Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

R9 Horrible.

Discussion in 'Release 9 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Aug 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

Reagents should be added last, once all the spells are in place and they've been 'used' tested and balanced. The more people using the spells, the better the end results will be. Once they've been tested, then it's a simple matter of adding cost, in this case reagents.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Duke Violation, Retro, Dane and 6 others like this.
  2. Svahn

Svahn Avatar

I backed Wasteland 2 as well, their Kickstarter ended at 2,9 million dollar.
    I haven't been seen anything about them getting much more than that, do you have a source?

Net and Dartan Obscuro like this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Yes, you can ignore people. Just click on their forum name, and then on the ignore button. My list is huge. :)

4. Drocis the Devious

I don't disagree with this in principle. But the devs are baking and testing "no required reagents" into the cake. I played for 1 hour and decided I still hated it. If they want me to test it that way for 10 more releases with the intent of changing it to require reagents at launch, sure let's do that. It makes sense from a testing standpoint to not require reagents this early in pre-alpha testing.

5. Drocis the Devious

I didn't back it during kickstarter. I didn't know about it until later. But when I bought my copy I swear the following link used to contain an up to date count on the money they had made and at that time it was 20 million.

http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/store

That said, I googled it and couldn't find anything but a few other people speculating on that same number. So I don't know if I remember it wrong, if I read it wrong, if it's right and they decided to take it down. No idea. Sorry for the confusion, I didn't intend to spread rumors.

I guess all we know is that they got almost 3 million during kickstarter and the funds after that are a mystery.

Apollyon9515 likes this.
  6. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

They did have a short month. Keep up the faith. I've said my piece and I'm tired of repeating myself. I didn't care for this release either, but this game will not be remembered for how good it's Alpha Release 9 was. I just hope they can pull it together in a nice polish release.

Lord Baldrith, Kaisa and Apollyon9515 like this.
  7. Drocis the Devious

Yeah, I have over 2300 posts on these forums. A single thread of anger and rage shouldn't be perceived as anything more than feedback in the moment.

8. Dartan Obscuro

Dartan Obscuro Avatar

I kickstarted Wasteland 2. There was a good while before beta was open. And even after it was open it was only available to higher tiers than Shroud's pre-alpha was set. You definitely are looking at two different styles. Shroud's development has been more open than WL2's. And unfortunately it might be showing more of the sausage making than people are comfortable with. WL2's team did a much more traditional approach. They designed everything upfront on paper and then built it out. When they delivered something it was much more mature. Shroud is doing an iterative approach. I would not assume anything is in its final state.

Reagent rules seem really important to you. I have enough dev experience to know that, that kind of thing is pretty much the easiest thing for them to play with. It's like numbers in a spreadsheet. The most unfortunate aspect of the Shroud releases and their approach is that they don't really communicate how set they feel various rules are. I'm not sure if the reagents are: how they are for this release, how they expect them to behave, if they're experimenting or if they're really confident in the design. I think that's because they themselves don't know.

Drocis - I guess I'm saying your feedback is good, but try to keep some perspective. If you're not having fun -- well you are trying to play an incomplete broken game. Maybe you should sit a release or two out until there is one with more interesting things for you.

Gaelis and rune_74 like this.
  9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Well I don't think the reagents thing is that big of a deal. I guess you do. I don't blame you for being upset. This wasn't a great release, and you kept talking about no reagents. No arguing that. If there was a parent company I'm sure the devs would hear far worse stuff, and they would have to change everything according to what that company demands.

At least the devs still have the freedom from a corporate entity they should thank their lucky stars, because they would screw this game up completely. A corporate sponsor would quite frankly pull the plug on this combat system entirely, and all that work would be lost forever. Nevertheless an angry thread should be a good reminder what it would be like under a corporation without the bs of them killing the combat system. Also it serves to remind some people who are just playing and adapting to whatever is being given to them.

Rather than adapting the player base should think critically, and give an honest criticism. Some times a reminder of previous criticisms can help spark the mind of others to say, "Oh yeah, that's right it is happening this way or that...". The devs can choose to ignore it if they want. We all want is the game to succeed. SO it really doesn't matter how mad people are today as long as the end product turns out for the best. At least the devs can hear the comments from the community, just as if it came from a corporation, but not have the miserable burden to be forced to make 180 degree changes in the game.

10. Drocis the Devious

I sat out R9. I only played an hour. That's my feedback. If you make a game where magic is given to everyone day one, I'm not going to be happy with that.

