2 Blood Leeches caught over 6-7 hours with Pale Leeches

Results

Rare Fish Caught
    [​IMG]

Largest Freshwater Fish Caught:
    2.6 Large King Salmon
    [​IMG]
    - personal best for me

Largest Fetid Water Fish Caught: 2.8 Large Alligator Gar
    [​IMG]
    - personal best for me
    - was also the largest overall fish caught in the contest

Longest Combined Length - Fresh Water
    [​IMG]

Longest Combined Length - Fetid Water
    [​IMG]

Large Goliath Catfish 2.4
    [​IMG]
    - personal best for me

In Fetid Fishing Hour #1 - I caught 3 rare fish in 1 hour: (possibly my most ridiculous hour of fishing ever)
    - 2.8 Large Alligator Gar
    - 2.1 Small Sturgeon
    - 1.8 Goliath Catfish

Breakdown Summary
    [​IMG]

Breakdown Detail
    [​IMG]

Length Distribution

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  15. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Sonja likes this.
  16. Kron Caledon

Minnows Only Test!

After compiling all the data above - it occurred to me that this is the perfect opportunity to do a comparison with minnows only.

I wanted to run this test controlling for as many variables as I can - same locations, same method, same skills, same equipment - and only change the bait. Hopefully this will help isolate the effect of baits. If I waited too long (for example, until next release) - then one or more variables might change.

The other variable I changed is the length of time. I decided to do the following:
    - 4 hours of Fresh water fishing
    - 4 hours of Fetid water fishing
    - 2 hours in each of Alpha Fishstick / Rook Strife's fishing dungeons

The Minnows Test was completed on April 18, 2019 (Game Year 564 PC).
    The
    Novia Market Fishing Contest was completed on April 13, 2019 (Game Year 563 PC, October 23 through November 13).
    - This is a few days apart, and different seasons (Autumn vs. Winter). But again - I tried my best to replicate, only so many things I can control.

Even though the amount of time is shorter than the ~18 hours I fished during the contest - I figured that 4 hours in each of Fresh / Fetid fishing still provides sufficiently large sample sizes, and helps even out the variability from a single hour of fishing.

Plus - I can pull out data for contiguous 4-hour blocks of Fetid / Fresh fishing data from the Noma contest - and then run comparisons.

Disclaimer: Same thing here as above - I hand entered each fish and then ran the stats myself - so errors are possible. Please let me know if you notice any discrepancies!

Overall (Minnows Only)
    [​IMG]

By Category (Minnows Only)
    [​IMG]

Hours Fished (Minnows Only)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Equipment and Skills (Minnows Only)
    - Rod:
    Lava Fishing Rod with True Bronze Engraving (+5 Fishing, +10 Lava Fishing Level)
    - Ring: Pax Ring (+33.3% Fishing Bait Recovery Chance)
    - Blessings: Humility (+8% Bait Recovery Chance), Spirituality (+5 Fishing Proficiency)
    - Skills:
    Fishing 120 (+18.0 Fishing Range)
    Bait Recovery 120 (+40.1 Fishing Bait Recovery Chance)
    Freshwater Fishing 115
    Fetid Water Fishing 115
    - Bait:
    Minnow - 100 Used (small bonus to catching in any water type) - over 4 hours of Fresh Water fishing
    Minnow - 90 Used (small bonus to catching in any water type) - over 4 hours of Fetid Water fishing
    [​IMG]

Strategy and Process (Minnows Only)

1) Maximize Fishing % Chance

- exactly same as above

2) Use Only Minnows
    - that's the purpose of the test =)

Overall (Minnows Only)
    - still caught some rare fish (and 3 King Salmon in 4 hours - which is more than I expected)
    - the difference can be seen in the distribution of what is caught (when compared with using Hoppers / Pale Leech / Drudge Leech)
    - using Minnows - you get more common fish, less trophy fish (uncommon and rare fish)

Distribution of Items Caught (Minnows Only)
    [​IMG]

Distribution of Fish Caught (Minnows Only, excluding Armor and Bait)

[​IMG]

Distribution of Fetid Bait Caught (Minnows Only)
    [​IMG]

Results

Rare Fish Caught (Minnows Only)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Longest Combined Length - Fresh Water (Minnows Only)

[​IMG]

Longest Combined Length - Fetid Water (Minnows Only)
    [​IMG]

Breakdown Summary (Minnows Only)

[​IMG]

Breakdown Detail

[​IMG]

Length Distribution
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019