Because I spent a bazillion dollars on this game, built a guild website, participate in just about everything within the community, spend time on the forums....that should count for something. When you see a guy like me just say "well this is crap" and stop playing. You may have designed your game wrong.

But I'm just one person, and I don't speak for anyone but myself. I'm just one voice and I don't deserve anything special despite the money or time I've put into this. The point I'm trying to make though, is that I'm not giving this feedback for any other reason than I think it's critical to the game being better - so at the very least you know you're getting sincere feedback that doesn't have a hidden motive. (and that's pretty valuable)

Before R1 I came on the forums and ranted about the fact that the early demo's didn't have a weapon sheath animation (really it was a little deeper than that but that's the easiest way to describe my concern). One of the devs jumped all over me and said something like "well you should just take a break then because this is so early in development". No, you should just learn how to handle receiving honest feedback and strive to make a better game. Besides, it wasn't like I was saying the game had to have a weapon sheath animation day one, I just thought it was important that by launch it had one. (I'm happy to see that it's available this early in development)

The fact that I have no greater feedback to give is really the saddest part of this thread. I wish I could give more constructive and more valuable observations, but I can't because I'm repulsed by reagents and magic being so devalued and unimmerssive. One hour is not enough time to make more important observations. And like the weapon animation, I'm not saying that reagents need to work the way they will at launch, I'm just saying that the way they are currently (coupled with the devs "current thinking" on the subject) is completely lame.

Ned888 and Lord Baldrith like this.
  11. stile

stile Avatar

Sorry to hear your disappointed. Im loving it and wish i could share that joy with you :(

12. Biblik

Biblik Avatar

Definitely the best release for me so far as well. Last release took me forever to get stuff done now I am getting excellent FPS on a decent machine and really love taking advantage of the time to look at the new stuff.

Baron Drocis I respect your opinion but I honestly feel like this thread is the path to the dark side... Check here for more info - https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...e-monthly-sota-forum-cycle.13666/#post-229427

13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

stated in r9 notes from Darkstar

Well I wouldn't give up hope Baron Drocis. I'm sorry it was a bad time for you. I think Just because it wasn't working as planned this release, doesn't mean it won't work out like you want. I know you will definitely rally for your cause. You do an excellent job of it. So no worries about ranting, we all have our moments, or should I say most of us do. ;)

There are things that are extremely important to each of us and they may totally differ. So it is your turn now, who is next? ;) lol ***cheers***

14. KingRoland

KingRoland Avatar

maybe they think reagents is something that is needed in pvp/loot environment only , so when people flag for pve they wont need them . it makes no sense that a spell need reagents when the mage can still cast after being killed , because he cant get looted

15. KingRoland

KingRoland Avatar

and why raging about reagents ?? this is the most easy thing to implement later on , see no point in that during the pvp release, on such things shoudnt even be worked during the pvp releases or thought about . let them brainstorm about combat only.

16. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Thanks for reminding me of this... I've been meaning to get into the Torment community. Talk about engaging people and enticing them with a great story.... Torment is closer to release I know, but so far SoTA hasn't even touched on how it's going to incorporate virtues, making choices mattter, etc.

17. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Reagents should be in but cheap like spit. More of a hassle than a bank breaker. Up the cost later.

Net likes this.
  18. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I agree that we shouldn't expect the addition of systems that are balanced or explained at this point.

I thought R9 was a decent (albeit evolutionary, not revolutionary) test. It was great to see Ardoris. Its a good demonstration of what a city with a lot of row-lot player housing can be. The lunar rifts to Ardoris and back worked fine. There is a no explanation of them, you just have to time it. The combat deck system felt a little more robust, stable, and sensical this time. It still needs work, but in this release the potential of the system was demonstrated better than the last. Overall, it felt like a polishing release for these things.

My chief issue continues to be with the game's night-cycle darkness. I appreciate the realism, spookiness, etc. of a long night cycle. It does provide a little edge of the seat experience not knowing if a bear is 5 steps ahead on the road. The trouble is that the game delivers that experience more than I want it to. I find that to be causing me more gaming downtime than gaming fun. Maybe when there are more player houses in game with torches, etc. it will be better.

19. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Annoying ....

20. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

The development mentality is exactly the same. Garriott and Starr are also trying to make the kind of game they want to play. You're making a bunch of assumptions and frankly unqualified statements about features and what the features should be based on their initial implementation in a pre alpha. The system to make reagents required is not fully implemented yet most likely due to time and the fact they first need systems to make reagents accessible in enough numbers.

Your blanket statements do not really bring anything to the table as far as helping the developers improve anything nor fix bugs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.